UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2021, 7:42 pm   #21
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Default Re: Mr Carlson's Lab

I have to say I’m a fan of Carlson lab is a bit dry but he is a really nice guy and a petrol head that’s helped me out on a few projects. I also like Glaslinger he is amazing, but some of his work is sloppy and leaves me cold. My favourite channel is probably Shangoo.

But don’t forget to give a shout out to some of the British home grown radio restorers we are the original men in sheds and still the best. Lots of great videos from the U.K. guys but they aren’t widely supported like the USA channels.

I like this guy he is an idiot and gets it wrong most of the time but he does at least enjoy himself https://youtu.be/cXOXFIb_-cc
Old 16th Feb 2021, 2:21 pm   #22
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Tried watching a few of mr carlsons video's again recently, But in my opinion he's a bit to clinical and likes the sound of his own voice a bit too much, Tends to say ''Way back in the day'' And ''At any rate'' every other sentence,

Everytime he repairs a radio or other device it works first time, No smoke or bangs that you get with the other guys, All to perfect for my liking,

As for glaslinger he's good but a bit unusual, He seems to live in a factory with access to every tool known to man,

Another good one is radio rescue, But you can't beat shango066
Old 13th Mar 2021, 10:33 am   #23
wireman
Heptode

I really liked some of the bigclivedotcom youtube videos, in particular backstage at the Edinburgh Tattoo and one about the history of the Christmas Lights in George Sq., Glasgow.
Old 13th Mar 2021, 1:26 pm   #24
Courtney Louise
Octode

I hate to bring this up but Glaslinger is female...
Old 13th Mar 2021, 2:51 pm   #25
PaulR
Dekatron

I like shango66. He appears a bit chaotic in some ways but that is his style and underneath he knows what he is doing. He is also very entertaining. He seems to be able to put his hand to anything including building repairs and plumbing. Don't watch if you are an elfinsafety freak though!

Mr Carlson is also good. Try to find his ice storm video from a few years ago. A departure from electronics but very spectacular.

I find EEVblog often goes a bit over my head but many of his technical explanation videos are very good and informative.

The value of the internet for sites like this and YouTube is immense.
Old 13th Mar 2021, 8:08 pm   #26
Radio Wrangler

The good thing is that there is a wide variety of these people producing videos at all levels. So whatever your interest, there's a channel for you.

Some are best avoided, a case of the blind leading the blind. But the rest are well worth the bandwidth they occupy.

You can also look at all sorts of subjects and get an appreciation of them, just out of interest. This is reality TV with the emphasis on reality and no pouting celebs. Wholesome! America dominates the output, but we Brits can hold our own. "I see your Mr Carlson, and I'll raise you a Tim Hunkin!"

David
Old 13th Mar 2021, 9:46 pm   #27
Tim
Dekatron

A thumbs up for all those from me.
Mr Carlson talks nearly as much as I do, but seems to be very thorough and is obviously competent. His channel is worth a look just to drool over all the vintage test equipment.

Oh gosh, I hadn’t realised Glasslinger is female! The more ladies in our sphere the better.

I just hope that when I start my channel it’s a quarter as good as these folk.

Last edited by Tim; 13th Mar 2021 at 9:54 pm.
Old 15th Mar 2021, 1:15 pm   #28
The Philpott
Dekatron

Carlson's own bespoke capacitor testers look on the face of it to be state of the art, streets ahead of the capacitor testing facility on your average DMM. (I wonder how much he charges for them..)

Dave
Old 15th Mar 2021, 1:37 pm   #29
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Carlson's own bespoke capacitor testers look on the face of it to be state of the art, streets ahead of the capacitor testing facility on your average DMM. (I wonder how much he charges for them..)

Dave
I think that if you join him on Patreon you can get full instructions on how to build one. He certainly designs some clever stuff.