UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2017, 11:34 pm   #1
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker Grenadier Amp Problem

My Hacker Grenadier Has recently developed a fault and I'm hoping to get some constructive guidance on how to fix this as i love the look and sound. The last few times I've switched it on their is a regular "pulse" or "beat" for want of a better word this happens about every 2 seconds or so, I believe it's a capacitor failing but would anyone know which one may be the cause or how i would go about finding the failing cap?. I do have the service information downloaded ready to go. regards Gary
Old 20th Nov 2017, 9:06 am   #2
saxmaniac
Heptode

Default Re: Hacker Grenadier Amp Problem

What makes you think it's a capacitor? I'm guessing this model is solid state? I would check voltages first; ht then round the output stage then move backwards from there. A capacitor might cause this sort of fault but could be a transistor shorted pulling the supply voltage down for instance
Old 21st Nov 2017, 11:51 am   #3
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Looking at the service details it appears there are 5 transistors T1 T2 T101 T102 & BC149. Have the value codes changed for these not sure they are still available as not having much luck on Google.
Old 21st Nov 2017, 12:49 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If you have the Service Sheet/Circuit Diagram you will need to identify the transistor type numbers - i.e. not T1, but say BC149. If replacement transisitors are needed (and they may not be) there will be alternatives if the original type number is now no longer available.
Old 21st Nov 2017, 1:25 pm   #5
Station X

T1 T2 T101 T102 are all in the tone control unit and are BC149's

There are other transistors with 'T' designations in the main amplifier unit, which are all identified in the service sheet.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 12:27 am   #6
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that. Yes there are another 7 transistors on the main amp, values are as follows

T1 BC159
T2 BC148
T3 BC147
T4 2N3053
T5 2N1132
T6 H93 50
T7 H93 50

Just in case anyone else needs the info
Closed Thread