UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Oct 2008, 7:02 pm   #1
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cleaning tired veneer

Can anyone suggest something that will clean the accumulation of 70 years of sh**e off of the veneered finish of a cabinet?

My "new" Philco has a tired, I assume, original finish. I'd like to keep it as such as it still has the original "Philco" transfer under the tuning dial.

Regards

John
Old 21st Oct 2008, 8:05 pm   #2
Ian B
Hexode

Default Re: Cleaning tired veneer

If the original finish is dull but not badly scratched I'd try T-cut (used for reviving car paintwork) - try a test patch on a bit of one side first. I had excellent results on an old Marconi set that had spent 30+ years in a loft.

If it's scratched through to the veneer in a lot of places, it might be better to use the Gerry Wells finish reviver:
third pint linseed oil
third pint turpentine (not turps substitute)
third pint vinegar
teaspoon sugar.

Shake the mixture well, and shake frequently in use as the vinegar tries to separate out. Apply liberally, leave for a few minutes, and polish off.
In a recent BVWS bulletin there was an article about using liquid paraffin in a similar way, but I've not tried it myself.

Ian Blackbourn
Old 21st Oct 2008, 8:09 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
In a recent BVWS bulletin there was an article about using liquid paraffin in a similar way, but I've not tried it myself.
Yes, I read that too, it sounded miraculous!

Anyone here tried it? It's easy enough to obtain, e.g. from pet shops: http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-3517-liqu...fin-500ml.aspx

Nick.
Old 21st Oct 2008, 8:16 pm   #4
maitiustandun
Pentode

hi john,ive used dampened fine wire wool impregnated with bees wax polish,with stunning affect, im assuming your philco is the wooden cabinet, and not the 'peoples set'
theres a thread in the archives here sugesting the use of brasso on wood finishes, but just do a small area first somewhere to see how it reacts. good luck in your endevour, regards maitiu.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 8:19 am   #5
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

On looking at the Philco this morning, someone has stained it, over the Philco transfer. Now I have the problem of removing the stain back to the original wood.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 8:32 am   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
If it's scratched through to the veneer in a lot of places, it might be better to use the Gerry Wells finish reviver:
third pint linseed oil
third pint turpentine (not turps substitute)
third pint vinegar
teaspoon sugar.
I've heard that recipe before, with minor variations. Should it be raw or boiled linseed oil?

I haven't looked lately but liquid paraffin always used to be available from any pharmacy.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 8:40 am   #7
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Re the liquid paraffin .,After reading the article i wanted to try but as yet havnt been able to source any. The chemist doesnt do it anymore . i will try the petshop .
With reference to this thread , If the cabinet has been varnished over , its not easy to remove the bad finish from the one underneith . I did once do this with great success on a walnut chair using t cut ! rubbed away the upper finish . then revived the original . was impressed , but hard work and care needed
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 9:49 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
Re the liquid paraffin .,After reading the article i wanted to try but as yet havnt been able to source any. The chemist doesnt do it anymore . i will try the petshop .
They market it for constipated dogs, apparently

I think the Bulletin article implied it was usually something that a pharmacist would have to order specially for you (so possibly expensive, and potentially embarrassing too!).

I too plan to try the pet shop in the first instance.

Nick.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 10:07 am   #9
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

Can't you buy liquid paraffin for paraffin heaters any more? Wouldn't any decent hardware store keep it?
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 10:21 am   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

There are many more pet shops than "decent" hardware stores round here, Patrick, but good point.

Is it definitely the same stuff though?

N.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 10:33 am   #11
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

Dunno. But it's great for starting bonfires!
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 10:43 am   #12
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
Can't you buy liquid paraffin for paraffin heaters any more?
Do not confuse the medicinal "liquid parafin BP" with kerosene fuel used for heaters and jet engines.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 12:00 pm   #13
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Cleaning tired veneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
Do not confuse the medicinal "liquid parafin BP" with kerosene fuel used for heaters and jet engines.
Just to add to the confusion, or not hopefully, BP = British Pharmaceutical NOT British Petroleum

Hand cream such as 'Savlon' could be used maybe, at least it keeps your hands nice and soft there is also a liquid paraffin emollient from chemists called 'Double Base' but that might be available on prescription only, other liquid paraffin products from chemists are Dermol hand creams.

Geof
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 1:06 pm   #14
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello there does seem to be a problem with chemists supplying it, the one I use said that they couldnt get any. Try Ascott smallholdings supplies Ltd. Veterinary supplies. £6-50 for 2 litres (inc. vat.) Buying it through a chemist, if you can works out at over £1-00 for 100 ml.
It does seem to work very well, the radio I have was bleached almost white and the wood was completely 'dry', it has now come up to a lovely walnut with the grain figured beautifully, considering the state it was in it's great.
Cheers.
Geoff.
PS. to remove the dirt etc. I gave it a rub down with white spirit to start with.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 3:42 pm   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 555 View Post
Hello there does seem to be a problem with chemists supplying it, the one I use said that they couldnt get any.
My local petshop was equally helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 555 View Post
Try Ascott smallholdings supplies Ltd. Veterinary supplies. £6-50 for 2 litres (inc. vat.) Buying it through a chemist, if you can works out at over £1-00 for 100 ml.
Yes, they look good, Geoff. With carriage at £6.99, it still works out at a fairly reasonable 67p/100mL. See: http://www.ascott.biz/acatalog/Liqui...res-MD180.html . They accept PayPal. And you can even pick up a handy "wall mounted humane dispatcher" while you're at it

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 22nd Oct 2008 at 3:50 pm.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 3:48 pm   #16
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
They market it for constipated dogs, apparently

Nick.
And in the past, constipated people! It is a clear liquid with the consistency of thin oil.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 3:51 pm   #17
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hmm, onto poultrykeeping now......

Nothing humane about neck snapping!

The liquid parrafin does look like a good price though - I wonder from those that have tried - does it leave the surface sticky?

Cheers
Sean
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 4:20 pm   #18
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Cleaning tired veneer

If it is just general grime then Swafega hand cleaner would be as good as anything. But most hand creams have liquid paraffin as a base.

Geof
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 6:16 pm   #19
Geoff 555
Heptode

AH well the first question I was asked was 'Was I going to consume it?' No said I it's for a radio cue strange looks and 'We cant get it now'.
When it's gone off then it is not sticky at all.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 7:12 pm   #20
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Liquid paraffin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
I wonder from those that have tried - does it leave the surface sticky?

Cheers
Sean
From what I remember, Sean, it does stay a bit sticky. AFAIK it does not evaporate much, or even at all. The appearance and consistency are very much like glycerin.
Not tried it on a cabinet yet, but I might when the need arises.