UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 20th Apr 2019, 7:57 pm   #181
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: BBC TV: The Repair Shop

I've always been more keen on the content than the presentation of this program in the past David but it has struck a chord perhaps with the older "make do and mend" generations and the newer "retros". I think most people have a hope but certainly not an expectation that they can get a bit of their life back and it's often genuinely affecting. As a Capricorn, I'm the first to deride the mis-use of US style emotion. It's available in "buckets" on the programs you don't watch where it is nearly always signalled well in advance and almost built in to the structure!

I was a very positive about Albert's story [in p119*] though, because I thought the overall technical and personal side was very much in balance. His daughter was very supportive and everyone involved seemed affected. It really didn't feel at all exploitative or inappropriate [p131] and I suspect that being able to express how he felt more publicly was a positive experience overall, in addition to getting the set back in working order! Not doing "too good a job" on the case was really quite thoughtful. Of course the amount of upset shown was down to the editing [as I said at p128] not the crew. I'm sure they could have put much more in ....but they didn't!

We will have the Dunkirk story on Monday as a comparator to judge by perhaps!

Dave

As a further comment on the Repair Shop ethos, there is a quite well known book "Hovel In The Hills" about a young couple who pioneer getting out of the rat race at the very beginning of the sixties and occupy a damp cottage in Wales [recommended - the book that is]. The have to repair everything in sight as there is not much cash left. Later, they are forced to earn a little money as house keeper and handyman for various members of the, now declining, Aristocracy and their homes. The husband finds a very nice damaged chest in an obscure attic and carefully repairs the Marquetry before putting it back again. Just because he can!

Last edited by dave walsh; 20th Apr 2019 at 8:26 pm.
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2019, 8:54 pm   #182
David Simpson
Octode

Aye Phil, I actually didn't know of the family connection. In Scotland, the term "Wifey" just means an older/more mature "Lassie".
Right enough Dave, the story behind "Hovel in the Hills" should inspire a number of folk to get off their backsides & follow that couple's example. Another inspiring current program is "Grand Designs - The Street". Kevin McCloud - another decent knowledgeable presenter.
Back to the Repair Shop - it could be a better program if there was less drippy/drooly sentimentalisation - which diverts attention away from some lovely items such as that caseless clock in episode 1. Another program in the same vein as Repair Shop is - "Salvage Hunters - The Restorers". No drippy/drooly experts down there in North Wales & nearby Merseyside. Just keen interesting informative folk.

Regards, David
David Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2019, 9:19 pm   #183
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Fiona Bruce?Now I am off topic by saying,she was "rear of the year"!

Back indeed to the repair shop ,really looking forward to Mondays episode and to see the 1930,s radio,if indeed it is correct.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 9:34 pm   #184
Oldcodger
Octode

Might be a tad O/T, but this sort of thing has been going on for years. I'll bet the ladies in houses where hubbies work on /in recycling centres are only too happy to see a clamp down on stuff going out. But it only stops so much. My light box- I could not find lamp fittings or starter sockets anywhere at sensible prices. Quick word in an ear and I had the remains of at least three fittings, with wiring. We save old electronics- these blokes are more than that .
Oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2019, 10:05 pm   #185
flyingtech55
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Interesting misconception on today's (repeated?) programme- a handmade model of a P47 Thunderbolt brought in by a customer, and thought by him to be a Spitfire. I'm sure he knows by now what it really represents, but it's a perfect example of 'don't take the customer's word for it, do a bit of research' An intriguing story (i only came in half way through) but his relative appears to have flown Spits but made a model of a P47!)

Radial engine, a 3 cannon wing and dumpy fuselage, but i can understand why the layman is fooled by the RAF markings, camo paint job and elliptical wing.

PS

Actually- now that i think of it-- the P47 had a 4 gun wing, and the guns were big fifties, not 20mm cannon. If memory serves they were staggered thus the fourth one didn't protrude from the wing. (Even geeks get it wrong sometimes...)

