UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2021, 5:27 pm   #21
John_Dw
Tetrode

Default Re: What radios are you currently using?

Only been restoring and collecting (this time round) for about 6 months but in the kitchen I have an Ultra U405, in the bedroom an Ultra T401 Usually tuned to Radio 5) and a Philips 141U-15 (usually on Absolute Radio), in the 'Office' currently a Philips B2G04U (as that is the only one that will currently produce a MW broadcast signal through all of the RF hash) and in the garden I cycle through my Marconiphone P17B, Marconiphone P20B (currently out of service as the battery is in the P17B), my Cossor 551 and my Eveready Sky baby....there are others but I either haven't found places for them or they are not yet restored....
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 5:57 pm   #22
PJL
Dekatron

Whilst lockdown decorating we have been using a Murphy U472 playing our (very) local radio station Seahaven FM. Great music variety but they only have a limited number of advertisers and we now know the adverts off by heart.
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 7:53 pm   #23
Bob_Moss
Pentode

Currently soak testing a Bush DAC10 (seeing how long the original mains filter capacitor will last), and my trusty Ferguson 3127 - bought by me in 1976- when I need VHF. 3 hours per day for the Bush, 1 hour for the Fergie. Plus a Dansette 111 in the kitchen and a Sony in the lounge (4-band LW/MW/VHF/DAB).
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 9:01 pm   #24

Just noticed the subtly in the title "What radios are you currently using?" only one at at the moment.

Old 23rd Jun 2021, 7:39 pm   #25
RobertFM
Triode

I have a R606MB in the bathroom. In the dining room, tuned into my Spitfire, is my Ecko U76. In my radio room at the moment I am using my late grandfather's Ever Ready Skyleader. I have an RFM 3 in the workshop, and a Hacker Hunter for use in the garden. I have a Dac90 on my bedside table, and a R900 in the kitchen. I rotate the radios in the sitting room - at the moment my Invicta type 72 is wired into the picture rail aerial. In my office I have a GEC BC 4850 in daily use, with an RM33 for Radio Nan Gaidheal on the preset. I keep an R600 in the caravan. The U76 is my wife's favourite- even if it didn't work it would get a place on her sideboard.
Old 24th Jun 2021, 10:56 pm   #26
William78
Triode

I have a Panasonic RF-1105DLBE portable in the kitchen, in the living room a Murphy B40D connected to a long wire aerial and a Kenwood KT-6040, which is used for FM Dxing. These radios are used often.

Upstairs is a Ferranti 255 valved domestic set and also a Technics SA300l receiver as well as a National Panasonic RF-1110LBE portable. All of these upstairs radios are used occasionally.

William
Old 25th Jun 2021, 7:10 am   #27
Viscount
Heptode

I use a Grundig yacht boy 210 in the bedroom and sometimes my Selena 215 ,i must say the Selena sound is incredible ,in the lounge its a TR82B, workshop radio is an Ekco A320.
Old 25th Jun 2021, 7:26 am   #28
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Morning All.

This week my Bush VHF 54 FM Radio 4.
Kevin
Old 25th Jun 2021, 3:09 pm   #29
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

Hi, At the Moment I have a Bush BA91 and a Lissen Conway dinning room, a Murphy A40c and a Philips monoknob radiogram in the living room and an Ekco B726 in the kitchen.

Regards
Trevor.
Old 26th Jun 2021, 10:24 am   #30
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Morning All
In the workshop this morning with radio 4 on is my Hallicrafters S36A HF.
Kevin.
Old 26th Jun 2021, 2:53 pm   #31
PaulPentagrid
Diode

Hi,
Basically I have a collection of valve radios here and rotate them and usually they work for 14 hour shifts on FM. I run an internet radio station here and I monitor that on FM from computer audio output low power around the house.
Ferranti U1032 - small radio but sounds good and done recap and great for monitoring
Bush VHF61 - another rebuilt set and works away for hours with no problems
Ecko A274 - a little bit raspy on the FM audio and need to spend some time on and check further.
Grundig 2028 - Nice radio
Ferguson 384U - Basic and nothing special.

