UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2018, 9:58 pm   #1
Panrock
Nonode

Default Pre-war set on Tomorrow's World

Amazing what's on YouTube. In an idle moment tonight I went looking for - and found straight away - the episode marking 50 years of television in 1986, which features my working Marconiphone 702.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew14Wxj7DXk

No, the picture wasn't really as dim and blue as that! Mind you, at the time my set was still on the first of its two Emiscope 6/6 tubes. This was presumably the set's original tube. The later tube was brighter.

I acquired the set in 1983. Values weren't high then. I paid £50, and that was through a middle man making a profit. I eventually sold this set on in 2010 for 'quite a bit more'.

1125-line HDTV was demonstrated on the programme too - very impressive - and there was mention of the "flat panels of the 21st century", which have come true as promised.

Steve

Last edited by Panrock; 30th Nov 2018 at 10:07 pm. Reason: corrected date
Old 30th Nov 2018, 10:26 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Pre-war set on Tomorrow's World

Lovely stuff Steve. Memories..
Old 30th Nov 2018, 11:49 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

"As you can see, the pictures on this (Japanese 1125 line set) are quite superb"

Classic!
Old 1st Dec 2018, 1:20 am   #4
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
"As you can see, the pictures on this (Japanese 1125 line set) are quite superb"

Classic!
Haha If I may briefly stray from TV to radio but very much in a similar vein that takes me back some 40 years or more when I was working at LBC and a programme producer keen to demonstrate the quality of recently introduced direct cut vinyl ignored my protestations and insisted that I dubbed it to to 1/4" tape as he found that easier to work with on transmission.

I can't remember if he was also the presenter or if it was someone else but whoever it was extolled the virtues of direct cut to the listeners then cued me to play the track upon which I fired off the dub complete with added tape hiss plus whatever processing we used at the time and in those days we simulcasted on MW as well as VHF so many of our listeners wouldn't have benefited even if the producer had agreed to playing the disc direct.
Old 1st Dec 2018, 7:57 am   #5
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the link Steve - most interesting and nostalgic.
Old 1st Dec 2018, 10:58 am   #6
Panrock
Nonode

1986 was also the year of a large exhibition of old television sets at the Festival Hall. Many were shown working and a pre-war room setting was included with (I think) an HMV 902. Concert goers could drop in 'to sample the wonder of television' on the way in to their performance.

Some here may have contributed their sets? I provided two pre-war, but the great majority came from the collection of John Gillies.

Steve
Old 1st Dec 2018, 1:01 pm   #7
peter_scott
Dekatron

I remember seeing your 702 operating Steve and it certainly looked much brighter than in the TW studio. A lovely set.

Peter
Old 1st Dec 2018, 1:05 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I remember Steve, seeing that set in your house when I called with Andy E a long time ago.
Old 1st Dec 2018, 2:42 pm   #9
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Ah yes, I remember seeing this set, many moons ago, in Steve's house. Pretty sure it was the first time I'd seen a prewar set in the flesh, but even if it wasn't then it was certainly the first time I'd seen one running.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 1st Dec 2018, 3:24 pm   #10
Panrock
Nonode

Yes Jon, and do you remember how it went 'pfft' and broke down in the middle of the Mickey Mouse cartoon?

Rather like the pre-war closedown in fact!

(Later found to be caused by a resistor in the focus chain.)

Steve
Old 1st Dec 2018, 4:06 pm   #11
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
I remember seeing your 702 operating Steve and it certainly looked much brighter than in the TW studio. A lovely set.
Mono TVs don't photograph well - they look dim with a blue cast. That's one of the reasons that movie directors fake the pictures now that it's so easy to do in post production. That wasn't an option for TW of course.
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 9:24 am   #12
Panrock
Nonode

Would this be because the 'spiky' output spectrum of the phosphor that the eye perceives as 'white' is a poor match to the R,G & B curves of the camera tubes?

Steve
Closed Thread