UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2011, 7:15 pm   #41
RegVP8QE
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: New book (blatant plug)

Mine arrived today. Something for everyone in there!
Many thanks
Reg
Old 6th Dec 2011, 12:17 am   #42
Wage Slave
Hexode

Mine has left Scotland where it was transhipped. The tree went up last weekend and is waiting to receive it. Another week to 10 days and it will be here. Looking forward to Christmas Day.
Old 6th Dec 2011, 12:50 am   #43
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Mine has arrived at Mums, pressy for me .. I forgot to tell her
Old 6th Dec 2011, 12:52 am   #44
ajs37
Heptode

Mine has arrived, looks good Tony!
Thanks
Andy
Old 7th Dec 2011, 11:11 am   #45
ukcol
Rest in Peace

My copy arrived this morning. First impressions, excellent; this will be my Christmas read.

Thanks for the quick service Tony.

Colin M
Old 7th Dec 2011, 3:10 pm   #46
Robert Darwent
Heptode

I've now had a chance to go through Tony's new book quite thoroughly and thought it would be helpful for others thinking of buying a copy to hear an unbiased review of sorts.

The book is approximately 10 x 8 x 5/8 of inch in size comprising some 174 pages. It is a soft back volume with quite thick paper which should take some abuse, overall it feels just the right size to be comfortable in the hand.

Apart from the cover all photographs and illustrations are in black and white, but this is no detriment whatsoever. Everything is clearly laid out and obviously a great deal of thought from Tony has gone into this aspect. I believe he has got the balance just about spot-on.

There are 14 chapters in total ranging from basic electronic theory up to advanced restoration techniques. In addition there is an appendix of capacitor/resistor charts, valve bases and other useful information. All very handy! Finally a comprehensive glossary of terms used throughout the book and a subject index.

Each chapter builds on the last taking you through a complete course on how to choose, fault-find, test and restore a vintage valve radio. None of the text is over complicated by difficult mathematics or technical jargon and is a very enjoyable read.

For me personally I found chapters 11 to 14 most interesting, these are the chapters that deal with restoration techniques in detail, with Tony's vast experience in this area most apparent. He manages to convey to the reader in an easy to follow text exactly how to tackle any restoration job you may encounter on a vintage radio, from stripping and respraying a chassis, to restuffing capacitors and producing authentic labels for them. Plus a great deal more!

So whether you're a complete beginner or have a great deal of experience already there is something to interest everyone in this book. If you're considering buying one and still not sure I would advise you to go ahead and get one. You won't regret it!

This is a review based entirely on my own opinions and thoughts, I have received no prompting from Tony in writing it. It is written as a helpful guide to others and to show in some small way my genuine appreciation and admiration of Tony's excellent work.

Kind regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 11th Dec 2011, 12:30 am   #47
Alvin
Heptode

For me the book fell almost at the first hurdle - during an initial flick through the pages to see what was in it my eyes fell on the section advising to build a lamp limiter so I stopped to read that bit which says,

"The device works like this: The power is applied to the set under test in series with a 'proper' 60W lamp. Once satisfied that no danger of burn-out or catastrophic failure is likely, the switch is thrown to short out the lamp and apply power directly. It's that simple - and that useful. I never test without it."

No mention is made of the theory or what to expect to see under normal running or fault conditions.....the novice is just as likely to think a brightly lit lamp means all is OK!!

Alvin
Old 11th Dec 2011, 2:44 am   #48
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
...No mention is made of the theory or what to expect to see under normal running or fault conditions....
Page 100 deals with the use of the lamp limiter under 'Testing Under Power' and what to expect from the glow of the 60W bulb under normal conditions.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 13th Dec 2011, 1:35 pm   #49
Aerodyne
Octode

My thanks to all who have bought their copies to date. I am now holding a new reprint batch - this is in readiness for the 'public' launch of the book in January 2012. Any forum member still wanting a book with the free postage in UK offer, please feel free to contact me. There is (just) still time for orders to be completed before Christmas.
Sincere regards
-Tony
Old 14th Dec 2011, 7:27 pm   #50
joe
Rest in Peace

Hi, Tony

Got back from the hospital just in time to find your book on the mat, so far I only managed to glance at it for a couple of minutes but it appears to be of the standard that we have come to expect of you. Well done!

I'm looking forward to our Xmas guests going home and then I can sit by the fire and have a good read.

Thanks very much.

Joe
Old 15th Dec 2011, 12:33 pm   #51
Graham-R
Pentode

Book arrived today - many thanks

GR
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 2:48 pm   #52
telstar
Octode

Hi Tony. I have ordered one from you before bank holiday. Looking forward to receiving a copy soon.
Cheers
Mike
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 8:40 pm   #53
Aerodyne
Octode

Mike,
If you posted between Christmas and New Year we might not yet have received your order. If you posted before Christmas your order must have gone astray. If you paid by paypal we have no record of it.
If in doubt, PM me.
-Tony
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 4:31 pm   #54
telstar
Octode

Hi Tony. I posted the order and cheque on 31/12/2011.
Cheers
Mike
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 6:35 pm   #55
Aerodyne
Octode

OK Mike. It hasn't arrived yet but as there's been no post over the holiday, that isn't surprising. Should be here in a day or so.
-Tony
Old 4th Jan 2012, 1:40 am   #56
JulioPenna
Retired Dormant Member

Great job... Congratulations!!!
Old 14th Feb 2012, 2:53 pm   #57
Restorer79
Retired Dormant Member

Congratulations Tony, another excellent book. If you decide to write one on Vintage record players, please put me down for a copy.

Andy
Old 14th Feb 2012, 6:34 pm   #58
Aerodyne
Octode

Vintage record players... I've been asked about that a few times already but presently it would be a slim volume. I have restored a few over the years and I'll think about it!
Pleased you like the book.
-Tony
Old 1st Mar 2012, 12:28 am   #59
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hi Tony, Could you please give me a total price including postage to Eire. Thanks ,Dick.
Old 5th Mar 2012, 4:02 pm   #60
Aerodyne
Octode

Dick, I posted a PM to you but it seems that so far you've missed it.

Cheers
Tony
Closed Thread