UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2020, 7:36 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Loblite adaptor.

Hi,
Despite living in France, I still use UK plugs & sockets for my 'workshop'. I use 13 amp and 5 amp types for soldering irons, Variacs, PSUs, etc.
I also have lots of 2 amp plugs & sockets, but I keep those just for connecting PA loudspeakers.
Last week I unearthed one of a pair of 'Loblite' 13 amp to 5 amp adaptors that were lurking in my 'Plug Box'.
Oddly, as well as accomodating a 5 amp and a 13 amp plug, there was another version that had the option of being wired onto a cable and used as a plug in its own right. There is the facility for adding terminals, and a cord grip and a knock out hole to exit the cable.
I wonder if there are hard wired ones out there?
PS, The soldered bits seen in the third photo were added by me to bypass intermittent brass rivets on the 13 amp socket.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loblite 513 1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	204069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loblite 513 2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	204070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loblite 513 3.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	204071  
Old 26th Apr 2020, 8:00 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Loblite adaptor.

Hi, I have one of these in my collection and also a version with two 13 amp sockets (I think, I'll have to take a look it definitely has a different socket combination to the 13/5 amp version though)

I had noticed that there seemed to be an option to fit a corded appliance, although not in either of the ones I own. The only other adapters I have seen that have the option to connect a corded appliance are Wylex and Dorman and Smith ones.

Andrew
Old 26th Apr 2020, 11:21 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Just the thing to plug your 3kW electric fire into

Can it get any worse? Well yes it can.

https://www.flameport.com/electric_m...a_5a_white.cs4

I presume Loblite and Grelco were connected (unlike their products)
Old 27th Apr 2020, 12:57 am   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

We used to have one like that, but with a 15A plug for its 2 x13A sockets and 1x 5A socket. Can't remember the fusing arrangements. Redundant after my parents moved into a new flat with all 13A sockets in 1967.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 8:08 am   #5
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Would any appliance that was hard-wired into that adapter only be able to have a maximum rating of 5 amps?

Or would someone wiring in a higher rated appliance simply replace that internal fuse with a 13 amp version? Thereby enabling the whole thing to be seriously overloaded.

I wouldn't like to trust that flimsy printed circuitry in a situation like I've described.

Peter.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 8:09 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Grelco were [Are they still around] produced high quality adaptors. They were a bit reluctant to produce WHITE Bakelite versions and it took them a while to catch up. There was a huge demand for these when the millions of houses built between the wars were being rewired in the 1960's. They were safe enough and I can't remember any incidents with them.
I encountered really dangerous and nasty wiring/connections/fuse boxes/leads/taped joints/incorrectly employed adaptors, I could go on but cannot recall any that caused fires or shocks. Bedsit land in South West London. You would not believe it! Amazing. John.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 8:21 am   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
Or would someone wiring in a higher rated appliance simply replace that internal fuse with a 13 amp version? Thereby enabling the whole thing to be seriously overloaded.
The 5A fuse appears to be the smaller size - hopefully preventing such a substitution.

Unfortunately, a more likely substitution would be a solid slug of metal, bypassing any internal protection whatsoever.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 8:34 am   #8
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Yes, Dave, you are quite right. I hadn't noticed it was a smaller physical size.

Further research found this (see pic)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20200427_0004 (2).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	204091  

Peter.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 10:35 am   #9
hannahs radios
Hexode

I've got one of those with a flexible flex from it to another 5 amp socket it's used in my workshop seems safe enough to me. Mine has the fuse soldered in not by me I hasten to add it came like that I just know it's going to be a right pain to change when the time comes
Old 27th Apr 2020, 12:11 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
Further research found this (see pic)
The PCB in the first post indicates the spare fuse, it's probably been lost over the years.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 7:39 pm   #11
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Are you sure that's the spare? It looks like it's attached to the 13A side.
Either way, a PCB will not last long in this place, not with 2KW attached!
Edit: just zoomed in on it, it's defo attached to mains.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 10:18 pm   #12
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Loblite adaptor.

Hi,
Yes, the fuse in the third pic is in circuit and would protect the wired in flex (if fitted) as well as the 5 amp socket,
The spare is indeed missing and would normally be kept in the hole in the bottom left corner of the base. There is an arrow etched onto the PCB pointing to it with the words 'spare fuse'.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 28th Apr 2020, 9:14 am   #13
Brigham
Octode

The first adaptor (13 amp + 5amp) was supplied to my school physics labs., when bench 13 amp (flat pin) power supplies were added.
They enabled 5 amp-fitted portable equipment such as oscilloscopes to be used from the new sockets.
The rest of the school remained on BS 546 5 and 15 amp radial circuits.
(Loblite was a Gateshead company, and so was a local (Co. Durham) product).
Closed Thread