UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2018, 1:49 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Some musings on the Wartime Civilian Receiver.

The 'WCR' often crops up in restoration stories and I guess that most of us who want one have got one, including myself.

Certain myths and opinions about the set have taken root around the set, notably that it was the product of austerity and used the bare minimum of materials and labour to produce. Without wishing to trash the efforts of those who designed and produced it during an era when minds were on the war effort, I don't think it quite meets that specification. It's often mistakenly referred to (even by Wikipedia) as the 'Wartime Utility Receiver'. It wasn't, as I'll explain.

I've complied these wordy notes over time from various sources for my own interest, and thought they may interest others. If not, file under 'burn before reading!

The set was designed by G.D Reynolds of Murphy Radio and produced by more than forty manufacturers.

By 1942, an estimated 1 million sets were out of action due the lack of spare parts or valves as industry was geared to the war effort. There was also a shortage of skilled people to repair them as most were called up to the Armed Services. Though it was described as a ‘Wartime Civilian Receiver’ perhaps due to other priorities it didn’t go into production until June 1944, (after D-Day), so it was rather 'late on parade' less than a year before the war ended, albeit that wasn’t to be known at the time.

An estimated 175,000 mains sets were sold, and 75,000 battery sets.

The ‘WCR’ - maybe due to its austere utilitarian appearance - is sometimes incorrectly referred to as a Wartime ‘Utility’ Receiver but that isn’t correct. 'Utility' had a specific meaning, and had the set been a 'Utility item' it would have been a ‘controlled commodity’ stamped with the 'CC41' Utility logo - a British Board of Trade requirement that appeared on footwear, utility furniture, textiles and utility clothing for just over ten years from 1941.

Many such items required coupons – CC41 furniture for example was mostly reserved for people re-housed due to bomb damage, and for newlyweds setting up home. CC41 meant "Controlled Commodity" indicating that the item met the government's austerity regulations. The austerity provisions governed precisely what could or could not be used in the manufacture of clothes and shoes (E.G: the number of buttons, pleats or pockets, height of heels, amount of lace or embroidery, no turn-ups on trousers and no double-breasted suits).

A ‘luxury’ - not a 'necessity'?

Though the government was keen to broadcast to a many households as possible to keep the nation informed (sometimes 'misinformed') and to boost morale, the WCR - as with many goods, carried Purchase Tax, which meant it was in the ‘luxury goods’ category – not a ‘necessity’. At £12.3s.4d inc Purchase Tax, the WCR wasn’t cheap – that equates to £530 in 2018. In contrast, the Pilot Little Meastro, introduce in February 1939, cost £5.5s.0d (Equivalent to £335 in 2018).

Purchase Tax was levied between 1940 and 1973 on the wholesale value of luxury goods sold in the UK. It was introduced on 21 October 1940, with the stated aim of reducing wastage of raw materials during World War II. Initially set at a rate of 33⅓%, it was subsequently set at differing rates dependent upon the individual item’s degree of "luxury" as determined by the government of the day. Items deemed as 'necessities' were designated as tax-free. (Sometimes cabinets would be taxed as furniture - chassis taxed at a different rate).

Minimum Materials & Labour?

It’s claimed that the set was designed to give satisfactory performance with the minimum of materials and labour, but that doesn’t stand close examination. The first thing that’s noticeable is its size and weight. A glance inside shows a large mains transformer, a deep heavy gauge steel chassis, a large speaker and large sized IFTs with steel cans. True, the 'cabinet' (really just a ‘box’ with a single coat of varnish), was plain and made of two layers of native pine veneer with a single low grade core, so not really ‘plywood’ in the traditional sense. It had no glass in the dial, but why not? Glass is made from sand – hardly a scarce material, and only about 2” x 3” was needed. Thousands of acres of glass were being produced weekly to replace bomb-damaged windows. Much of that new glass was recycled as off-cuts that could have been used, but at least the lack of a glass dial obviated damage in transit or use.

