UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2011, 5:23 am   #1
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Default Neat ways to mount replacement capacitors

Have any members got pictures of neat ways to mount modern replacement capacitors under mains smoothing electrolytics? Thanks
Old 27th Jul 2011, 9:08 am   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Neat ways to mount replacement capacitors

Just mount the replacement electrolytics under the chassis leaving the originals disconnected on the surface. Modern replacements are physically smaller so can fit almost anywhere.
Neil
Old 27th Jul 2011, 10:11 am   #3
BakeliteBear
Pentode

But surely they need an anchor point? I thought a tag strip might be a good idea??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tag Strip.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	54384  
Old 27th Jul 2011, 10:25 am   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

IMHO emptying the old can and re-stuffing with the new capacitors is, normally, the the most satisfactory solution. All the hook up points will be in the right position and the caps will be above the chassis, where the manufactorer intended. It's really not that the difficult to do either

Regards
David
Old 27th Jul 2011, 10:37 am   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thats the correct answer,stuff em!Or should state restuff em.

David
Old 27th Jul 2011, 10:38 am   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Another way to get in to the cap is saw in halve were the clamp is,this has been mentioned in a previous post on this subject.
Old 27th Jul 2011, 10:51 am   #7
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Ok, but does ripping all the guts out really retain ‘originality’?? I have though long and hard about this one, in fact I do a lot more thinking than doing!

I am currently minded to think it is a bit more 'honest' to do a really neat job with new components, a bit like the planners tend to think about extensions to listed buildings - show its new, but do it really well.

I could well be wrong, but I would like to see how other experienced forum members do a ‘really neat job’. If I don’t get any replies then perhaps I will get stuffing!
Old 27th Jul 2011, 11:14 am   #8
Station X

If you use a tag strip you'll only need two tags, as it's safe to use the common terminal on the old cap as the third tag.

I generally restuff. Alternatively I pull the guts out of the old cap and stick it together with aluminium tape concealed by the clamp. Then the new caps can be mounted on the old cap's tags.

If you restuff bring the new capacitors' leads outside the can and wrap them round the original tags.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Jul 2011, 11:29 am   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Unless the set in question is very rare,restuffing provides a working set without any obvious signs.Depending how its done.

This seems to be going back on a recent thread and how vintage cars can have replacement parts and still be worth as much or more,rather than non functional and totally original.

David
Old 27th Jul 2011, 11:32 am   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

One more thing to keep appearances is to use a fibreglass brush on the joints to dull them.
Old 27th Jul 2011, 2:16 pm   #11
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

If you are bothered about originality buy the proper caps. I bought a 50uf + 50uf new from the BVWS stall if you are not a member I think you can get them from Canada at a slightly greater cost +p&p They also stock other values. John.
Old 27th Jul 2011, 3:49 pm   #12
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
Ok, but does ripping all the guts out really retain ‘originality’?? I have though long and hard about this one, in fact I do a lot more thinking than doing!
Would you replace the mains cable if that was not up to scratch?
Old 27th Jul 2011, 10:52 pm   #13
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Quote:
Would you replace the mains cable if that was not up to scratch?
If the set is to be used there is no choice. I don’t think all the other choices to be made are so straightforward.

The post was supposed to be about neat ways of mounting electrolytics whilst leaving the original capacitor in place.

The only point I was making was that when it is possible to mount modern replacements underneath, why rip apart the original? Stuffing components is a neat trick, and a skilful job, but I do not accept it is the only logical approach.

As with many things in life it’s all a matter of personal taste. Life would be very boring if we were all the same!
Old 27th Jul 2011, 10:57 pm   #14
Station X

Tag strip for you then.

Old 28th Jul 2011, 2:16 am   #15
noble kiwi
Pentode

My experience shows that in the days when valve radios were bread and butter, the normal quick economical repair by the trade, involved simply fitting replacements in parallel, leaving the originals so as to provide mounting points. Nasty I know, but I have yet to come across a situation where this has in fact resulted in a short circuit and damage.

What has been the experience of others in this regard?
Old 28th Jul 2011, 7:52 am   #16
Station X

Connecting a GOOD electrolytic capacitor in parallel with an existing one cannot cause a short circuit. The short circuit would need to be there before the new capacitor was connected.

My experience is that electrolytics fail to short circuit, low resistance and high leakage. Such a capacitor is likely to overheat and possibly explode if left in circuit.

If you want to connect new caps in parallel with old you need to establish that the old caps have failed to open circuit or low capacitance and that the leakage is not too low.

Old 28th Jul 2011, 9:15 am   #17
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noble kiwi View Post
What has been the experience of others in this regard?
Removing the wreckage. Electrolytics almost always overheat and "pop" if bad and left in circuit. In the 1970s I repaired quite a few TVs & Radios "bodged" like that. It was laziness as removal of the old part was awkward in many cases.

Last edited by neon indicator; 28th Jul 2011 at 9:23 am.
Old 28th Jul 2011, 6:36 pm   #18
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeliteBear View Post

I am currently minded to think it is a bit more 'honest' to do a really neat job with new components, a bit like the planners tend to think about extensions to listed buildings - show its new, but do it really well.

I could well be wrong, but I would like to see how other experienced forum members do a ‘really neat job’. If I don’t get any replies then perhaps I will get stuffing!
That's what I do so I agree with you. Personally I leave cans in situ and fit new one under the chassis and other caps replaced with new ones in the same place.
Old 28th Jul 2011, 10:50 pm   #19
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Thanks Stitch1. Nice to know I am not alone!!
Old 29th Jul 2011, 12:22 am   #20
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeliteBear View Post

Firstly, nothing wrong with thinking - there's not enough of it about

Secondly, I like your parallel with listed buildings, and, having spent the last 10 years or so working on preserving ours I have to say that the best philosophy is to restore functionality and retain as much of the original as possible. For your situation with the capacitor this is easy. Leave the old one disconnected from the circuit and neatly fit a new one. Again, you've got it right (IMO) by wanting to make a neat job but not disguise the fact it's a replacement. A tag strip is probably the way to go though try to mount the tag strip on an existing screw or bolt. The old cap is a lovely record for the future - as is your repair

Thirdly, Please don't (for this particular job...) get stuffed!!!!

Fourthly, I have re-stuffed components, it's a great technique, sometimes its the best way to keep a bit of originality...

Cheers,
Steve.