Dave

Hi Dave

You're correct...the P-47 had eight .50-cal machine guns, four per side (semi-span)). They were in fact staggered so that the breech blocks would clear each other. This made for a rather 'tight' installation which caused a number of operational difficulties. The engine was indeed a radial...in fact a P&W R-2800 rated at 2000hp in this application. The turbo-supercharger was mounted in the rear fuselage and fed by ducting beneath the cockpit which led to the 'dumpy' appearance of the airframe. Unfortunately, the initiated seem to refer to almost all single seat WW2 aircraft as Spitfires. This seems to include Hurricanes, P-51 Mustangs and even a Bolton-Paul Defiant...and now the P-47 Thunderbolt.

Hope this information/clarification is permitted within the rules of the forum.

Best regards

TimR
Old 21st Apr 2019, 9:40 am   #186
Malcolm G6ANZ
Heptode

Ive watched Salvage Hunter restorers a few times and although the wood worker is good, the metal/electrical guy is a bodger.
Comparing the quality go work as seen Repair shop comes out top each time.
Malcolm G6ANZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2019, 10:57 am   #187
David Simpson
Octode

The thing is, Malcolm, every time Drew Pritchard buys something he always tells us the expected repair costs. Sometimes hundreds of ££'s. Then again on his Restorers programs, he and the chosen experts openly discuss costs. Again, many hundreds of ££'s are often involved. Also, I note recently, that on "Wheeler Dealers", they're now including the amount of manhours at the end of the program. (God, please don't get me going on that mouthy git Mike Brewer !)
Regarding Drew's electrician - he always replaces mains cabling, fits modern 3pin plugs, & he always ensures correct earthing. In all the years I've watched the program, I've never seen him trip the building's circuit breaker - unlike the Repair Shop's radio duffer a year or two back. Drew's metalwork guy - Gavin, is a different fellow to the electrician guy(I forget his name ?). Most of the time Drew tells Gavin to quickly tart up old lamp posts, industrial cupboards, etc. As he'll be shifting them on pdq. Whereas the electrician guy carefully takes his time.
Incidentally, a local friend & near neighbour has met Drew Pritchard, and have bought a couple of proper antiques off him. They were jolly pleased with the price & condition of the items. Seemingly Drew-wise, what you see is what you get. Not a drip or drool from him or any of his staff.

Regards, David
Old 21st Apr 2019, 11:15 am   #188
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
In all the years I've watched the program, I've never seen him trip the building's circuit breaker
Editing.

Quote:
- unlike the Repair Shop's radio duffer a year or two back.
Drama.

Lawrence.
ms660 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2019, 11:31 am   #189
M0FYA Andy
Octode

I suggest that the episode where the item under repair apparently plunged the entire building into darkness whilst the camera happened to be running was a rather childish fabrication.
Nobody would wire a repair workshop such that a short-circuit on one bench would trip the entire building's supply including the lighting.

Having apparently caused this dramatic failure, the repairer/duffer then struggled against all the odds to isolate the problem, but strangely the reason wasn't then explained! Total tosh which really put me off the programme.

Andy
M0FYA Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2019, 1:26 pm   #190
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
I suggest that the episode where the item under repair apparently plunged the entire building into darkness whilst the camera happened to be running was a rather childish fabrication...Total tosh which really put me off the programme.
Pity to let one small part of one episode spoil the entire series for you. As has been said, by many others, there’s been a lot of good stuff which you will have missed.

“The place where optimism most flourishes is the lunatic asylum” - Havelock Ellis
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2019, 1:39 pm   #191
David Simpson
Octode

I suspect, Andy, that all the oversize hobbit buildings on the site have their own RCD controlled Consumer Unit. Thus will trip off everything when a duffer does something silly with mains equipment, or even problems with lighting. Extra caution with thatched rooves & timber construction.
On the other hand, many modern domestic CU's have split MCB circuitry buss bars, where only ring mains, cooker, imm'n heater, shower, etc. are rcd protected. Lighting circuitry is often un-rcd'd so that residents can still see what the heck is going on in an emergency. Or you can just have the lights next to your fuse cupboard, passageways & halls, and exits left un-rcd'd.
(RCD = Residual Current Device, sometimes called "Earth Fault Trip").

