UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2018, 3:25 am   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Some musings on the Wartime Civilian Receiver.

It's the forum's automatic naughty-word-starring-out feature, which here has been programmed to cover up the name of a website offering free downloads of circuit diagrams which can be bought here and which helps fund the hosting of the site.

It's the same principle as how the landlady in your local pub probably wouldn't be too happy about someone setting up a stall on her premises and handing out free pints of one of the same beers as she serves .....
Old 7th Dec 2018, 10:31 am   #22
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Th forum software could well have picked up something from the link that it doesn't like, but the e-book on Murphy Cabinet Design doesn't contain any service data and AFAIK, isn't available via the forum. Not really an issue as anyone who is interested will soon find it, as I did. I'd happily have any one of the designs on display - all of them if I had the space!

I must try to make it to one of the annual 'Murphy Day' events.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 11:14 am   #23
Herald1360
Dekatron

It's not the particular page (the e-book) that is the issue, it's the site itself which contains a lot of free Murphy service information.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Dec 2018, 11:20 am   #24
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Ah, that explains it then.

Thanks.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 6:24 pm   #25
AC/HL
Dekatron

As Julie and Chris explain, it's why we're subscription and advertisement free (an uncommon but welcome combination these days). We normally like links, they're much easier than potentially obscure references to another location, but from time to time this has been the result and good old plain text is the answer.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 6:52 pm   #26
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

David, Thank you for taking the time to post this, it is really appreciated. I remebered very little about these sets, other than the late start in production.
Rob
Old 11th Dec 2018, 11:02 pm   #27
Techman
Dekatron

I don’t know a lot about these sets. I’ve never owned one, and never worked on one as far as I can remember. However, from observations of the various models shown, here’s some of my ideas on why they are as they are.

Firstly, it’s said that they have a large and well rated mains transformer. This would be quite correct for a ‘peoples’ radio, as it would be reliable and well rated to withstand any possible fault condition, it would also need to be efficient to minimise wastage of power.

The actual chassis is said to be of thicker than you would think necessary metal construction. This would be so that it was strong enough to support that heavy transformer. Also, should the radio be pulled off a table onto a hard floor, the main part of the set, which is the chassis would remain undamaged, with parts within surviving – other than valves, which are easily replaceable.

There’s no dial glass. Again, it’s easily broken and unlike the valves, isn’t really needed, so leave it out.

Why didn’t they make an AC/DC version with series heater chain and a dropper? This is very sensible, as the series heater idea is wasteful of power and is unreliable compared to an AC only model with a good quality mains transformer. The dropper is also likely to get smashed in a fall.

What about areas that were still on DC only mains? Well, that’s what the battery sets were for, as well as the houses with no mains electricity.

The question would be asked regarding the fact that the battery sets would be more expensive to run in the above situations, so why not make an AC/ DC mains set for those who only had DC available? As said, they’re less reliable and more wasteful of power, and unlike a battery set, being mains powered, the owners would tend to leave them on for entertainment, rather than just the important news broadcasts and then turn them off. This wouldn’t happen with owners of battery sets, because they would know the price of HT batteries and accumulator charging, plus the hassle of having to get this done, so the radio would only be used for important listening such as the news, therefore no wastage.

Why put the on/off switch separately on the back? Maybe a pot with a switch combined was actually more expensive than a separate pot and switch, and perhaps a combined unit was considered less reliable and harder and more expensive to replace if just one part of it failed.

Why no long wave? The only BBC station on the long wave was the ‘Light’ program. As has been said, it was closed down during the war, and even if it hadn’t been, as its name suggests, this was an unnecessary ‘entertainment’ type station, so could be done without, as you had all the important informative broadcasts that you needed on medium wave anyway.

The sets had very plain, but solidly made cabinets. That’s all that was needed. No fancy bits to get damaged. No chance of pretending to the person next door that your set was better than theirs, as they would all be the same. If the set fell on the floor, there wasn’t a lot to get damaged, and if it did get physically broken, then any local woodworker could easily repair it or even make a new cabinet. If the cabinet got scratched, or damaged in other ways, you could just paint it with some cheap paint to match your room, again, saving money.

From what I can gather, I think a lot of thought went into designing these sets – the same sort of thinking perhaps as that that went into producing the original Volkswagen Beetle as a ‘People’s Car’ in Germany.

That’s just some of my own personal thoughts. I may have forgotten some other points that I’d thought about during reading this thread, but that’ll do for now.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 8:53 pm   #28
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Just to reiterate that the WCR came about because by 1942 it's was believed that a million domestic sets were out of commission due to lack of spare parts, valves and a lack of skilled labour to repair sets. That wonderful book 'Setmakers' states that the idea of a wartime civilian radio was first raised by the BBC in 1942 shortly after Wireless World published an article stating that maybe a 2-valve austerity set could be designed using parts and materials in use by the armed services. It wasn't until 2 years later that the WCR as we know it, went into production.