The label urged users to switch off the set for economy, but inconveniently sited an on/off toggle switch on the rear of the set, rather than the switch being ganged with the volume control. (On my set, it needed a new volume control so I fitted one with a switch).

It’s claimed that the use of a ‘Westector’ for detection ‘saved a valve’. Huh?

It didn’t - valves such as the EBL31 – a double diode pentode, existed, (as later used in the Ekco A22), which used one diode for rectification - the other for AGC. but maybe such valves were needed for the ear effort? The pre-war Little Maestro (though it had a five valve line-up) used a 6Q7G double diode tride, though admittedly that was an American valve. Despite being LW/MW and AC/DC, the Little Maestro weighs a third less than the WCR, is smaller, has a lower component count and is attractive. Thus, it could be argued that the combined wit of the UK radio industry could have come up with a WCR design that used less materials. Pilot managed that, half a decade before.

It’s sometimes claimed that MW only was an 'economy measure', but that isn’t strictly so.

There were no LW UK broadcasts during the war as LW was only transmitted from Droitwich, which ceased transmissions in wartime as it could otherwise have been used by enemy aircraft as a ‘direction finding beacon'. Conversely, whereas all regional UK broadcast stations had varied in their programme content before the war, during the war, they broadcast the same programmes simultaneously from all regional transmitters so the enemy couldn’t distinguish one transmitter from another.

The WCR was AC only, yet more than half of households that had electricity were on DC mains.

Not only did this mean that more than half of homes couldn’t use it, it also meant that a mains transformer was needed, and a heavy one at that, using copper, steel and energy to produce it. Why not an AC/DC receiver using a mains dropper, such as the Pre War Pilot 'Little Maestro', making it less greedy for material, and able to be used by all households that had a mains electricity supply? True, there was a battery model, but it was heavy on current, calling for accumulators to be regularly recharged, and HT batteries to be bought.

It wasn’t until 1948 that the generation and distribution of electricity was nationalised, and at that time 25% of UK homes still had no main electricity. Of those that did, some 50% were on DC. I grew up in Nottingham and our house wasn’t converted to AC until 1960. (During and after the war, we had a ‘Rediffusion’ set – basically a speaker in a box with a switch to receive pre-set stations).

Addition of LW:

On 29 July 1945, the LW Light Programme from Droitwich went live on 1500 Metres. Various WCR sets were converted at the factory to shift remaining stocks – the black LW/MW dial with yellow lettering was made by GEC. Some WCRs were converted on a DIY basis or by repair shops, to varying standards.

I don’t know when it ceased production, but as other sets came not the market it will have quickly have fallen out of favour, except with the likes of us!

A two-page BVWS Bulletin article ‘Some Notes on the Wartime Civilian Receiver’ is here:

http://www.bvws.org.uk/publications/...letin_15_1.pdf

Makers Codes can be found here:

http://classicwireless.co.uk/warcivb.htm

I don't want to appear to be 'knocking' the WCR or overly critical - it was a different era with different priorities.
Others may have a different take on things, which is fine - I'm not trying to start an argument!

The term 'austerity' is often bandied about and means different things to different people, but 'disadvantage' is relative to the times in which we live. I was born in June 1939 just before the onset of war. Rationing didn't completely end until 1954, the year I started work, and shortages were commonplace. Austere, yes, but everyone was in the same boat - you didn't yearn for what you didn't have and for all but the very rich, the war years and 1950s were a levelling factor. Credit wasn't available, so you couldn't spend what you didn't have, and many of the things that people yearn for today weren't available.

Today, a 'total disaster' is forgetting to put your smartphone on charge, and 'going to hell and back' is a spat on twitter. Nowadays, some people have two homes - others live in tents, so 'comparative disadvantage' is far wider, as evidenced each time we turn on the TV or when in car parks, where vehicles which cost £35k - £55k are commonplace.

Different worlds.

Hope these ramblings are of interest to someone out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear of Wartime Civvy set.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	174000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front of Wartime Civvy set.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	174001  
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:29 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Some musings on the Wartime Civilian Receiver.

