UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2021, 1:05 am   #41
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Yaesu FT290

Got those, by the time you extract the schematic as images and then stitch them together they lose clarity - well, they did when I tried it, I could have been doing something 'not quite right'

Pity there isn't (that I have seen) an 'app' that will work to stitch PDF pages together.
Old 6th Sep 2021, 3:09 pm   #42
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi just been in contact with Yaesu teck dpt (i know them quite well) and it seems there was never a paper manual for this set they have not got one listed in the Archives at head office, so we are limited with what we can find online Mick
Old 6th Sep 2021, 5:02 pm   #43
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

It sounds like this is a circuit crying out to be reverse-engineered and redrawn in Kicad or something similar.

It does happen, I won't bore you with the examples, but people do sit down and redraw the entire circuit especially if the only known ones are quite poor.

The MK2 (FT290R2) does have a proper service manual - or in Yaesu Technical speak - 'Technical Supplement', which is a term always worth searching for if you are looking for a Yaesu service manual.
Old 6th Sep 2021, 6:01 pm   #44
dsergeant
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickm3for View Post
Hi just been in contact with Yaesu teck dpt (i know them quite well) and it seems there was never a paper manual for this set they have not got one listed in the Archives at head office, so we are limited with what we can find online Mick
Really. I have a nice schematic in my FT290R user manual in my hands.... Just tried scanning it, unfortunately it is about twice the length of an A4 sheet and my auto feed scanner stalls when it reaches what would be the expected bottom of an A4 sheet with 'paper jam'. Would have to chop it in two and then stitch the two bits together which I am not prepared to do.

But a very clear schematic on a real piece of paper...

Dave
Old 6th Sep 2021, 6:54 pm   #45
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Would you consider taking clear, well lit overhead photos of each half or quarter and posting them here as attached .zips? (Don't attach them as images, the forum engine will destroy most of the useful detail by resizing them to what it considers an acceptable size).

I don't think folks will mind a diagram in two halves or four quarters with a bit of lens barrel distortion as long as everything on each half or quarter is completely readable.
Old 6th Sep 2021, 7:53 pm   #46
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I, for one, would be happy to contribute to raising whatever it would cost to get;
  1. the manual scanned on some professional kit (not requiring the use of scissors)
  2. nominating dsergeant for position of Saint-hood.

B
Old 6th Sep 2021, 8:27 pm   #47
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi i would contribute to the fund (i have a ft290r working at the moment ) and i like to have a manual for my rigs mick
Old 6th Sep 2021, 9:15 pm   #48
Radio Wrangler

For larger than A4 digitising, I tape the master on a wall, position two soft-box lights, and put my camera on a tripod. I have a reprographic /macro lens that's pretty free of distortion and get whole things in one go with plenty of resolution (Nikon D6) Resolution is close to that of a good scanner.

But this is at the other end of the country. Anyone nearer got suitable gear?

David
Old 6th Sep 2021, 11:43 pm   #49
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I'm surprised that Yaesu don't have one in the archive, but they do exist.

I will probably go down the line of redrawing it in a cad program (and there is a lot of it).

Some of the pdf's online are reasonably good quality wise, but being in 3/4 seperate pages makes tracing signal/power lines across pages somewhat agonising, especially when you lose track of the one you were following.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 8:09 am   #50
dsergeant
Octode

Ended up in chopping it into two...
Quick scan at 150dpi saved as a pdf. Looks quite readable, you will have to play with the stitching together.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ft290.pdf (907.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 7th Sep 2021, 8:20 am   #51
Andrew2
Nonode

Of course the manual exists, I have one here in its glossy A5 glory!
Old 7th Sep 2021, 9:42 am   #52
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Thanks for doing that, Dave. It should be a good starting point for anyone feeling dedicated enough to redraw the diagram.

Andrew2, we are speaking of the service manual - do you mean the owner's manual? And if you do, does that have the circuit diagram in the back pages? A service manual would rarely be so small.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 10:04 am   #53
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Thanks for doing that, Dave. It should be a good starting point for anyone feeling dedicated enough to redraw the diagram.

Andrew2, we are speaking of the service manual - do you mean the owner's manual? And if you do, does that have the circuit diagram in the back pages? A service manual would rarely be so small.
Ah, my mistake. And sadly the previous owner lost the pull-out cct diagram.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 11:16 am   #54
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

A lot of early Yaesu stuff didn't have a service manual, everything was in the owners manual - general use, alignment and circuit diagram.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 12:47 pm   #55
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

OK, attached zip is just one little part I started tonight - it is going to take a while to complete as I have other things to get finished first.

In the zip is an SVG file, extract that and it will (should) open in any browser (I have tested with Firefox and Chrome) and you can zoom to any extent and it stays the same readability.

Zoom is (in Windows - somebody please chime in with Linux and/or Apple/Mac systems) hold Ctrl key and use mouse scroll wheel or hold Ctrl and use + or - key on number pad.

There are other ways like Menu and Zoom functions in the browser.

I will get it all done in SVG first then generate a PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FT290 sch.zip (41.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 13th Sep 2021, 3:57 am   #56
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

An update on the progress of re-drawing the FT290 schematic.

Attached zip is the SVG file and there is a pdf.

I have tried to keep the style close to the original Yaesu offering but have also made some small changes re wire/interconnect positions where the original didn't seem to have rhyme or reason for the way it was done - P05 top left is one example.

If anybody has any thoughts on things that might be done slightly better - "speak now or forever hold your peace" - I am thinking of colouring the various power rails - yes/no??

To give you an idea, the current pdf page size is 300mm x nearly 700mm or about 12" by 25", I expect it to be at least 1 metre wide (39") by the time it's finished.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FT290 sch.zip (803.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: pdf FT290 sch VK5TM.pdf (436.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 16th Sep 2021, 10:34 am   #57
Damien VK3RX
Tetrode

Wow, nice job, Tezza
Old 16th Sep 2021, 11:19 am   #58
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Thankyou.

Have to take breaks from it, I keep going cross-eyed
Old 16th Sep 2021, 4:36 pm   #59
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Nice work! Just about the first thing I do if a print a schematic is colour in the DC supply lines.

B
Old 17th Sep 2021, 12:40 am   #60
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I'll colour the DC lines anyway once I get to the end Bazz, so if you have a colour printer.....

Just need to work out what colours to use - Red for +12v obviously.

There's 13 other different DC lines, although several of those are very short runs to the switches only so possibly don't need to be coloured (although I suppose I could take the covers off and see what is used in the rig).
Closed Thread