UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2021, 11:06 am   #1
HECTOR63
Banned

Default Playing 78's on a Project turntable.

https://www.projectaudio.com.au/blog...ow-to-play-78s

It's a concept we were asked for the other day from a customer and thought to post this rather clever set up from project and their take on the subject
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 12:11 pm   #2
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Re: Playing 78's on a Project turntable.

I've been aware of the Project turntables, we had a 78 type at work and used it for a while which gave fairly good results.

I myself use one of the 1930s Marconi/HMV/EMI gram units (with the bakelite tone arm) that were sold to plug into your radio along with a diamond tipped needle (really intended for the early 78 wurlitzers). I think it's fairly good set-up, obviously it's from the days when 78s were in their prime and I think whoever designed the pick up really knew what they were trying to achieve. It has very good response throughout the frequency range of 78s and limits the scratch amplification too.

I've tried all sorts over the last few years when messing around with various turntables, cartridges etc but I always liked the EMI pick up the most. I'm sure people's opinions may differ but I think it's a good all rounder.
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 12:13 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Some good advice there, but...I never understood why people would pay so much money for a turntable where to change the speed you have to faff around moving belts and pulleys by hand when a simple lever or switch are all that are required! Audiophoolery I suppose.
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 12:23 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

The link is just to some rather simplistic instructions from the project people telling you that some of their turntables need to have the motor pulley changed, others have a step already on the pulley, and the electronic ones can be set to 78.

As far as cartridges go, they say that some Ortofon cartridges can take a normal groove (IE not microgroove) stylus fitted. They don't mention that you might like to change your tracking weight, but they do say that if you have any other cartridge, you will need to get it 're-calibrated' by your dealer!

As it's very specific and only useful for people running certain Ortofon cartridges in project turntables, let's just leave it here for reference.

I'll edit the title to project turntable so people can find it.

David