The BBC had said half a million sets would be needed, but only 175,000 mains and 75,000 battery models were authorised. By the time they went on sale, it was widely believed that the war was drawing to an end. The Daily Mail published an article stating that the WCR was not a good buy, and that post-war models would soon be available, so the public would be well advised to wait a while. The BBC dealt a further blow to the WCR's prospects by saying that that certain variety programmes would only be broadcast on Long Wave. Hence, many WCRs ended up being sold off at reduced prices after the war as more attractive sets came onto the market from 1945. (It has to be admitted that some - the 1945 Post-war Pilot Little Maestro for example - were also AC Only).

The stated brief for the WCR at a time of great shortage - perhaps most of all, of iron, steel and copper - was: "to design a set with a satisfactory performance using the minimum of materials and labour". For the reasons I stated earlier, whilst it performs reasonably well, the designers fell well short of the need to minimise materials. The only point on which it comes close to meeting the (alleged) paucity of materials is in its austere appearance, not dissimilar to CC41 Utility furniture.

I'm not 'knocking' the set - as a woodworker, I rather like the 'Arts & Crafts' style cabinet.

The cabinet certainly ticks the 'minimum materials and labour' box. (Well it is a 'box'!)

None of us can know the behind-the-scenes politics which had a bearing on the end result, but the role of Government is to 'do the greatest good for the greatest number'. Hence, to allow an AC only set to go into production failed to meet that requirement for half of households that had a mains supply. As to consumption of AC/DC sets, the DAC90A only uses 35 Watts, and in comparing the reliability of mains transformers versus mains droppers, of all the shortcomings of the DAC90A, I've never known a mains dropper or any of the high wattage resistors fail.

One possible reason for the use of so much iron, steel and copper in the WCR may be that by 1944, there wasn't quite the shortage that we were - at the time - led to believe. The Department of Aircraft Production was formed in 1940 by Winston Churchill in response to production problems that winning the Battle of Britain posed. The first Aircraft Production Minister was Lord Beaverbrook, under whose control there was an enormous increase in aircraft production. He later took on the role of Minister of Supply to co-ordinate the supply of equipment and munitions to the armed forces.

It was claimed that materials such as iron, steel and aluminium were in such short supply, (as they may well have been in 1939), that the public could help by donating pots and pans, bicycle frames, iron bedsteads. Even today - almost 80 years on - you don’t have to look too far in many towns before you see the stumps where iron railings had been cut off dwarf stone walls with oxy acetylene torches and the railings carted off for the war effort – such was the shortage of iron and steel, or so we were led to believe.

What actually happened to the railings and other scrap is a mystery and has been a matter of conjecture for decades since. It’s rumoured that far more iron was collected than was needed or could be processed - over one million tons by September 1944. Faced with an oversupply, rather than halt the collection, which had been a unifying effort and of great propaganda value, empowering citizens to ‘do their bit’ for the war effort, the government allowed it to continue.

The ironwork collected was stockpiled away from public view in depots, quarries, railway sidings. After the war, even when raw materials were still in short supply, the widely held view is that the government did not want to reveal that the sacrifice of so much highly valued ironwork had been in vain, and so it was quietly disposed of, or even buried in landfill or at sea.

That is the view of John Farr, author of an article in Picture Postcard Monthly, ('Who Stole our Gates", PPM No 371, March 2010), in which he stated that only 26% of the iron work collected was used for munitions and by 1944 much of it was rusting in council depots or railway sidings, with some filtering through to the post-war metal industry. Yet the public was never told this.

Was there an official cover-up? Farr stated that "most of the pertinent records at the Public Records Office had been shredded" and that hints remain that a cover-up took place to prevent names other than Beaverbrook's being linked to this sad pillage." It’s claimed that it was loaded onto barges and dumped in the Thames Estuary, an account which seems to have originated in a letter to the Evening Standard by journalist Christopher Long in 1984. Long wrote "I believe that many hundreds of tons of scrap iron and ornamental railings were sent to the bottom in the Thames Estuary because Britain was unable to process this ironwork into weapons of war."

Source:

http://www.londongardenstrust.org/fe.../railings3.htm

It's gratifying that with so few made, and of limited use after the war, so many have survived and have found their way into the hands of enthusiasts, myself included.
Old 20th Dec 2018, 12:40 am   #29
jonaldo
Retired Dormant Member

Hi David,

I just wanted to add my thanks to your post - I found it fascinating!

The radios were made before my time and in all honesty, I'd not heard of them but it's fascinating to read about them and think about the context in which they were made. I guess for many products - not just radios - made around this time they also had to consider waste/materials and, from todays outlook, it's very different.

