UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2014, 8:40 pm   #81
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Default Re: VCR97 Project

Thanks for that Ed, recently unearthed my project and all relative notes. I wont bore others with details of what I have found but have many of the hard to find parts like 15 of those VR65 (SP61) valves and their Mazda Octal bases. I also have a CV2810 cathode ray tube.

I have also downloaded all updates on the excellent Argus replica and compared them with the diagrams in FJ Camms book Practical Television circuits which was apparently printed in 1954 so should contain corrected diagrams.
Old 30th Oct 2014, 9:50 pm   #82
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Tony, lets see what you can do by the end of a Norwegian winter!
These sets would probably work equally well with EF80 valves or similar RF pentodes; the bases would be easier to source.
For anyone else contemplating building this set I may have some suitable tubes.

Ed
Old 30th Oct 2014, 10:15 pm   #83
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Mazda Octal bases aren't a problem to get, Langrex have them in stock.
Andy
Old 30th Oct 2014, 10:22 pm   #84
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

I bought ten new Mazda octal sockets and nine top caps from J Birkett a while back, they have or rather had a lot of the "good old stuff" that we hoarders like.

Tony
Old 30th Oct 2014, 10:36 pm   #85
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
These sets would probably work equally well with EF80 valves or similar RF pentodes; the bases would be easier to source.
I have also wondered if 6AC7 valves would work well as they have quite a high slope too.

The chassis for the Argus shouldn't present any undue challenges if I can gain the use of the folding break at a local body repair shop, the owner does sort of owe me a favour

I have a chassis from a Sun 99 motor tester that has a pretty interesting transformer on it that should yield both EHT and HT windings. I will use separate transformers for the heaters in the timebase etc and certainly a boost transformer type of transformer for the CRT 4 Volt. The CRT heater winding is the first winding on the transformer and often gives short to the laminations I have been told. I have the Sun 99 chassis more or less complete and the circuit diagram so a good EHT / HT chassis with good insulation etc etc will be top priority. I know that the Sun 99 did work before it was dumped.

Since the CV2810 is a rare CRT these days I have considered using a 5ADP1 to test the time bases and EHT on.

Tony
Old 9th Feb 2015, 10:27 pm   #86
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Ed

I noticed that you suggested EF80 valves in this project, I found that 6BW7 are pin compatible to EF80 and are slightly better specification than EF80. They are closer to SP61 than EF80 is.

What do you think of using these?

Thanks in advance.

Tony
Old 10th Feb 2015, 10:33 am   #87
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Tony, they should work pretty well in the majority of these circuits.

Ed
Old 4th Aug 2015, 9:43 pm   #88
blott203
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Everyone,
I have two VCR97 CRTs, one with mu-metal shield and base, stamped A.M.

Would these be of any interest to anyone?

Radio & electronics was my hobby many years ago, but having worked in the business for many years, I sort of lost interest in it as a hobby.

Would like to see them go to a good home.

I live in Aylsham, Norfolk, 12 miles north of Norwich.

Cheers, Mike
Old 5th Aug 2015, 10:45 pm   #89
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

I hope that someone takes you up on that offer, I am too far away to collect or arrange collection. Besides I wonder what the airline security would say if I was to take them on board as cabin baggage
Closed Thread