UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2016, 11:46 pm   #1
ITAM805
Nonode

Default It doesn't work?

A guy asked me to repair this classic 80's Boss DD2 digital delay. I think I may have spotted the fault?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0827 (Large).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	117915  
Old 5th Jan 2016, 11:49 pm   #2
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Re: It doesn't work?

STOMP STOMP... fizzle..... oops!!

The burning question is are you going to attempt repair?!?

Cheers,

Kev
Old 6th Jan 2016, 12:08 am   #3
ITAM805
Nonode

Fool that I am Kev, I did. It worked, sort of, but not very well !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fix (Large).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	117918  
Old 6th Jan 2016, 12:11 am   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

An hour or so with some tinned copper wire and PTFE sleeving should sort the electrics. Fixing the mechanics- depends on PCB mounting and space available. Strips of ERBGF epoxy glued across the break both sides top and bottom might work.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Jan 2016, 12:32 am   #5
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I had a couple of experiences with boards cracked right across; although not physically separated the tracks were all broken. One was the deflection board in a Sony PVM2130 professional monitor. My hunch was it would work when reconnected, but the loss of some ground tracks had killed a few semis where HT had got to places it shouldn't. It was a field repair in the desert, so I set it aside until a board was sent from a scrap monitor back home. Another was an ICC5 that I didn't hold out much hope for, but someone challenged me to repair the PCB. I did, and it worked fine!
Old 6th Jan 2016, 12:51 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

When I had too much time on my hands as a teenager, I bought a Hitachi VT-33 at a boot sale. When I got it home, it was obvious that someone had attacked the electronic tuning PCB on the top with an axe or something similar. 20 pieces at a guess. I spent days (literally) glueing it back together and bridging the tracks with tinned copper wire. It was a work of art and worked perfectly. I was delighted, until I realised that the upper and lower head drums were an interesting "gold" colour because they were so worn. It was weeks before I could bring myself to chuck the wretched thing out.
Closed Thread