UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2021, 5:41 pm   #1
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Simple questions on battery chargers

Hi folks

Somehow I have ended up the three enormous, variously elderly battery chargers whose control systems are either absent, or look like they spent every bit of the last 30 years they did spend, in a damp shed. None work.

So now they are really big metal boxes with a heavy transformer and rectifier inside. I was looking at an easy way of making them useful, and this appeared

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263205621...kAAOSwmFpZuT~C

But I need to ask - is it OK to use what I assume is some kind of switch-mode thing on the primary side of a big dumb transformer with a big dumb rectifier on the other side? Also, at least one of them used to control by monitoring the current it supplied (there is a large, presumably temp-stable metal strip resistance in series with the load with sensing terminals across it) whereas that Chinese device seems to work by monitoring the battery voltage. I wonder if this is important.
cheers
Mark
Old 26th May 2021, 10:23 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Simple questions on battery chargers

I have a homebrew battery charger built around an old RS transformer with quite a few taps on the secondary, so I can set it to low, medium and high charge rates. That's all capped off with a relay and a zener that switches off the secondary circuit when V =14.8 (or pretty close) and this simple cut-off has worked very well for some years. Crucially, for me it has meters for both voltage and current, so you can see exactly what is going on. I wouldn't have the meter-less things currently on offer anywhere near the house.

The ebay module may very well do the job; for the princely sum of £3.86, it's worth a look! The rule these days with many modern batteries seems to be keep max current to no more than 4A, whereas I think higher rates were used back in the day when we all had a bottle of distilled water next to the battery charger! If it wasn't gassing nicely, it wasn't fully charged .

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 26th May 2021 at 10:30 pm.
Old 26th May 2021, 11:30 pm   #3
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I would think, if you've got a fairly discharged battery connected, the turn on surge through the transformer would weld the relay contacts together after a while on that module.

As Bazz says, cheap enough to give it a try and see what happens but do make sure your transformers are sound before messing with them.
Old 26th May 2021, 11:45 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

Although I do now have modern chargers with electronic control, before I got them I used a simple car battery trickle charger in conjunction with a lamp board to limit the charging current of small lead-acid batteries by selecting a 12V bulb of the approriate wattage to determine the charging current. Bulb brightness gave a good visual indication of current and hence state of charge.
Old 27th May 2021, 9:12 am   #5
paulsherwin

I do wonder if it's sensible for the OP to spend lots of time and money trying to revive this knackered old kit, which sounds like little more than scrap metal. Power supply equipment has evolved a lot since these chargers were made, and it's difficult to imagine a practical use for them even if they were in perfect condition.
Old 27th May 2021, 4:21 pm   #6
mark_in_manc
Octode

That's fair Paul. Not many people are as adverse to letting things go as I am. Well, maybe I'll have a play - I put the question up to see if (as is often the case) I am missing something straightforward and (myself excepted) widely known!

Thanks all
M
Old 27th May 2021, 5:24 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I do wonder if it's sensible for the OP to spend lots of time and money trying to revive this knackered old kit, which sounds like little more than scrap metal. Power supply equipment has evolved a lot since these chargers were made, and it's difficult to imagine a practical use for them even if they were in perfect condition.
I'm a bit surprised to hear you say that Paul. Perhaps it is the case that battery chargers fall more under the heading of automobilia than vintage radios? However, on another thread, there is a very long conversation about red light bulbs; quite what heading that falls under, I'll keep to myself .

B
Old 27th May 2021, 5:31 pm   #8

I have a "Ring" "intelligent" charger for lead acid batteries, 6 and 12V. It does a very good job and has even recovered a couple of lost causes in it's Hospital Mode. Probably cost less than a new, branded battery.

Old 27th May 2021, 5:38 pm   #9
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I have a "Ring" "intelligent" charger for lead acid batteries, 6 and 12V. It does a very good job and has even recovered a couple of lost causes in it's Hospital Mode. Probably cost less than a new, branded battery.
I guess that will include a pulsating mode? I've been an advocate of pulsators for many years and I am totally convinced that they have a very good effect on sulfated batteries, but they don't recover batteries which have died through other causes. I think the pulsator I have produces 16V volt spikes at ~16kHz, though the duration of the spike is too short to measure on any equipment that I have got. I bought it has a kit.

B
Old 27th May 2021, 8:21 pm   #10
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
I have a homebrew battery charger built around an old RS transformer with quite a few taps on the secondary, so I can set it to low, medium and high charge rates. That's all capped off with a relay and a zener that switches off the secondary circuit when V =14.8 (or pretty close) and this simple cut-off has worked very well for some years. Crucially, for me it has meters for both voltage and current, so you can see exactly what is going on. I wouldn't have the meter-less things currently on offer anywhere near the house.

B
On closer inspection, my 24v unit looks like it might have used a multi-tap transformer like you describe, whose taps were once activated as part of some kind of feedback loop. Thanks for your suggestion - that's given me the confidence to have a go at it. It was made by Varta and is convered in German writing, so I imagine the transformer and rectifier might be worth keeping - and there's a huge continental-style ceramic fuse inside too. It's all fairly good stuff, albeit a bit old and dirty.

cheers
Mark
Old 28th May 2021, 6:20 pm   #11
broadgage
Nonode

Back in the days when solid state regulating circuits were just becoming available, but were hugely expensive in large sizes, a type of semi-automatic charger was popular.

This used a simple transformer and bridge rectifier and ballast resistance to give a fast but crude and not regulated charge. When a voltage sensitive relay detected that the battery was almost fully charged at say 14.5 volts, this would "trip" and substitute a much smaller fully regulated constant voltage charging circuit, this could remain connected forever without cooking the battery.

I may still have one somewhere. The unregulated output was about 20 amps, varying a bit with line voltage and battery state of charge, and the regulated output was less than one amp at 13.8 volts.

The relay once tripped to the "slow and regulated" charge, latched in that state and required either manual resetting or isolating and then reinstating the mains supply to fast charge the next battery.
An auxiliary contact on the relay could light a lamp to advise that the connected battery was "done"

The better versions had a "Kelvin connection" to the battery clamps such that the ACTUAL battery voltage was measured and not battery voltage plus losses in the cables.
Standard 3 core mains flex was used, with two cores in parallel for the charging current, and the third core for the sensing connection.
Black sheathed mains flex for negative and orange for positive because red not readily available.
Old 28th May 2021, 8:03 pm   #12
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
The better versions had a "Kelvin connection" to the battery clamps such that the ACTUAL battery voltage was measured and not battery voltage plus losses in the cables.
I've got that on my homebrew , but it's a bit less essential at my usual 4-5 amps compared with your 20A. One of things I find with meters for both V and I is that no two batteries are alike; they have all had different lives and show individual charging characteristics. Of course, I still have the "old faithful" shop-bought unit from 30 years ago with its selenium rectifier and shaky moving-iron meter (accuracy unknown). It ran almost continuously around the clock in the days when I was working 2m AM with a Pye Vanguard in the 60's, but is rarely used now with modern batteries.

B