UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2006, 11:50 am   #1
AnthonyK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Telefunken Gavotte 7 - Service help

Hello

I chanced upon this forum when trying to find someone to service my mum's old Telefunken Gavotte 7.

After about 15-20 years of no use I switched it on at the weekend and it hummed into life and after warming up started to sound really good, with a great midrange.

It is pretty filthy in the back, the bass and treble dials crackle terribly, and I don't know if the buttons work, but I grew up with it on and would love to restore the innards to their former glory .

Apologies if this question is in the wrong place, but can anyone recommend someone decent to give it a service in the London area, preferably north london or north of london.

Also, what should I expect the cost to be of a service?

thanks in advance

anthony
Old 22nd Nov 2006, 2:09 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Telefunken Gavotte 7 - Service help

If you are willing to travel to South London then Gerry Wells, owner of the marvellous Vintage Wireless Museum in Dulwich, will do whatever is necessary. The visit to the museum is an experience in itself.

http://bvwm.org.uk/

I can also recommend John Thomson in Enfield. Send me a Personal Message and I'll give you his contact details. John is not a forum member but I know he is well able to do this sort of work and is a decent sort of fellow. I don't know if Michael Maurice (who is a forum member, based in Wembley and another good guy) services this sort of equipment but he might be willing.
Old 25th Nov 2006, 1:55 am   #3
AnthonyK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Telefunken Gavotte 7 - Service help

thanks both of you .
I must get down to that museum, it looks amazing .
I've also tracked down Seth Pittham at Vintage Amp Doctor, so hopefully between him and Gerry I should be able to get it looked at.
thanks again
regards
anthony
Closed Thread