UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2021, 9:53 pm   #1
andyw25
Pentode

Default Philips VR2020 V2000

Hi all, recently got another one of these aswell to add to the growing collection

Initially upon power on there was no clock or display of any kind and the machine constantly tried to lace.

I've since reflowed the regulators on the power supply, replaced the rifa cap under the power cord connector which was already blown. Removed all the boards and cleaned up and refitted, one board wasn't even pushed in which wouldn't have helped.

I've also removed the back-up battery and after reading suggestions from an older thread I have replaced it with a capacitor?

Now when plugged in the clock and display appears however the machine still tries to lace up even with no tape in and the head spins emitting a high pitched squeal the longer I leave it powered on.

I'm trying to locate the Service Manual but in the meantime does anyone have any experience of a similar fault/faults with this particular model?

Best Wishes, Andy
Old 16th May 2021, 5:40 pm   #2
andyw25
Pentode

Default Re: Philips VR2020 V2000

So, as soon as it's turned on it immediately tries to lace up, the reel motors spin but the brakes are still on which is causing the noise

Anyone any experience of this on a Philips Video 2000 ?

Kind Regards, Andy
Old 17th May 2021, 10:40 pm   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I have a couple of these that I've been trying to fix for months. They do behave strangely and squeal loudly if they are operated on lowered voltage, in my case from using a lamp limiter. Might be worth looking at the power supply, unless you're using a lamp limiter or variac of course!

David
Old 18th May 2021, 7:21 am   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Not all equipment will thank you for being run from a reduced mains voltage.
Old 18th May 2021, 5:31 pm   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

The secundary supply is switched mode. It can handle somewhat reduced voltage but a lamp limiter won't work.
Closed Thread