UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2018, 11:55 am   #21
roadster
Triode

Default Re: Dansette Severn

Hmmm.... I must have disturbed something while I was checking all the continuity around the speaker etc. It burst into life the next time I switched it on!

The wiring to the speaker is a bit of a mess and goes via 2 outlets at the back of the cabinet marked "Tape" and L.S. (Left Speaker?)
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 12:04 pm   #22
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster View Post
The wiring to the speaker is a bit of a mess and goes via 2 outlets at the back of the cabinet marked "Tape" and L.S. (Left Speaker?)
Welcome to the world of Dansette wiring - I restored a Dansette Monarch which had two speakers and lots more wiring!

I think L.S. just means Loud Speaker i.e. if you want to connect an external speaker??

I'm convinced that the long cable runs to the sockets at the back of the cabinet are partly the cause of residual hum in these players?
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 12:18 pm   #23
roadster
Triode

I need to spend a bit more time on the deck to get it operational so I can try a record on it.

I'll report back.
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 12:29 pm   #24
Station X

The sockets in the speaker feed path probably incorporate break or changeover contacts and these are more likely to be the cause of your problems rather than the wiring. Clean them using fine glass paper drawn between the contacts.

In view of Lawrence's comments in post #19 I suggest checking the values of the resistors using your meter on a resistance range. POWER OFF of course and don't forget to zero the pointer at the right hand end of the scale with the test leads shorted together.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:22 pm   #25
roadster
Triode

I'm working on the cabinet now, I have cleaned it down with neat Stardrops on a soft nail brush and old toothbrush for the difficult to reach bits but I'm left with some rust marks on the Rexine covering. Is there a method of removal or bleaching out the colour of these marks?

I have tried a test patch of shoe renovating cream on the underside of the cabinet {Dark Blue} which looks good. The area that has the rust stains is a grey / cream colour that I hope to use a lighter blue colour on but I don't think it would cover the stains.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:41 pm   #26
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I use Cif (formerly Jif) on a medium toothbrush to lighten rust stain marks on Rexine.
Do it a little at a time as Cif is abrasive. Rust stains are often caused by rusting cabinet panel pin heads under the Rexine.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 3:02 pm   #27
roadster
Triode

Before and after.

Although it may look like there isn't much difference an amazing amount of grime came off.

I may try some dilute bleach on the cream / gray to equalise the colour. But I understand that bleach reacts with rust and locks it in even more?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181205_103812.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	174005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181205_134402.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	174006  
Old 5th Dec 2018, 3:03 pm   #28
roadster
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I use Cif (formerly Jif) on a medium toothbrush to lighten rust stain marks on Rexine.
Do it a little at a time as Cif is abrasive. Rust stains are often caused by rusting cabinet panel pin heads under the Rexine.
I'll give that a try.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 4:51 pm   #29
roadster
Triode

I was cleaning the metal parts with "Astonish", similar to Cif, tried a gentle rub on some of the marks and it worked.
Old 6th Dec 2018, 3:33 pm   #30
John10b
Nonode

I have successfully used My Muscle Kitchen Spray on some badly marked Rexine covered cabinets.
Cheers
John
Closed Thread