UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Dec 2015, 4:35 pm   #1
ssaunders
Triode

Default Aladdin Coil Formers

Does anyone happen to have any data on Aladdin Industries coil formers circa 1950's 3/8in diameter, about an inch high, dust slug, twin lug mounting?

I'm looking for accurate dimension information so that I can make some replicas.

Thanks
Old 28th Dec 2015, 9:13 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Aladdin Coil Formers

I've attached a few pics of an Aladdin style former and a rough sketch, which might help.

I say Aladdin 'type' because there is no maker's name on the former, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I've shown the dimensions in mm, though of course at the time, they would have been imperial, but in 'old money' the size does correspond to 3/8" diam x 1" tall, with a 1/4" diameter slug. The former has two pairs of holes in the base for anchoring wire, as well as two for fixing. The top of the former has a rim onto which a paxolin ring with six solder lugs is a push fit.

(The sketch is not to scale, but I hope it has all the info you may need).

As an aside, I wouldn't have thought Aladdin formers would perform well at higher frequencies, being black plastic, which may have a high carbon content and be lossy.

Easy way to find out is to pop one in a microwave oven for say 30 secs, with a bowl of water (but not actually in the water!).

If it doesn't get hot at microwave frequencies it should be fine at HF, if not VHF).

Hope that helps a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Former from above.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	117510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	117511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Former with tagboard on.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	117512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Former underside.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	117513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alladin type Coil Former dimensions.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	117514  

Old 28th Dec 2015, 9:32 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Those style of coil-formers were used in the WWII-era RF25, RF26 and RF27 "Gee" frontends which worked happily up to 80-odd MHz.
Old 28th Dec 2015, 11:05 pm   #4
joebog1
Banned

Alas it's one thing that "hobby" stores don't keep anymore!! I have loads of excellent receiver schematics that I have always wanted to try, but no coil data.
Or if there is coil data there are no formers available to wind them. Another thing that Australian magazines did, was to use "coil packs", where all the coils are mounted onto a sub chassis usually with the mixer/oscillator and RF valve bases attached, and in some cases a very nice 3 gang tuner. One area of my non expertise is RF !! at least RF at DC levels, as the other engineers called HF radio. ( All my experience with RF starts at 2.2 gigs and upwards).
I have tried all the commonly available plastics ( pill bottles, PVC electrical conduit, perspex rod, all with horrible Q ) even paxoilin tubing is now unavailable, and that would do for frequencies up to 30 megs. I did fix one thing though, when all the "old" stores closed down, I bought up every IF transformer I could find!. But that means I only have 455 khZ IF's as FM didn't start until just a few years ago in Australia ( mebbe 30 years ago) and double conversion receivers were not very common here.

I am interested in what ssaunders comes up with !!

regards
Joe
Old 29th Dec 2015, 9:38 am   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
even paxoilin tubing is now unavailable.
Not so; It's still available from Presspahn and others.