UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2017, 7:04 pm   #1
Olliethecollie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Change of cartridge

Good afternoon,
Just working on a Collaro RC54 turntable that was causing me some distress and turned to your invaluable forum for advice and was very well served. The problem was the autochanger and a helpful thread told me exactly where to look.

Having sorted that problem I wondered if I could get some advice on cartridge replacement. The unit came with an X5M crystal stereo compatible cartridge but it is dropping volume and distorting. This clearly was not the original cartridge for this deck as it is really too big for the headshell and whoever fitted it had cracked the shell forcing it in. It had no mounting clip and the single central hole in the headshell does not align with the screw hole in the cartridge. So my question is what to replace it with? The amp is a Falcon. Please forgive me but am not up to speed on valve amps but can tell you it has 6 valves, namely Brimar 6, Emitron E36 7C76, Emitron 787, Mullard ECC81, 2 x Brimar 6BW6.
The tonearm has a single braided wire. I need a cartridge/stylus suitable for playing stereo records and can either bridge the cartridge pins or run a new set of wires to under the deck.
I look forward to your suggestions/advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171115_173140.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	152306   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171115_173910.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	152307   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171115_175055.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	152308  
Old 15th Nov 2017, 7:42 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Change of cartridge

The problem is the small headshell on this deck. There's nothing available out there that will fit other than one of those cheap Chinese black red types, although I've not tried one in a Collaro myself. You're lucky in the fact that you just need a medium output type, so these cheap ones will do the job and look small enough to fit in the head. There's no clip (unless you want to pay a premium and even then the clip may be too big for the headshell), so you'll have to use your ingenuity to fit it. They're very good for what they are and I've just ordered a couple more myself in the last few days, as they'll take a while to get here from China and with it getting close to Christmas!
Old 15th Nov 2017, 8:30 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

That looks like a nice period radiogram- a pair of 6BW6s should fairly belt it out when it's going right.

Any idea of make/model? Collaro is just the deck....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th Nov 2017, 8:35 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

What you are calling the "amp" is actually the Falcon Radiogram chassis. The "amp" section looks to use an ECC81 and the two 6BW6 in push-pull and sgould have sufficient gain for your needs. The BSR X5M (stereo- compatible) was an ideal match for this and can well understand why this was fitted as a replacement for the original Collaro Studio "O" cartridge. If you do manage to fit (don't use Blutak as it softens) one of these Chinese Red/Black generic cartridges, do be aware that there is no 78 option on these.
Old 15th Nov 2017, 8:59 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I would also recommend trying one of the Chinese cheapies. These can work very well if they suit the arm and amplifier. You may need to fabricate a mounting, but even a lump of Blu-tack will work in the short term.

Certainly try this before looking at more expensive solutions.
Old 15th Nov 2017, 9:17 pm   #6
sexton_mallard
Hexode

I appear to have the same turntable in a RGD tabletop radiogram (see thread here: http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...d.php?t=140582).

I have ordered one of these generic Chinese red and black cartridges for a few quid and intend to mold some epoxy putty to mount the cartridge in the tonearm headshell, maybe using clingfilm to stop it bonding to the headshell and using a small screw to fix it in place. I will pay attention to the downforce which may get easily exceeded. Perhaps I will try blutak as a 'proof of concept' beforehand,

Less snakes...more ladders!

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 15th Nov 2017 at 9:19 pm. Reason: Changed some text to improve readability.
Old 15th Nov 2017, 9:25 pm   #7
paulsherwin

The Chinese cartridges are lighter than earlier types so it's likely that the cartridge will track at a ligher weight than the original, unless you add a lot of weight as part of the mounting. I agree that tracking weight is an important consideration though.
Old 15th Nov 2017, 10:59 pm   #8
Olliethecollie
Retired Dormant Member

Well thanks everybody for your replies. The radiogram was a Ferguson 327 but the original chassis was not working and in a bad way so I found the Falcon chassis for sale and just had to modify the cabinet to accept it. The X5M was working well at first and it is a shame to replace it but I will take your collective advice and try one of the Chinese cartridges. For their price it's certainly no risk.
I still have the original Ferguson chassis and a very old Garrard deck free to anybody if they need parts. Let me know.
Dave
Old 15th Nov 2017, 11:31 pm   #9
electrogram
Heptode

'Dropping volume and distortion' sounds more like an amplifier problem than a cartridge problem
Old 15th Nov 2017, 11:45 pm   #10
Records
Hexode

I would second this, looking at the pictures of the chassis it looks like its still running its original capacitors, the real reason perhaps for dropping volume and distortion
Old 16th Nov 2017, 12:21 am   #11
Techman
Dekatron

If the OP confirms that the fault is also there when set to 'radio', then this will indicate an amplifier fault, but so far the OP is telling us that this fault is just on the record player section only.

It's not very clear, but the capacitors that can be seen in the under chassis picture look very much like the Mullard mustard type, which generally don't give any problems - perhaps the OP can confirm with a closer picture.

Those X5M cartridges are notorious for the faults described by the OP, due to the internal connections becoming oxidised, particularly if the pins have been flexed by pulling the connectors off and pushing back on again more than once, especially if they're tight.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 10:33 am   #12
Olliethecollie
Retired Dormant Member

Hello again,
I can't at present provide any more pics as I have slotted the chassis back into the cabinet. The loss of volume does not occur on radio which led me to believe it was the cartridge. This cartridge as I mentioned previously was wedged into the headshell and in fact the pins and tags were part of the interference fit holding it there. This coupled with the age of the cartridge and their predisposition to breakdown over time. I have ordered a Chinese cartridge and will pop it in to prove the diagnosis. Fingers crossed it is the problem or I'll be back in touch. As a matter of interest does anybody know of anybody localish (Camberley, Surrey)to me who does valve amp repairs. I also have an AMI Continental juke box with an amp that needs work.
Dave
Old 16th Nov 2017, 10:43 am   #13
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliethecollie View Post
As a matter of interest does anybody know of anybody localish (Camberley, Surrey)to me who does valve amp repairs. I also have an AMI Continental juke box with an amp that needs work.
Dave
I suggest posting a request in this section:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 5:23 pm   #14
Olliethecollie
Retired Dormant Member

Just to let you know the Chinese cartridge arrived and is now installed to great effect. It is small enough to fit easily in the tiny Collaro headshell. I bridged the pins in series and the volume is fine and it seems to be picking up both channels in full.
Thanks again to everybody for the advice.
Dave
Closed Thread