UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2021, 10:32 am   #21
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Cooling towers down, better FM reception now!

Generally, vertical polarisation is more likely to produce ghosting due to it's transmitting spread pattern being horizontal and thus more likely to create ghost signals bounced off tall objects to the sides. But clearly it is circumstantial and dependent on other things too like proximity to the transmitter - that always helps with better signal to noise/ghost.
Old 11th Jun 2021, 10:41 am   #22
paulsherwin

British UHF TV broadcasting has always used the convention that main transmitters use HP and relays use VP, though there are a few exceptions. I think it was the other way round in the 405 era.
Old 11th Jun 2021, 8:44 pm   #23
Junk Box Nick
Octode

When as a kid I got into amateur radio I used to spend a lot of time looking at the roofs of houses to see if I could spot amateur antennas, including the 2m and 4m beams, which back in those days (of AM, rock-bound, tuning the band from high to low) were nearly all J-Beam products.

Our holidays were a highlight for me with the prospect of spotting different aerials from those common at home (yep, I was a really strange kid) and I was particularly fascinated by the enormous 4 element beams with what appeared to be a delta feed that were common in the south west, and sometimes craned at odd angles to catch the signal coming over the hill.

So, to come to the point, through all this spotting of H and X aerials, folded dipole yagis, etc., and the occasional skeleton slot, I can’t recall ever travelling through an area where VHF TV antennas were horizontally polarised – though perhaps we didn’t holiday in the right places!
Old 12th Jun 2021, 7:26 am   #24
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
I can’t recall ever travelling through an area where VHF TV antennas were horizontally polarised – though perhaps we didn’t holiday in the right places!
List of various VHF TV transmitters with polarity, some were horizontal.
Acknowledge Pat Hawkers book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACD23E17-63F3-4067-97CE-AE324F6A9AC1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	235747  
Old 12th Jun 2021, 9:58 am   #25
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Thanks for that Frank.

I blame my parents. We didn’t holiday in any of those places!
Closed Thread