UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2022, 2:03 pm   #1
Phonosandradios
Tetrode

Default Repair to a Garrard headshell

I have a headshell for a garrard pick up that is damaged and I was wondering what the best type of glue to use was. I am not sure if the material is bakelite or some other form of plastic. I am cautious as I don't want to use anything that will cause the headshell material to degrade but it needs to be something that has some strength to it.

The damage has occurred to the headshell where the part that connects into the main pick up arm joins the main part of the headshell. I have attached some pictures to show the whole headshell and also ones which show the damage and you can, with care, see the crack where the projection at the rear of the headshell joins the main body. The metal pins go right through into the inside of the headshell which still provide some strength but the plastic / bakelite itself has cracked. Any suggestions as to the best type of glue to use would be very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220118_124732.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	249929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220118_124500.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	249930   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220118_124543.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	249931   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220118_125028.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	249932  
Old 18th Jan 2022, 3:13 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Repair to a Garrard headshell

I think these are indeed Bakelite, and as such, Araldite or Superglue will work.

Superglue is probably better in this case as it will be drawn into the crack by capillary action.

There will be some white blooming along the join after it's set, but you can polish this off after a day or so.

This stuff is excellent and cheap in Wilkinsons. It pays to have a fresh-ish bottle, as it thickens with age: https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/loctite-...e-5g/p/0074309

Nick
Old 18th Jan 2022, 4:35 pm   #3
Phonosandradios
Tetrode

Perfect. Thanks for that advice. I thought of superglue originally but just had visions of the headshell melting after reacting with the stuff. Now I know its safe I will go ahead.
Old 19th Jan 2022, 5:29 am   #4
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I think these are indeed Bakelite, and as such, Araldite or Superglue will work.

Superglue is probably better in this case as it will be drawn into the crack by capillary action.

There will be some white blooming along the join after it's set, but you can polish this off after a day or so.

This stuff is excellent and cheap in Wilkinsons. It pays to have a fresh-ish bottle, as it thickens with age: https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/loctite-...e-5g/p/0074309

Nick
I think I'd use both. Superglue into the cracks, clamp lightly for 24hours. then mix a little araldite and flood the back of the cracked area (if you can get access, photo would be good) to give it wider support

cheers
Joe
Old 19th Jan 2022, 9:39 am   #5
FrankB
Heptode

If you happen to have a small piece missing at the crack, you can add baking soda to the CA glue, It will cause the glue to instantly set and fill the crack too. Then you can carefully sand down any excess. I have had good luck at "hiding" cracks after gluing by covering the crack with an asphalt based marker, like the 'Sharpie (tm) brand. Others have a slight color difference, so I have several brands.
Old 19th Jan 2022, 1:20 pm   #6
Phonosandradios
Tetrode

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely going to use super glue on this one and clamp in place - although getting it right back into place will require a bit of gentle force as the projection that has separated from the headshell has cracked along a line where it joins the headshell. There is no crack on the inside - see pic below. However the metal pins do go all the way through and these must of bent slightly or been pulled through slightly as the cracked and separated part won't go back into place.

I have only just obtained this so I don't know how this damage has occurred but assume that the headshell end of the arm must of suffered from a knock or had rough handling. I plan to use a clamp to ease the separated bit back into place and hold it in place whilst the glue sets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220119_121115.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	250016  
Closed Thread