UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2017, 8:32 am   #21
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Early Pye stereo RP - model?

To get stereo, all four of the pins on that SX5H need to be connected. From the picture it wouls appear that only the + terminals of both channels have been wired, with one going to the negative side of the amplifier, and one to the +ve input thereof.
Old 12th Sep 2017, 2:02 pm   #22
AC/HL
Dekatron

It's a stereo player, fitted with a stereo cartridge. However, the headshell was designed for mono, and only has two contacts. If you go back to post 14 (and 7), the arm has been modified to use a common earth contact, so all is well.
Old 18th Nov 2017, 9:25 pm   #23
RojDW48
Nonode

Update time - this has been languishing for a while and I dug it out again this evening for another go. I tracked down what is presumably a stereo tuner RCA input and popped in a CD player and away it went. A surprisingly good sound, with decent bass, from the little (wall mounted?) speakers. All the controls seem to work nicely after a clean up.

Couple of queries - I haven't seen this make of driver before (see pic) unless it was Ralph and Allen back then. Any thoughts?

I wonder if there is a plate missing at the back with a bit of info on it - I haven't tried tracking it down yet but it isn't obvious what the central RCA socket is for....?

I thought the deck motor was stone dead and I was mulling over what deck to substitute when, like something out of a Hammer film, it began to come to life I guess the heat from the valves is softening some very sticky old grease in there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1230223.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	152477   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1230224.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	152478  
Old 18th Nov 2017, 9:43 pm   #24
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I agree, that R&A chassis is the type usually used for car radio speakers - fingerproof!
Old 18th Nov 2017, 9:55 pm   #25
AC/HL
Dekatron

R&A stands for Reproducers and Amplifiers: http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...26&postcount=6
The central RCA connector appears to be just somewhere to park that link which further appears to link both channels for mono?
Old 18th Nov 2017, 11:20 pm   #26
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

By the mid 1950s they had become a subsidiary of Pye Cambridge Limited.
Old 19th Nov 2017, 12:51 am   #27
RojDW48
Nonode

Thanks Bill - that's an interesting post. To look at you wouldn't expect anything much from these little drivers... but they sound much better than they look! Maybe there is something in their own hype to explain it. And, yes, that central RCA probably is a mono link - I shall take a closer look.
Old 19th Nov 2017, 3:35 pm   #28
RojDW48
Nonode

Edward - do you mean R&A became part of Pye? Did they re-brand and continue manufacturing - if so, do you know what they were called?

The photos in the ads in Bill's link (of all those nice ladies assembling drivers) reminded me of the Decca FFSS production line - ladies with small hands and nimble fingers were very much the preferred employee profile!
Old 19th Nov 2017, 5:07 pm   #29
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

They became a rather distant subsidiary company of Pye and continued to make speakers branded R&A until the early/mid 1960s. For quite long periods of time Pye only used R&A.
Old 20th Nov 2017, 12:55 am   #30
RojDW48
Nonode

I pulled the motor apart today, cleaned oiled and stuck it back together again and the deck is now functional - a bit rumbly until I remembered there were springs (in the little container of bits) that fitted under the board (!). I also tried it with better speakers. I dug out a pair of Celestion SL6s (they were a bit sniffy at first) and, especially on CD, they sounded good - that's a nice little amp - EL84 amps usually are, of course. Now I shall have to turn my attention to the relatively poor state of the woodwork.....not so much fun at all. Thanks for all the advice.