UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2021, 4:37 am   #1
afunknyc
Diode

Default Fostex Model 20 - Stops Intermittently

Hi,

Thought I'd put this out there if some has had this same problem.

Model 20, when in Play with tape loaded it will intermittently stop, when it stops the counter display goes out the Record LED next to its button flashes for a few seconds, the capstan motor speed slows and pulses. None of the transport functions work. Then after 5 or so seconds the counter comes back on at "0" and it works again for a few minutes then same issue.

I've run a few hot and component cooler cycles , but can't find if its the processor or one of the gate IC's. I've replaced the +24 reg. didn't help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Best regards,
Andrew

Last edited by Station X; 18th Jun 2021 at 8:43 am. Reason: Email address removed.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 10:36 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Fostex Model 20 - Stops Intermittently

Could be a power supply issue, a decoupling capacitor going short or something like that.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 2:34 pm   #3
afunknyc
Diode

Default Re: Fostex Model 20 - Stops Intermittently

Thanks for the reply.

All the power supply rails are solid, even when it fails, I'm pretty sure it's a system control issue.

Andrew
Closed Thread