I have one (mains) plus a couple of battery ones and I believe long wave on one of them.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:50 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

A few mentions of it in 1940's Hansard, referred to as a Utility Set!
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:54 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

David's comments on the WCR are fascinating: there's also a page or so of relevant discussion of WCRs in "The Setmakers" - including how the manufacturers had to stop printing "Wartime Civilian Receiver" on the outside of the boxes because so many of them were getting pilfered in transit by light-fingered railway-workers.

If the manufacturers of the WCR had intended it to be a truly 'cheap and cheerful' Utility-receiver to be produced at lowest component- and labour-cost then they would have gone for something more akin to the Volksempfanger [AC/DC technique, simple 0-V-1 regen+AF circuit, and in many cases a 'reed' loudspeaker]. The WCR was somewhat more-upmarket! That the designers failed to really address the issue of widespread DC mains-supplies is intriguing though. OK, the 'battery' version was for those houses that didn't have any mains at all - I wonder if there were ever any kind of 'battery-eliminators' produced (either during WWII or afterwards when the unsold stocks of WCRs became just so much more Government Surplus to be disposed-of) to let the battery-versions of the WCR run on DC mains?
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:56 pm   #5
paulsherwin

It does seem to be an odd design given the requirement. An AC/DC short superhet in a bakelite case would have been cheaper to produce and more versatile. I suspect the WCR has an element of committee design about it.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 3:16 pm   #6
ronbryan
Octode

I think that wartime production economy measures focussed on a small range of 'receiving' valves and this measure prevented designs using series heater mains valves which would have been needed for DC mains sets.

Ron
Old 5th Dec 2018, 3:29 pm   #7
G4XWDJim
Octode

It does look to be an expensive to produce cheap set and I've always suspected that a big manufacturer such as Pye or Phillips had most of the basics in their stockpiles intended for another design that had to be delayed when the the war interrupted. They were then able to re-use these stocks as the WCR.

I've never wanted one. The only one I was ever offered along with a round Ekco and a Peoples set was pretty scruffy needing a complete refurb and I thought veneering it in Walnut would probably have caused consternation in the ranks.

Jim
Old 5th Dec 2018, 3:47 pm   #8
DangerMan
Heptode

As ever, there are many different ways of looking at things.

I suspect that use of valves that had been in large scale production for military purposes was a one of the design considerations.
Many of those valves were interchangeable with those from other manufacturers, both UK or US ones, and had 6.3V heaters.

Series heaters would have been more difficult in that respect due to different voltage and current requirements between individual makers, and then there is a question of different bases to factor in. Not many series heater valves many were in large scale production for military use as there's no mains voltage in tanks, lorries or aircraft.

Output valves with diodes, such as EBL31 and PEN453DD were also fairly specific to each maker and not interchangeable with each other by a long way, and then variable mu i.f. pentodes with integrated diodes would also be scarce oddballs.

Similarly, I suspect that things such as the decent 6 inch speaker size was selected because each manufacturer had a suitable equivalent item available. It's noticeable that the i.f. transformers are different between makers, usually of their own house style/make and Pye notably didn't bother to screen one of them at all.

As for the cabinet, they might look the same but their individual construction varies considerably from maker to maker, and they could (and were, if my examples are anything to go by) be quickly and cheaply made from flat pieces of ropey plywood by any woodworking shop whilst looking the same outwardly.

True, they could have been made more cheaply as TRF's or AC sets with live chassis and a heaters-only transformer but in many ways I think it's a credit to G D Reynolds and the overseeing powers that they weren't.

Pete
Old 5th Dec 2018, 6:08 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks everyone for bothering to wade through the verbiage and to comment.

I think that for the reasons stated, whilst visually it may look utilitarian and 'minimalist' the claimed economies in design and production don't stand close examination. But the main shortcoming was that being AC only, it failed to meet the needs of 50% of households with a mains electricity supply, whereas the need for it to be capable of being used in all such households should surely should have been an essential requirement towards the top of the list.