Regards, David
Old 21st Apr 2019, 1:42 pm   #192
M0FYA Andy
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Pity to let one small part of one episode spoil the entire series for you. As has been said, by many others, there’s been a lot of good stuff which you will have missed.
This latest series has been much better, I haven't missed any of it even though I have grumbled at times!
Old 21st Apr 2019, 1:45 pm   #193
M0FYA Andy
Octode

Quote:
I suspect, Andy, that all the oversize hobbit buildings on the site have their own RCD controlled Consumer Unit. Thus will trip off everything when a duffer does something silly with mains equipment, or even problems with lighting. Extra caution with thatched rooves & timber construction.
On the other hand, many modern domestic CU's have split MCB circuitry buss bars, where only ring mains, cooker, imm'n heater, shower, etc. are rcd protected. Lighting circuitry is often un-rcd'd so that residents can still see what the heck is going on in an emergency. Or you can just have the lights next to your fuse cupboard, passageways & halls, and exits left un-rcd'd.
(RCD = Residual Current Device, sometimes called "Earth Fault Trip").

Regards, David
I still suspect it was a fabrication! Funny that the BBC's equipment kept running...……….

Andy
Old 21st Apr 2019, 2:07 pm   #194
ms660
Dekatron

If I was spending a pile of money on productions I would invest in some UPS stuff.

Lawrence.
ms660 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2019, 2:13 pm   #195
Malcolm G6ANZ
Heptode

I think that the difference between Drew and Repair Shop is that Drew is doing it to make money and Repair shop is for entertainment. So Repair shop can spend a long time and lots of money in bringing an item back to life where as Drew has to turn a profit.
Malcolm G6ANZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2019, 2:36 pm   #196
turretslug
Nonode

My take on the power tripping incident episode is that, yes, it would indeed have been contrived and scripted- but with good intention. At some point, there would have been production discussion along the lines, "well, we're dealing with real, live mains and a likely iffy old radio- there's a duty of care to to the viewing pulic to introduce some sort of safety flag without being preachy or kill-joy, we need to strike a balance bearing in mind that some people will think that we're being over-the-top and others not cautious enough." A planned and scripted "power trip" could have been a "now careful folk, this is serious" sort of hint. More than ever nowadays, everyone is paranoid of legal consequences and rebound around what appears on telly.
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2019, 3:13 pm   #197
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G6ANZ View Post
I think that the difference between Drew and Repair Shop is that Drew is doing it to make money and Repair shop is for entertainment. So Repair shop can spend a long time and lots of money in bringing an item back to life where as Drew has to turn a profit.
Exactly, most of the revocations on TRS would not be commercially viable, the pouffe as an example was a huge amount of skilled leather work which must have took many hours by the Master Saddler it’s not about increasing the value but about restoring memories (feeling a little sick emoji). I assume the experts are getting paid the going rate and the BBC are paying, or rather we are, nothing is perfect but there are worse things they could and do spend my money on.

John
Old 21st Apr 2019, 6:18 pm   #198
David Simpson
Octode

Me thinks that the Duffer/power trip episode was unscripted. Maybe, just maybe, a fluorescent light was suspect, or another expert was powering up some equipment at the time. Thus, without a proper electrician on site, and the trip quickly re-set, they just let it pass. If they wanted to get a safety message over, they could've asked the duffer to tell us to always at least use a portable plug-in RCD, & check mains polarity & chassis earthing, and say oops - sorry.
We all banged on at the time about these programs being produced these days by private companies, and definitely don't use highly qualified filming site technicians/engineers which at one time the BBC was world renowned for. Old mannie Reith must be turning in his grave.
Yep, the film crew's equipment kept running. As I said a while back, I once work alongside proper BBC engineering /filming folk for a "Songs of Praise" program up here . Their huge mobile filming/lighting truck required an independant very thirsty 3Phase supply from Scottish Hydro-Electric. Far more juice was required than what a big thatched hobbit house(with a paltry 1 Phase supply) needed.

Regards, David
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 2:22 pm   #199
AC/HL

A bit late to apply now, but this makes it clear that it's a third party produced show, and the back stories are a major part of it. There are contact details, but I doubt they'd be willing to answer the sort of queries raised on here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/t...he_repair_shop
As was said earlier, the BBC were obliged to outsource a good deal of their content. Lord Reith wouldn't be too upset, didn't he refer to TV people as the fools on the hill?
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 2:27 pm   #200
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Lord Reith wouldn't be too upset, didn't he refer to TV people as the fools on the hill?
He did indeed! He reportedly hated the whole idea of television.