UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Oct 2018, 9:03 pm   #21
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Re: Philips N4307 problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
added info to picture
They are AC187 x 2 (ts6 and ts8 ) and AC188 (ts7)
Old 16th Oct 2018, 3:41 am   #22
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Sorry I see what you are saying now , you are looking for these bud .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4307 ts.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	171052  
Old 16th Oct 2018, 10:15 am   #23
Spineway
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
added info to picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkDaveUK View Post
Sorry I see what you are saying now , you are looking for these bud .
Great, thank you both for confirming that.

I'm sure you've spotted that I'm very much learning as I go here!

So T6-8 with the AC prefix are the germanium transistors, which are the ones prone to deteriorate. T1-5 with the BC prefix I can now see are much smaller silicon components, presumably not used for amplifying the output but have some other purpose, eg switching?

Anyway, thanks again, and hopefully I'm near to having a fully working model.
Old 16th Oct 2018, 11:04 am   #24
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

I`m also still in the learning stage . I`ve only done maybe 25 units over the last 8 or 9 months so I`m still very new to it . I`m still struggling with reading schematics a bit , I tend to use the diagrams more than the schematic and I really shouldn`t but its gets me through in the end . As for the transistors , germanium aren`t necessarily any more vulnerable than the silicon ones . It really depends on what they are being used for . In these circuits , the large germanium can transistors are in the power amp section , and the silicon ones are in the preamp sections . Checking the voltages will tell you if they are good or not without having to pull them to test them on the bench . I`m actually working on a 4308 at the moment , (same board) mine has no record , so I`m scratching my head over one too .lol .
Closed Thread