UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2015, 8:37 pm   #1
ColinB
Heptode

Default Mechanical: M6 threaded hole, held in by a nut...

Hi,

I'm trying to create some M6 threaded holes (for machine screws), in a panel surface on a project I'm working on.

I'd like to obtain an item that I can bolt through the panel, and secure in place by an (obviously larger) nut, from the back. This item would have the M6 thread through it's middle, and be put through the panel like a normal bolt.

Is such a thing available, and does anyone know what name it's called(!)

Thanks,

Colin
Old 1st Oct 2015, 8:49 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Mechanical: M6 threaded hole, held in by a nut...

You can get things called "Rivnuts" - I use them quite a lot, you do need a proper tool to fit them, but once you have tried them you wont look back!

Another alternative is a "clinch" nut, these have to have a very accurately dimensioned hole drilled, and a threaded bush then fits from behind - the tightening action then pulls the bush into the panel and squashes into place - this solution is not quite as durable as the Rivnut.

HTH
Sean
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 10:44 am   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Mechanical: M6 threaded hole, held in by a nut...

A hank-bush springs to mind: are these still available?

Al.
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 1:22 pm   #4
camallison
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Yes, this is where I get mine from. The insert tool is also available, quite cheaply:

http://www.rivetwise.co.uk/rivets/sh...gon-pattern-46

Colin

PS - they're also available on eBay.
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 1:46 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

As well as rivnuts etc, can you punch a square hole in the panel and then snap in a 'cage nut' from behind??

[They're the standard things used for fitting gear into racks in data-centres]
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 5:15 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I suppose there's nothing to stop you drilling and tapping a larger bolt with a smaller internal thread.
Or for quick-and-dirty work, just epoxy a standard nut to the back of the panel!
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 7:11 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

This will depend what the panel is made of; but, could you weld a couple of bars of thicker metal behind it, that then could be drilled and tapped?

Otherwise, you would need crimp-fitted threaded bushes. These would normally be fitted using a press and jig in a factory, but you should be able to do it at home by hammering.
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 9:34 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

rivnut/clinchnut/hank bush is the way to go I think, which one depends on you budget.

I've used rivnuts to replace torn-out welded nuts and the results are fantastic. Either system is a great addition to the toolbox and they can be bought in assorted kits with a range of tool mandrels.
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 12:48 am   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

I have an RS Clinchnut kit, and have used it as per your description, although they seem to have been discontinued now. You have to drill a hole in the panel, and the "nut" is crimped in the same way as a pop rivet. It further tightens in use.
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 12:46 pm   #10
Nymrod121
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Didn't Tina Turner issue a tutorial on the tolerances needed to fit these - ("hank-bush fitting limits") ?
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 8:08 pm   #11
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Bill, The inserts are still available - we use them all the time at work!
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 8:58 pm   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

Must fight urge to make any more Tina Turner song puns ..... We don't need another thread closed .....
Old 4th Oct 2015, 1:06 am   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
This will depend what the panel is made of; but, could you weld a couple of bars of thicker metal behind it, that then could be drilled and tapped
No need to weld- they could be held in place by light gauge countersunk screws if a flush front face is needed.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Oct 2015, 10:00 am   #14
turretslug
Dekatron

Would something along these lines fit the bill for the situation (usual disclaimer);

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20X-M6-Spr...item2a33f60463

Two other types of fitting that I've frequently seen on de-mountable equipment but wish I knew the trade/colloquial terms for are short oval plates (think like a TO3 sort of profile) with thickened tapped centre and two smaller flanking holes for fastening by rivets or machine screws, and a pressed steel fitting that closely accomodates and holds in place a hex nut of the appropriate size and again fastens in place by smaller flanking holes.

Good luck in the quest.
Old 20th Nov 2015, 4:38 am   #15
FrankB
Heptode

They are commonly used here on aviation equip. and in commercial mfg. Almost any good "nut n bolt" supplier here has them in SAE and metric is also available, IIRC.. (Even Harbor Freight Tools has a kit of them. They are a Chinese tool dist. located in most major cities in the U.S. You can also order online. The installation tool looks like a pop rivet tool.)
I got my kit in the early 80's and it was made by Avibank.

Last edited by FrankB; 20th Nov 2015 at 4:39 am. Reason: Additional supplier info.
Old 20th Nov 2015, 8:03 am   #16
Radio Wrangler

Rivnuts..

As above, is like a pop rivet, but the mandrel screws into a thread in the rivet and the mandrel is re-usable. Apply like a pop rivet by squeezing with a similar tool, unscrew the mandrel and the thread it was in in the rivet is the size you wanted.

"PEMs" these are nuts with a sharp ridge on one side. The ridges can either be splined or hexagonal and have a circumferential groove. As said above, they need a very accurate hole size and a suitable material. They work in aluminium and mild steel. The ridge side is pressed into the hole. The ridge is a little too large, so it creates a curl of swarf which rolls round and into the circumferential groove. This leaves the nut sort of riveted onto the surface of the panel. They're strong if pulled from the opposite side of the panel, and weak if pulled from the same side. If one pulls out, the hole won't hold a replacement if you try to press another in.

"Nationals" Like a PEM but what you press in is a cage containing a floating nut which can't rotate. Works like a PEM but allows a little tolerance in alignment.

David
Old 20th Nov 2015, 2:43 pm   #17
emeritus
Dekatron

I have a quantity of Pressnuts (as opposed to "Pressed nuts": some distributors get the names wrong ) and Rivnuts that I salvaged from the skip when the Marconi site I was based at closed, but not the tools to mount them. I have got round this by drilling a hole that gives as tight a fit as possible and then applying Araldite to the rear.
Old 20th Nov 2015, 3:37 pm   #18
Julesomega
Nonode

White Goods, especially cheapo products, tend to have fittings attached by self-tap screws. Feet on electric radiators are a particular problem.
Small (M3 - M4) steel nut rivets insert nicely in thin sheet steel improving greatly on the original construction
I bought a tool which inserts both rivnuts and pop rivets because it looks nice and is die-cast, but it is considerably less convenient to use that the cheap rivnut tools
A word of warning: I borrowed a tool but could not remove the damaged mandril, so I bought a new tool and then discovered that the mandrils are on a LH thread (of course)
Closed Thread