UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2017, 5:11 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Article on [BBC] Local Radio.

In The Spectator - see here: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/11/...o-is-thriving/

(It only mentions BBC local radio though, which I feel is a bit of an omission]).
Old 17th Nov 2017, 10:15 pm   #2
johncoates
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Article on [BBC] Local Radio.

The Spectator article on the early days of BBC local radio certainly gets the idea of what it was all about in those days.
BBC local radio was, after all, not driven by advertising ..... unlike the local commercial stations that followed later. These were, of course, quite different in their ethos.
The BBC saw it as a way to expand its use of FM broadcasting.
We mustn't forget that in the late 60s, most people were still consuming radio on the medium-wave AM band or on the long-wave 200 kc/s frequency. In the early days, this inhibited the take-up of BBC local radio.
Many homes still did not have a VHF FM radio at that time.

In the mid 70s, I applied for a job with the recently-established BBC Radio Leeds.
It was, indeed, very much "do-it-yourself" radio ... rather amateurish in many ways.
I remember describing it as a long-running musical interlude - waiting for something to happen - although it rarely did.
Time went by, and local radio slowly found its role.
Leeds now has several local radio stations ... and good old Radio Leeds is still one of them.
Where would we be without it today ?

By the way - I didn't get the job.
They wanted an all-round reporter, rather than an electronics man.
Old 18th Nov 2017, 9:28 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

I too got interviewed at Radio Leeds in the early 70's (interviewed for broadcast, not for a job, though)

I noted that their location was right by that odd cylindrical pub on the pavement outside the Merrion centre. The General Wade, I think it was. The bond between journalism an pubs is legendary, I suppose...

David
Old 19th Nov 2017, 12:16 pm   #4
simpsons
Octode

From what my wife Maggie says about the BBC when she worked for the new fangled IT department in Central London, the pub was the preferred meeting place for everyone, not just journalists!! What happy days!
Old 21st Nov 2017, 1:14 pm   #5
johncoates
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I noted that their location was right by that odd cylindrical pub on the pavement outside the Merrion centre. The General Wade, I think it was. The bond between journalism an pubs is legendary, I suppose...
I visited the Radio Leeds studio near "The General Wade" a couple of times.
Much of the BBC appeared to be alcohol-fuelled.
Many years afterwards, I was on News Night (with Jeremy Paxman) in London.
The custom appeared to be that you gathered in the Green Room before the program (which went out live).
There - You could drink as much as you liked, and were encouraged to do so.
I suppose the idea was that it loosened-up your tongue prior to your appearance on the program.
Old 24th Nov 2017, 4:12 pm   #6
pastyboy
Hexode

My friend Dave has had several recent jobs in TV post production on the IT side and most interviews are informal and usually held in the 'local pub all in the Soho area of Londons west end BTW
Old 24th Nov 2017, 10:37 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

I remember that the Woodlark Inn near the home of BBC Radio Derby used to have a sign outside, "RADIO DERBY -- STUDIO 5". The demolition site next door to the Woodlark used to be The Ram, another watering hole from the days when when the city was a thirstier place; although as my Dad was a Woodlark regular, I never noticed if or not there was ever a humorous "Studio 4" sign there. (Radio Derby had two main studios fully equipped for general programme-making, plus a smaller "Area News Studio" with just one mic, a cart machine and a half-track tape deck capable of playing tapes straight from a roving reporter's Uher.)