UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2020, 12:14 pm   #1
Roadrunner15
Diode

Default Sanyo G-2615N refurb help.

Hello , I have purchased an Sanyo G-2615N and it needs some TLC , I have a few questions which I would appreciate some help with -

How should I clean the unit , unit is generally a bit dirty , what can I use to clean the buttons , record player etc?

Can I get spares for the unit , as I would need needle , speaker cable and power lead?

Can I download a manual somewhere so I can figure out how to use the unit?

Any other advice you feel I should need before I start dismantling to refurb?

I am a bit new to this but keen to learn.

Thanks for your help.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 12:53 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Sanyo G-2615N refurb help.

Welcome! You can use standard speaker thin, twin cables. To get a stylus you first will need to know what type of cartridge is fitted. To get a power lead it's likely you will need a "Figure of 8" type of connector. You can clean it with detergent and a soft/medium toothbrush and also use white spirits on asoft cloth. The fact that you don't know how to use it suggests some inexperience. Given this, and that these have VERY densly packed internal mechanics and electronics, it may be far better if someone can service this for you as it wll likely to need new belts and more. You have picked a complex piece of kit! There are a number of sites that offer a free download PDF (just search with the Sanyo model number) but it may not give you the user instructions, only the schematic and service info.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 4:22 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Is this one of those 'briefcase' models?

If so, the speaker cables should be rolled up in the storage compartments at the inner side of each speaker unit. If they are missing/damaged you'll need to take those speakers apart to replace the cable. it's just normal figure-of-8 twin cable (not too thick or it'll not store properly) with a mono (2 conductor)3.5mm jack plug on the end. The wire connected to the tip of the plug goes to the +ve terninal of the speaker.

The mains lead connector may well be a Sanyo special, in which case good luck finding it! Make sure the lead is not tucked in the storage compartment of one of the speakers, or in the battery compartment of the unit. If all else fails you could replace the mains connector on the unit with a figure-of-8 type or something.

The cartridge may well be a Vaco Luxor. They are still available as are the styli for them but not cheap. With a little modification you can fit one of those cheap Chinese black/red cartridges which work very well here.

These units are not hard to work on, They are very modular, you can remove the amplifier, cassette unit and tuner quite easily, leaving just the turntable/pickup, controls, and power supply parts fixed to the deck. I've found the easiest way to get inside is to remove the battery cover, take out the fixing screws round the edge and then use the battery holder as a handle to lift the deck out of the case. Turn it over and place it skew-wise on top of the case. That will support it without risk of damage to the pickup arm, turntable, etc.

The rotary control knobs (the column down the side and the turntable speed kno) pull off for cleaning.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 12:03 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

Tony did a wonderful restoration on one of these a few years back, so his advice is well worth heeding!
These Sanyos have been discussed on the forums quite a bit, so do some digging and see how you get on from there.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 6:06 am   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Actually mine was a G2605H which is pretty similar I think. There should be some photos of it (in bits) in my flickr account, tony_duell.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 9:44 am   #6
Roadrunner15
Diode

Hi all ,

Upon closer inspection yesterday , I have the speaker cables and 2 microphones ( not sure why 2 ) but as mentioned no power supply. I think the first stage would be to buy some batteries and turn it on and see what works? Does this sound sensible?
I have added a photo.
Also I have tried finding a user manual in PDF format but no luck , is someone able to send me a copy and what is the chance of getting a power lead for this unit are they very rare.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94623AEE-6582-4ABD-9EB8-04132F2E0B07.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	218837  
Old 25th Oct 2020, 10:21 am   #7
af024
Octode

Two mics - one for left and one for right perhaps?
The mains lead, a Sharp special, is indeed very difficult to find. Batteries are a good way to go assuming that the battery terminals aren't corroded.

Regards,

Andy
Old 25th Oct 2020, 10:46 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Microphones will be for use with the Stereo Cassette Deck. If you can find a correct Sanyo mains connector, it will be possible to hard wire a fixed 2 core mains lead into your unit.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 2:11 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Yes, two microphones for stereo recording. One will have a double plug on the end (signal on the 3.5mm part, remote switch on the 2.5mm part) the other just a normal 3.5mm plug. The sockets are next to the headphone socket just in front of the head of the pickup arm, it's obvious how they connect. I think you can use just the one with the double plug to record in mono on both tape tracks.

Some models have a 'microphone mix' button that mixes the microphone signal with whatever you are playing (record, tape, radio) and feeds it to the speakers. So you can make announcements, sing along with a record, whatever.

Some models have a 2 pin mains plug, others a 3 pin. This seems to have changed during production, so your machine may not agree with the service manual. In the former case you can kludge in a figure-of-8 connector. In the latter you may be able to fit a normal 'kettle plug' connector with a bit of filing.
Closed Thread