They run for 14 hours at a time and then change after 4/5 days to rotate them. Another 20+ radios on the to rebuild pile one day !
Old 26th Jun 2021, 3:06 pm   #32
stitch1
Heptode

My current radio is usually my latest acquisition or completed project, for a while its been a EKCO AW70 I'm listening it now and expect it to be my favourite for a while.

John
Old 26th Jun 2021, 3:20 pm   #33
Beardyman
Hexode

After a re-arrangement of the workshop I'm currently using an Ultra U930, under that is a Defiant MSH902, then an HMV 1128 in the middle. To the left of that is a Murphy A98 with a Wartime Civilian Receiver on top. They all get regular use but not as much as the Murphy U198H in my partners workroom, that's on 8 hours a day 5 day's a week. There are others scattered around the house that get occasional use, a Ferguson 461 in the parlour along with a Bush DAC90A, Bush VHF81 in the bike workshop, Bush VHF70 in our bedroom & Bush VHF90A in the kitchen. So a fair few in truth!
Old 26th Jun 2021, 7:06 pm   #34
Vintage_RC
Heptode

My Decca TPW70 gets used most days, it hangs on the wall in the dining room by the door to the hall. Usually tuned to Radio 4 LW or my Minimod retransmitting my chosen FM station (currently LBC).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic5.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	236505  
Old 26th Jun 2021, 9:19 pm   #35
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Today has been a nice warm day so I've largely been listening - outdoors - to my Roberts R707. I've retro-fitted it with an internal 12V SLA cell to replace the two standard 6V lantern-batteries; the audio-output stage of a R707 deserves being fed from a really-low-internal-resistance supply if you want to take full advantage of its power and bass-response.

[Content has been a 90s dance/techno playlist streamed from an ancient Nokia phone via a "Parrot"-brand cheap-and-cheerful plug-in thingy sold back in the day to give you 'hands-free' phone operation via your car's FM radio]
Old 26th Jun 2021, 9:46 pm   #36
majoconz
Heptode

In the kitchen I rotate a selection of reasonably modern transistor radios - a Nordmende Globetrotter 7/601, Zenith T/O 3000-1, Zenith "Royal" D-7000-1, Sony CRF 5090 and a Sony CRF 580 - the cassette player still works! They all run from the mains, there's more battery operated radios but they tend to use the old PP9's which are horrendously expensive here. Mostly I listen to "Magic FM" which plays 50's to 70's or an MP3 player via an FM transmitter - over 600 tunes from an SD card! In the lounge there is a Stewart Warner R146 and a Blaupunkt "Sultan" which are both going well.
Old 26th Jun 2021, 10:25 pm   #37
Gabe001
Octode

The KBMR10 in the kitchen (now out of harm's way), on FM, gets used the most by far. I know that there are better FM sets, but the KB meets my needs.

I am also very fond on my recently restored Pye black box, and any excuse to play some vinyl is most welcome.

Gabriel
Old 27th Jun 2021, 8:30 pm   #38
cosmocat
Triode

In the conservatory- Armstrong Stereo12 (mk2) with Rogers ls3/5a speakers connected to kitchen DAB.

Defiant M234 in the the library and Murphy u198h in the he study.
A ferranti 745 in the guest room has been a talking point with friends who have stayed.
Old 27th Jun 2021, 9:29 pm   #39
samoca58
Triode

Although I have a few 60s vintage transistor radios I tend to have my current home brew receiver running.
Over the last year I have made several radios based on Russian rod pentode valves. Mostly regenerative types. My latest is a hybrid superhet with a couple of stages of IF using the valves. It is at the moment on R5 live listening to the footy. 🙄
Old 30th Jun 2021, 1:51 pm   #40
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Today has been a nice warm day so I've largely been listening - outdoors - to my Roberts R707. I've retro-fitted it with an internal 12V SLA cell to replace the two standard 6V lantern-batteries; the audio-output stage of a R707 deserves being fed from a really-low-internal-resistance supply if you want to take full advantage of its power and bass-response.
Ditto!
I have several 707's, but they rarely get any use, however, I have removed the battery holder to enable me to fit a 12v 2.3ah SLA battery into one of my more rougher examples.

It certainly lasts for months before needing a charge, and more importantly, can be used as a portable as intended.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140107.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	236804   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140108.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	236805  
Closed Thread