UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2008, 12:51 am   #1
capn_banks
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Air Cadet Radio

Hi there,
Im from an Air Cadet squadron in Wimbledon.
We've got this radio and we dont know what it is although it has a sticker on top saying HF. It looks ex mil.
Its digital and turns on and I can scan channels and occasionally here some funny foreign music although not clearly. There is a wire going out the back to the roof but apparently the aerial was taken away years ago. We have no headsets or any other ancils.
Can anyone tell me what it is and where I can buy the relevent parts to get it going?
Thanks
Oli
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00153.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	18210   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00154.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	18211  
Old 1st Jul 2008, 1:42 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Air Cadet Radio

Hi Oli,

It looks like a High Frequency scanning transceiver. These were/are used by the military mainly for Ground-to-Air communication purposes. It's appearance is instantly recognisable as a Racal product, as borne out by the label on the front.

Somewhere on it should be a model number, likely preceded by the letters HF.

Beyond that, these aren't really my 'thing' but I do remember similar pieces of equipment in use by the Royal Navy. My memory of them is now rather faded but they seemed to be more comprehensive and beefier than yours. Many of them had twin keypads, for example. This leads me to wonder if yours was intended for training purposes - if indeed it is a military example.

As I've said, they're not really my thing but we have other members who'll be able to help you far more accurately than I can.
Old 1st Jul 2008, 3:44 pm   #3
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Looks like Racal equipment - Possibly part of Triffid?

If you are part of the air cadets, then might I suggest contacting JACIG at RAF Henlow - there are one or two comms experts there that might well know the set.

As for getting spares and ancilliaries - good luck, I doubt they are readily available on the common market.......

Cheers
Sean
Old 1st Jul 2008, 5:50 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

Odd thing is it appears to be a general purpose transceiver with LSB USB AM and FSK. What's the frequency coverage? Looks quite useful unlike most modern military kit.

You have it switched to USB and if you want to listen to commercial stations you need to use AM.
Old 1st Jul 2008, 7:03 pm   #5
Stockden
Heptode

Well, it's clearly a reasonably modern HF transceiver, which appears to have RACAL stickers on it.

It is not anything to do with Clansman, Larkspur, Bowman or Ptarmigan and neither is it anything to do with Triffid, which is a multi-channel, point to point radio relay equipment.
Interestingly the audio connectors are US style not UK, suggesting that it was produced for a "foreign" market but somehow found its way into ATC service.

Somewhere there should be an ID plate with something like PRMxxxx, VRMxxxx, PRCxxxx, VRCxxxx or, given the US connectors RT-xxxx (where xxxx is a number). If you can find something like that it will help greatly in getting information for you.

Regards,
Hugh
Old 1st Jul 2008, 7:20 pm   #6
GMB
Dekatron

I've seen some similar Racal sets which were general purpose transceivers covering the whole of 2-30Mhz. Maybe 1980's technology.
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 2:50 pm   #7
capn_banks
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks guys in identifying that it's a RACAL.
Il have a look tonight for some model markings. Im probably gunna have to ask the wing radio officer for ancils.
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 8:20 pm   #8
Stockden
Heptode

Well, my suggestion that it's from the RACAL stable is based on what appears to be a silver label with that name on it stuck to the RHS of the lower front panel surround. The picture's a bit fuzzy (or it could be my eyes!) so I might be wrong.

I spent some time today looking at pictures of HF equipment from RACAL and Thales (who took RACAL over) but couldn't find anything to match.

Hugh
Old 4th Jul 2008, 11:51 am   #9
capn_banks
Retired Dormant Member

Ok so Ive had a closer look at the sticker
it says

RACAL
Type No. VRM 4554 MP
Serial No. 41094

and somewhere else it says 24-28V DC Negative Ground.

I tried googling the model but barely got anything.
Old 4th Jul 2008, 12:56 pm   #10
Station X

I note that the set has both RX and TX printed below the display. Hence it could be a transceiver, but I think it'd more likely a dual watch receiver for monitoring duplex transmissions. What appears in the display when you tune the receiver?

I'd have thought that even with a short outdoor aerial you'd pick up loads of stations.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Jul 2008, 1:00 pm   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

Sounds like it was intended for vehicle or trailer mounted use, then. 24V electrics were (are?) common on military comms vehicles and large trucks too FWIW. Otherwise I can't tell you anything in spite of working for RACAL Comms from 1974 - 1981, other than it wasn't made at Western Road in Bracknell before or during that period!

Chris
Old 4th Jul 2008, 1:07 pm   #12
Sean Williams
Dekatron

So, it is a Racal VRM 4554 - good luck finding ant data on it in the public domain - it takes years for this info to surface!

I would really get in touch with the RAF comms dept, and grovel......
Old 7th Jul 2008, 1:48 pm   #13
capn_banks
Retired Dormant Member

ok cheers guys ill try the RAF route then
maybe it was some kind of prototype or something that didnt really take off so they just thought theyd get rid of it by giving it to us
Ive managed to find a headset on 1 US website that looks like it might fit
dont know about aerials though but it does seem to have a normal aerial connector like a TV (pin in the middle)

Station X I have no idea how to tune it and cant quite remember what it does on a scan
Closed Thread