I suspect that the design was 'rubber stamped' by the 'powers that be' - a little thing in a busy day. It's inconceivable that had whoever did approve the design had been told: "Oh by the way, just a small point - only half of the households who have electricity will be able to use the set", that it would ever have gone into production.

It's sometimes said that 'a camel is a horse designed by a committee' and though the set was nominally 'designed by G.D Reynolds of Murphy Radio' as Paul Sherwin remarked, maybe it has an element of other fingers in the pie, given that more than forty makers were involved in producing the set, but we can only speculate as to what went on behind the scenes.

Come what may, 'iconic' or 'eccentric' depending on one's perspective, it's certainly a talking point!
Old 5th Dec 2018, 6:23 pm   #10
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Good points in original post.
Also though it was less than a year before the war ended, the LW situation was worse than that, as a large number sold less than 6 months before LW restarted. Compared with the rest of the design, omitting LW to save a couple of cheap parts was in retrospect a poor decision and was criticised in 1945.
Bakelite needs expensive tooling/moulds and while it was cheaper than wooden cabinets in 1930s and 1950s in volume it may have needed imported materials in short supply.
Straight after WWII, the radio makers couldn't use up their quota due to shortages of suitable wood. There seems to be only a few Bakelite sets then, some using existing moulds. Hence several portable models used Perspex (plenty war surplus stock, the Model C and the Pye), there were also plastic and metal cases 1945 to 1948.

I wonder were some of the cabinets recycled tea chests?

Some of the valves may have been USA imports. The USA DC sets were designed for 110V (hence UK sets with 110V dropping line cords). None of the military sets I know used series valves. I guess they thought having AC only and a battery version was simpler?
Also running an aerial wire to a primitive air raid shelter was easier than mains?

I was surprised how late the set was (1944). However it seems that production was only hit badly from 1941 and the spares situation was bad from 1942. Valve production and imports were partially for military gear, but also specific models for proximity detectors in almost every bomb. Otherwise the bomb explodes too deep in the ground.

Considering that there were constraints of parts to use and no doubt oversight of a committee, the AC and battery models seem reasonable. Though the cost of the set would have dwarfed cost of LW parts.

A TRF to be useful needs a regeneration control. Unless there is good well isolating RF amp, the TRF can leak when there is too much feedback. It's easy to change it to be a CW transmitter. A superhet is easier to operate and the designer has control over the RF LO leakage.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 9:05 pm   #11
1100 man
Octode

A fascinating read, David and some interesting points raised! I suspect the points suggested by Dangerman may well be near the truth. The fact that several manufacturers were going to make it and what valves and materials were actually available in quantity would have determined many of the design decisions.

I am sure they were well aware of people on DC mains and I'm sure they would have used series valves with a dropper if sufficient quantities of series valves were available.
So not a 'utility' design made as cheaply as possible, but rather a design constrained by many rather bizarre criteria which the aftermath of the war dictated.

I must say I really like the cabinet style- plain and un-fussy, but really pleasing to look at!

All the best
Nick
Old 5th Dec 2018, 10:00 pm   #12
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post

I must say I really like the cabinet style- plain and un-fussy, but really pleasing to look at!

Nick
I'd agree with that - it's got an 'Arts & Crafts' look to it.

Given that it was attributed to Dr Reynolds at Murphy, I suspect that Eden Minns and RD Russell, who designed most of the Murphy wooden cabinets from the 1930s to the 1950s may have had a hand in the cabinet design. There's a splendid 85-page e-book that can be downloaded FOC about Murphy Cabinets with many illustrations. I find all of them appealing. It can be viewed and downloaded from this link:

http://www.*************************..._1930-1950.pdf

There's one in the V&A Museum, which is described thus:

Quote:

Room 74, Twentieth Century Gallery label:

CIVILIAN RECEIVER, KNOWN AS THE 'UTILITY' OR 'INDUSTRY' SET
Designed by Dr. G.D. Reynolds (active 1940s), of Murphy Radio Ltd.
Made by Murphy Radio Ltd., Welwyn Garden City (Chassis code U7), Great Britain, 1944
3 Valves; pinewood cabinet

This model was produced under Government directive by 42 different companies to counter shortage of domestic sets. An M.P. commented that
'whilst the components of the new Utility sets are very good and efficient, the outside appearance is cheap and nasty.'