It really must have been quite something to have had a set like this hearing the news about the war. The history that surrounds these items is great to read about.

Thanks again for taking the time to post such a thoughtful comment,
Jonaldo
Old 20th Dec 2018, 9:56 am   #30
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

None of us can know the behind-the-scenes politics which had a bearing on the end result, but the role of Government is to 'do the greatest good for the greatest number'. Hence, to allow an AC only set to go into production failed to meet that requirement for half of households that had a mains supply.
Sorry to ask again, but why do you keep saying this? Is there any source that comes close to confirming it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Hello David,

I can't think where you found that statistic. The Broadcaster Trade Annual's 1937 market survey gives figures for Great Britain of 5,607,639 homes with an AC mains supply: 990,404 with DC mains; and 4,784,169 "unwired". The same source says that half a million homes were changing from DC to AC annually: clearly that rate of change can't have persisted for long with under a million DC-fed homes to begin with, but it does indicate that DC supplies would have been a pretty small minority by 1944.

Paul
Old 20th Dec 2018, 10:32 am   #31
stevehertz
Dekatron

So it was a very good, somewhat decent, or at least not a minimalist set, yet it had a plain, pine, box shaped, 'unpolished' cabinet? Doesn't add up somehow. On the one hand it has 'utility' written all over it, on the other, not?!
Old 20th Dec 2018, 11:07 am   #32
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
I don't think it quite meets that specification. It's often mistakenly referred to (even by Wikipedia) as the 'Wartime Utility Receiver'. It wasn't, as I'll explain.
I was never attracted by the WCR but this is very interesting write-up.

Thanks for posting David.

Peter
Old 20th Dec 2018, 3:35 pm   #33
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
So it was a very good, somewhat decent, or at least not a minimalist set, yet it had a plain, pine, box shaped, 'unpolished' cabinet? Doesn't add up somehow. On the one hand it has 'utility' written all over it, on the other, not?!
Well designed, built to last and to do its job effectively, but with a plain, unornamented finish which never managed to win the approval of the general public: surely entirely in keeping with the "utility" ethos?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_furniture

Paul
Old 20th Dec 2018, 4:02 pm   #34
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Perhaps it was necessary for it to look like a 'utility' set even though inside it was not? Unless, of course, metal alloys/ceramic for a dropping resistor was in even shorter supply than iron and copper for a transformer.
Old 20th Dec 2018, 4:09 pm   #35
Vintage_RC
Heptode

I have many happy memories of the Wartime Civilian Receiver as it was the household radio I grew up with. I remember that when I had the usual childhood illnesses like measles (no vaccines then) my father would bring the radio up to my bedroom and let me listen to Radio Luxembourg for a couple of hours in the evening. In the 1960's the set was replaced with a PAM TB90 (early tabletop transistor radio) which I still have and the WCR ended up in my hobby room. After I left home it must have been disposed of as it wasn't there when I cleared my parents house after they had passed away.
Old 20th Dec 2018, 4:30 pm   #36
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Well designed, built to last and to do its job effectively, but with a plain, unornamented finish which never managed to win the approval of the general public: surely entirely in keeping with the "utility" ethos?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_furniture

Paul
Well, that's my view too.
Old 20th Dec 2018, 6:48 pm   #37
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:

None of us can know the behind-the-scenes politics which had a bearing on the end result, but the role of Government is to 'do the greatest good for the greatest number'. Hence, to allow an AC only set to go into production failed to meet that requirement for half of households that had a mains supply.
Sorry to ask again, but why do you keep saying this? Is there any source that comes close to confirming it?

Quote:
Hello David,

I can't think where you found that statistic. The Broadcaster Trade Annual's 1937 market survey gives figures for Great Britain of 5,607,639 homes with an AC mains supply: 990,404 with DC mains; and 4,784,169 "unwired". The same source says that half a million homes were changing from DC to AC annually: clearly that rate of change can't have persisted for long with under a million DC-fed homes to begin with, but it does indicate that DC supplies would have been a pretty small minority by 1944.

Paul
Thanks for reading the thread Paul and for your observations.

No - I can't provide any provenance to underpin my statement as to the proportion of households still on DC in the early 1940s. It's some years since I put the notes together on that and didn't retain the source of the data. Hence, by all means treat the figures with scepticism. That said, to take the figures you quote above, close on a million households - 1 in 7 of those with a mains electricity supply, were still on DC Mains.

Whilst taking the figures at face value, it would be interesting to know where The Broadcaster Trade Annual's 1937 Market Survey obtained their figures from, (note the word 'Survey'), to be able to state them with such a remarkable degree of precision. Just after the war, when The Electricity Act 1947 came into force in preparation for the nationalisation of electricity, it brought together the distribution and supply activities of no fewer than 505 separate organisations in England and Wales under state control and integrated them into 12 regional Area Electricity Boards.

