UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2017, 4:20 pm   #1
AndrewMyM
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips 712A valuation

Hi, never sure if valuation requests from a forum newbie is a good thing or not!

I've read the post about radiogram values and desirability, also had a browse on eBay but non the wiser, the only mention of this set I can find on this forum is from 6 years ago where someone says they have never come across one probably due to the high original purchase price of 230gns

Either way, this was bought new by my grand mother, has the original manual and promotional flyer, she passed away a few years ago and it's now taking up space, it's a big unit!
As a supposedly high end 1950's unit is this worth anything or just a limited market like most radiograms?

Philips 712A Overture Radiogram

Thanks
Old 16th Nov 2017, 4:50 pm   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Philips 712A valuation

Hello and welcome. I haven't seen one either - if you could post photos of it including the record deck, it would help us assess the quality. There are very few radiograms that fetch big money - an exception is the Decca Stereo Decola from 58/9, which still commands the equivalent of its original purchase price (in Japan, where they are regarded as iconic) of around the same value as a new small family car!
Old 16th Nov 2017, 5:41 pm   #3
AndrewMyM
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the information, I'm not looking to fund my retirement with it but likewise I'm loath to just give it away.

I only have one external picture at the moment, Ill take some photos of the deck at the weekend.

She did have 3 children, 8 grand children and countless great grand children and although we weren't allowed to touch it I think we are to blame for the little chips here and there, right handle is in the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user42165_pic3902_1510850125.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	152356  
Old 16th Nov 2017, 5:49 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There is a very limited market for these. It does have a good specificaion and is from 1953. Of course, we do not know of it's condition or the likely cost of restoration, However, it has no VHF waveband and is mono only whicn may limit its appeal even further. Are you intending to sell this or do you need a Valuation for insurance purposes? If sold at Auction, unless it was to a Philips afficionado, I doubt it it would fetch £50. I worked for Philips so it pains me to write this.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 5:57 pm   #5
paulsherwin

It appears to be in beautiful condition despite the chips, but I'm afraid Edward is right. Radiograms of that era are actually too old to appeal to the burgeoning 'vinyl revival'/retro market so the only interest is going to come from collectors and enthusiasts, most of which will have far too many radiograms already.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 6:04 pm   #6
ukcol
Rest in Peace

There is some information on the gram on the radiomusium site here.

Service data download available here.

It looks very desirable from the point of view of the radio chassis spec.

It is AM only so may be the last (or one of the last) of the high spec grams made by Philips before VHF/FM came to the UK.

EDIT: Your picture link only gives me a black screen. I've tried removing the "https://" from the front of the URL which sometimes solves the problem. It clearly has worked OK for Paul so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Last edited by ukcol; 16th Nov 2017 at 6:10 pm.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 6:14 pm   #7
AndrewMyM
Retired Dormant Member

I think its because the picture is awaiting moderator approval

Thanks for advice everyone.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 6:30 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

There's also a pic here, Post#9..Philips pdf:

http://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=468625

Lawrence.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 6:39 pm   #9
RojDW48
Nonode

Thanks Lawrence - I couldn't see it either. A nice looking instrument but, as discussed, probably not hugely valuable these days. Don't you just yearn for the days when tracking weight was expressed in fractions of an ounce?!
Old 16th Nov 2017, 10:05 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

You don't mention whether or not you have switched it on (which is inadvisable, except possibly for a very brief trial) It appears to feature the AG3016 pickup cartridge, which is almost certainly dead and is expensive to replace.
Old 17th Nov 2017, 10:21 am   #11
Michael Maurice

As Bill says, do NOT switch it on.

This can be restored to full working order but it time consuming and not cheap.

It would be a shame to throw it away, if you don't want it then you could offer it to someone on the the forum.

If it was me and I had the space, (which I don't) I'd be restoring it. With a new cartridge, it can play stereo records though in mono, the pick up is quite lightweight, the deck is well built but will require a service and the radio/amplifier should perform well but only after a number of parts have been replaced.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 20th Nov 2017, 1:18 pm   #12
AndrewMyM
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the advice all, the unit had been in regular use until she passed away, I haven't tried turning it on since.

I'll stick it up for auction and see how it goes.
Closed Thread