UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2019, 8:35 pm   #21
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: (Another) MW/LW interference problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
I just hope none of my neighbours use MW!
Well... They won't now!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 13th Aug 2019, 8:23 pm   #22
colourking
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. Watterson View Post
it took a YEAR. Faulty SMPSU in next door's HDTV.

What wavebands was it interfering with ?
Old 13th Aug 2019, 9:00 pm   #23
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Post No.17-

Thanks. The real surprise was the effective range of the interference- the test bench is 55' away from the stairlift, with 3 studwork walls and sundry other gubbins between the two.
I just hope none of my neighbours use MW!

Dave
Probably causes as much interference as a spark transmitter.....
Old 19th Oct 2019, 11:14 pm   #24
The Philpott
Dekatron

..Update.. Just had to move the (Bison Bede, not Stannah) stairlift to admit a new sofa into the house, plugged the SMPS back in for a few hours but the (twin) 12v Nicad packs show no voltage whatsoever.
Tested the output of the 33v power supply with a 24w 24v lorry lamp; this resulted in a very small spark at the base of the bulb, and the faintest cheam of light from the lamp, which rapidly fades. Unfortunately it appears to me that the power supply is 'gubbed' (as bigclive would say) and has probably killed the NiCads by neglect.

There is inevitably a big fat capacitor in the power supply (visually ok but possibly dried out) which i will discharge, remove and test. What IS gratifying is the amount of SMPS trouble-shooting info on the 'web.

Just to add complication there is a control board between the 33V DC line and the battery leads. Text on one of the components infers that software is present. (Oh good..)
No indication whatsoever that the 'lift was not parked properly on it's charging point.

I will update as it seems this sort of failure (and resultant RF interference) is a common problem.

Dave
Old 20th Oct 2019, 11:17 am   #25
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Check the voltage on your NiCd packs before trying to charge them. Many modern chargers deliberately won't produce a significant output-current/voltage unless they detect a battery with a certain-degree of charge (a certain minimum voltage); this is a safety precaution to protect against failing battery-packs.

[I've got an old NiCd-powered portable drill here whose battery-packs are all-but-dead: the charger refuses to recognise them unless I hook an 18V supply to the battery for a few minutes before putting it on the charger - this puts just enough charge into the battery for it to be recognised by the charger - which then goes through a proper charge-cycle to the point where I can actually use the drill for a bit.]
Old 20th Oct 2019, 11:22 am   #26
The Philpott
Dekatron

Thanks, yes, they will certainly need to be gently zapped by a 'dumb' charger in the first instance as they are showing zero volts. In truth they are probably ruined, but we'll see.

Dave
Closed Thread