Source:

https://www.myutilitygenius.co.uk/gu...f-electricity/

It's reasonable to assume that a similar disparate number of electricity distribution and supply companies existed in 1937 [even back in 1921 there were more than 480 authorised suppliers of electricity in the UK]. I can't imagine that The Broadcaster Trade's Annual got in touch with them all to ascertain precisely how many customers they had and whether they were on AC or DC. It doesn't really matter - the fact is that whatever the proportion, in normal times it would be down to individual manufacturers to decide whether or not it was worthwhile - even before the war - to bother to cater for a diminishing number of households on DC mains.

However, when the only domestic radio they were allowed to make during the war was under government direction, I'd reiterate that in my view (which others may not concur with), the government should have ensured that the radio catered for those on AC & DC mains. Even Bush did that in 1948 when the AC/DC DAC90A was launched at the 'Britain Can Make it' exhibition, though probably with an eye to minimising production costs. As I said at the outset, not only would an AC/DC set have met the needs of all with a mains supply, it would have been far more economical in the use of scarce resources - copper and steel - to meet the supposed 'minimalist' design criteria, which they seem to have taken little note of.

I doubt much progress was made with conversion from DC to AC during the war due to restoring power supplies arising from war damage.

As the WCR was so late in coming to the market (July 1944) few of the 175,000 sold before the end of the war in Europe (V.E Day - May 8 1945). Adverse publicity in the press stating that the sets weren't a good buy were countered by the Radio Manufacturers' Association. but unfavourable publicity persisted. Two weeks before the end of the war in Europe, because of concerns that it might damage the sale of WCRs, the RMA decided to withhold publicity on the industry's post-war reconstruction in an attempt to shift the unsold sets. As I mentioned earlier, another nail in the coffin of the WCR was the BBC's announcement that certain variety programmes would only be broadcast on Long Wave.

Source: 'Setmakers' - Geddes & Bussey.

It's likely that most were sold off at reduced prices after the war. Not so much a 'WCR' more a 'BBB' - 'bargain basement buy'.

Whatever the machinations or motivations of those involved in bringing the set to market, they're an interesting conversation piece and I'm pleased that I have one, which I enjoyed restoring. 175,000 was quite a short production run, and whilst they're not 'rare' they're certainly uncommon.

Incidentally, by 1944, the radio industry had expanded to two and a half times its pre-war scale to meet the war effort, so by October 1944 the RMA formulated the idea of a 'recovery period' to end on 31 March 1946. During that period, only pre-war manufacturers were permitted to manufacture sets in proportion to their pre-war share of the market. As things settled down, this additional capacity was soon employed in meeting the post-war market for TVs as well as radios.

Within 3 months of V.E. day, radio chassis were coming off the assembly line, but there was a severe shortage of timber, so there were no cabinets in which to house the chassis.

('Setmakers' page 281).

So, a plentiful supply of steel and copper, but bizarrely, a shortage of timber.

Maybe native softwood and timber mill capacity was much needed for bomb damage reconstruction, and hardwood veneers for Utility furniture?

Thanks for the interest shown in this thread.
Old 20th Dec 2018, 8:07 pm   #38
ms660
Dekatron

Electricity Before Nationalization by Leslie Hannah gives a good insight from what I've seen, unfortunately I can't get it all online but here's a link to the book:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...hannah&f=false

Lawrence.
Old 20th Dec 2018, 9:31 pm   #39
David G4EBT
Dekatron

That's well spotted Lawrence - thanks for the tip-off - it looks an interesting well researched book.

90 pages is a fair preview, but to get the rest, we have to buy it and it's out of print.

Luckily enough, there were two on Amazon Marketplace. I tried to buy one, but someone pipped me at the post when I went to 'checkout', so I snaffled the other at just £3.35. Condition stated as 'Used - Very Good'. I've bought five secondhand books from Amazon Marketplace in recent months with the same description - all were pristine, none had even been opened. Prices were: £1.11, £1.54, two at £0.40p and one for a penny. I don't pretend to understand the business model that finds such prices viable, but as a recipient, that suits me fine.

I'll enjoy reading it, but when I've done so, I promise not to inflict the forum with yet more voluminous verbiage in this thread!
Old 20th Dec 2018, 9:47 pm   #40
ms660
Dekatron

From most accounts two thirds of households had electricity by the time WW2 broke out, that's from various Google book snippets and a BBC source (The Secret Life of The National Grid) but no references were given that I've noticed so far.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 20th Dec 2018 at 9:50 pm. Reason: Addition
Closed Thread