UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2006, 9:08 pm   #1
TimS
Pentode

Default Orion AR612; class X/Y capacitors.

This Orion, part-way restored, is an AC set so I would normally add an earth to the chassis. However the chassis is connected via two caps to the live and neutral AC input - I presume this is to minimise interference and put the chassis 'in between' the AC input voltages.

Would I be best taking out the caps and earthing the chassis or leaving things as they are (probably replacing the caps with new ones - class X presumably)?

-- Tim.
Old 24th Nov 2006, 9:20 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Orion AR 612

Hi Tim, these caps should be class Y and the chassis can be connected to earth ONLY IF THEY ARE CLASS Y CAPS.
Class X caps are only for connecting across the mains. If they fails they normally self heal, but can let a lot of energy through in the process.
Class Y caps cannot fail except open circuit so present no danger when connected to earthed metalwork.

Ed
Old 26th Nov 2006, 6:56 pm   #3
TimS
Pentode

Can I just get rid of these caps altogether and earth the chassis so it would be like the other AC sets I have?

Tim.
Old 26th Nov 2006, 7:07 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I'm not familiar with this set but if HT and LT are both via a double wound transformer then you can earth the chassis. This is allowed whether or not you have the Class Y caps from mains to chassis.

Beware of designs that do more subtle things like using an autotransformer or a tranny for LT and recitifed mains for HT.
Old 27th Nov 2006, 4:08 pm   #5
TimS
Pentode

Does 'double wound' just mean that HT and LT have separate windings?

Tim.
Old 27th Nov 2006, 4:21 pm   #6
Chris_C
Hexode

No! It means that the mains input winding is separate and insulated from the HT and LT secondary windings.
The only electrical path is through the transformer effect.

From the circuit diag. The Orion AR 612 does have a double wound mains transformer.

Last edited by Chris_C; 27th Nov 2006 at 4:23 pm. Reason: added info
Closed Thread