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O6...-reynolds-g-d/

End quote.

So even the V&A and a Philistine MP mistakenly refer to it as a 'Utility set'!

Ho hum...if the MP had been asked 'Do you know what wood it's made from?' I guess he'd have said firewood or 'tree wood'.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 10:40 pm   #13
PJL
Dekatron

I am sure there are a multitude of factors that influenced the ultimate design. Another consideration is the US lend-lease program might have left us with stock piles of UK valve production. I have one I bought from a car boot for a couple of pounds which has a bit of woodworm confined to the trim on the front - perhaps I should finally get around to restoring it.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 10:46 pm   #14
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

So even the V&A and a Philistine MP mistakenly refer to it as a 'Utility set'!

Ho hum...if the MP had been asked 'Do you know what wood it's made from?' I guess he'd have said firewood or 'tree wood'.

But the inverted commas could well imply "so called".
Utilitarian if not actual CC41 Utility.

Incidentally I am ashamed to admit I wasn't aware of these Civilian radio sets until seven or eight years ago, reading this forum.

I was aware of the CC41 scheme, as a small boy I remember asking my mother why our blankets had a peculiar label that looked to me like a pair of black eyes, and she explained about Utility commodities.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 11:43 pm   #15
ukcol
Rest in Peace

What an interesting write up David.

I particularly enjoyed the historical context you provided in your piece.
Old 6th Dec 2018, 12:37 am   #16
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

Incidentally I am ashamed to admit I wasn't aware of these Civilian radio sets until seven or eight years ago, reading this forum.
That's what I love about this forum- you find out about things you have never even considered before! I was unaware of the CC41 scheme or the Civilian radio until reading David's post.

All the best
Nick
Old 6th Dec 2018, 9:30 pm   #17
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

I don't know why the useful link is blanked
Search Murphy radio 1930-1950 and it's the first link. Lovely document.
Old 6th Dec 2018, 10:25 pm   #18
Herald1360
Dekatron

Possibly it included a circuit which is available here:

https://www.service-data.com/product...42/8572/t16542

Googling "Murphy radio 1930-1950" doesn't take me anywhere useful, though, unless you know where to look.
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 6th Dec 2018 at 10:32 pm.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 12:11 am   #19
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
It wasn’t until 1948 that the generation and distribution of electricity was nationalised, and at that time 25% of UK homes still had no main electricity. Of those that did, some 50% were on DC.
Hello David,

I can't think where you found that statistic. The Broadcaster Trade Annual's 1937 market survey gives figures for Great Britain of 5,607,639 homes with an AC mains supply: 990,404 with DC mains; and 4,784,169 "unwired". The same source says that half a million homes were changing from DC to AC annually: clearly that rate of change can't have persisted for long with under a million DC-fed homes to begin with, but it does indicate that DC supplies would have been a pretty small minority by 1944.

Paul
Old 7th Dec 2018, 12:18 am   #20
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. Watterson View Post
I don't know why the useful link is blanked
Search Murphy radio 1930-1950 and it's the first link. Lovely document.
Don't know how that happened.

I've tried to post the link again and for whatever reason, it doesn't work.

It works fine if I paste it into Word, so I guess it must be something to do with how the forum software run crates web addresses.

A Google search on 'Murphy Radio Cabinet Design 1930s - 1950s' should find it.

It's very intesting 85-page copiously illustrated write-up by someone who worked with Eden Minns & RD Russell who designed the classic Murphy wooden cabinets. The many pages of illustrations were from glass photographic plates saved from the skip in the nick of time when the factory closed down.
Closed Thread