UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2010, 5:02 pm   #1
DJ Maelfait
Retired Dormant Member

Default HMV Gramophone, fake?

Seems that I'm here at the right place to ask about my own HMV.
I received it together with 78's from someone who had it for several years in her home.
She knew I was very fond of old radios etc.

But now i've read several of your posts and I'm wondering if my HMV is a fake or a real one... I'm including the link of some pictures of the details so that i might get a definitive answer.

Thx

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=3KZALQSZ
Old 31st Jul 2010, 5:29 pm   #2
triplespring
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: HMV Gramophone, fake?

Im afraid it is a fake. HMV never made such a model. This one originated in either India or China, and can be bought here in Australia from the Importers for $135.
You should find the same machine listed in this catalogue- the Al-1220 I think.

http://www.oldcrank.com/articles/cra.../catalog-1.pdf

And a little more info here.

http://www.oldcrank.com/articles/cra...roduction.html

I wouldn't recommend playing any good or valuable records on these reproduction machines. The soundbox employed is of a very poor design, and excessive record wear will result from it's use.

Last edited by triplespring; 31st Jul 2010 at 5:44 pm. Reason: to add second link
Old 31st Jul 2010, 5:32 pm   #3
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

That has all the features of a modern reproduction, HMV never made them like that.... :-

Regards, Mick.
Old 31st Jul 2010, 5:35 pm   #4
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

My understanding is that the motors on the crapophones are the genuine vintage item. Why on earth pull a good vintage gramophone to bits to make
a poor modern copy?
Old 31st Jul 2010, 5:49 pm   #5
triplespring
Retired Dormant Member

Actually, some use motors from old portables, but the one I have, has a brand new motor that is a poor quality copy of the Garrard No.30 motor.
I guess they're running out of genuine vintage motors to put in these things, so they've been forced to manufacture them from scratch.
Old 31st Jul 2010, 6:12 pm   #6
KEITHW
Retired Dormant Member

Hi DJ Maelfait,

It is a modern repro, but if you like it, enjoy it for what it is!

Please don't play any records with the soundbox pointing in the direction it is in on the photos, you'll be digging into the grooves and ruin the 78s.

Regards,
Keith
Old 31st Jul 2010, 9:53 pm   #7
Steerpike2
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
My understanding is that the motors on the crapophones are the genuine vintage item. Why on earth pull a good vintage gramophone to bits to make
a poor modern copy?

From what I have heard, as applied to South Africa (some years ago, not necessarily true now), there was a high tax/duty on the import of the genuine article, but not so if it was fake, or contained some fake parts. So stripping out the guts and making it partly fake made a mch higher profit if they sold them to the unwary.
Old 1st Aug 2010, 11:23 am   #8
DJ Maelfait
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you very much.
Finally this "mystery" is solved.
Hope to find me a real one some day.
Old 16th Jan 2012, 1:01 am   #9
Baldrick110
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All,

Can someone tell me how long they have been making these reproductions? I have one that has some of the suspect features but it is definitely quite old. I have only had it 10 years but the wood looks much older.
Old 16th Jan 2012, 11:42 am   #10
Audio1950
Dekatron

They have been around since the eighties, at least. The wood used probably is old, having come from another piece of furniture.
Although there are still many of these dreadful things being sold as genuine antiques, there are signs that as people have now got wise, it is no longer profitable to make them. The soundboxes and motors are now being sold on the open market, again as genuine HMV models, but they are poorly made, and bear no resemblance to anything that HMV ever made. Or maybe the supply of portable gramophones to rob the parts from has started to dry up?

Barry
Old 16th Jan 2012, 11:56 am   #11
Steve_P
Dekatron

Sorry about this...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 16th Jan 2012, 12:56 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Think most are made in India.

David
Old 17th Jan 2012, 7:29 am   #13
analogadikt
Tetrode

Yes, most, or all of them are from here.

A vintage motor in a new body is a solution when the wooden body and the brass horn is beyond salvage. I am not a fan of wind up gramophones, but as I know one of the suppliers who is supplying to importers abroad, I checked with him about this and also prices.

The price for a complete original article is about 350 pounds. Vintage motor with new wooden body costs about 70 pounds while the one with all parts of current manufacture is about 30 pounds.

Regards,