UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2017, 10:52 pm   #1
Bookman
Hexode

Default EMI RS101B Complimentary Speakers

I have completed my work on my unit and must say what a truly nice sound the system provides. Luckily there is a thread that alludes to the wheel slipping and its impact on turntable (TA MK11) speed as I have the same issues.

The sound quality being as it is I was wondering what speakers to consider for a separate unit I was able to secure but without its speakers. The diagrams do not provide sufficient data that allows one to gauge effectively any impedance and RMS Power requirements.
Sound quality would always trump volume for me and as such I was hoping for suggestions from the forum. Similarly, I like all genres of music with the exception of Rap.
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 2:25 am   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: EMI RS101B Complimentary Speakers

It is sad but true - I had the very speakers for this unit about 6 months ago...and I re-furbished and sold them. This thread has pics of the rather beautiful items you are looking for - https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=71652 - they obviously do come up every once in a while!
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 8:28 am   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Something using the ubiquitous EMI 13*8 speakers would be both suitable and appropriate, I should think.
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 11:28 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You will need efficient speakers to make the most of the 5/6 watts per channel i.e. Reflex types with high sensitivity - say 91dB. Many of the Tannoys from 1980/90s - the Mercury, and Eclipse series will suit well.
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 12:14 pm   #5
RojDW48
Nonode

Come to think of it - I used the EMI speakers with my little Tripletone valve amp for a while and that worked OK. I have finally settled on a pair of Tannoy Revolution R1s for that setup and they sound very nice - might work for you too?
Old 24th Nov 2017, 10:06 am   #6
Bookman
Hexode

Many thanks for all of the responses and suggestions and even the bad luck issue; it is most appreciated and most helpful.
Closed Thread