UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2021, 7:21 am   #1
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default 630 metres CW anyone?

Hi All,

I have just acquired a Marconi TGY2 transmitter, which was a type fitted to a variety of naval vessels during WW2 and afterwards. The CW, MCW and AM coverage includes the MF band of 630 metres and I would be interested to hear from others operating CW on that band.

I have spent some time monitoring WSPR transmissions on the band and can see there is quite a bit of activity on datamodes, but up to now I've heard no CW transmissions.

73 for '22

Roger/G3VKM
Old 31st Dec 2021, 7:34 am   #2
terrybull
Octode

Default Re: 630 metres CW anyone?

This YouTuber has recently done a series on 630m cw.
https://youtu.be/ehNtB3BiB2c
Old 31st Dec 2021, 9:37 am   #3
Aub
Nonode

There used to be MCW navigation beacons in that part of the band.

Cheers

Aub
Old 31st Dec 2021, 4:43 pm   #4
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybull View Post
This YouTuber has recently done a series on 630m cw.
https://youtu.be/ehNtB3BiB2c
Thanks for that link, good grounding in using the band.

Roger
Old 14th Jan 2022, 2:38 am   #5
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3VKM_Roger View Post
Hi All,

but up to now I've heard no CW transmissions.

73 for '22

Roger/G3VKM
Hi Roger,

Just a couple of beacons over the last month or so - SM4WII/B just once,
and G0MRF. G0MRF is very strong here, and repeats every few minutes on 474kHz.Just heard it a few minutes ago.

Also heard a QSO on 7.1.22 at 2152 between DL3JJ and DJ6CB on 473kHz

I'd like to know if there is an 'activity period' on this band so I could
make a point of listening.

Kind regards

Dave G0ELJ
Old 14th Jan 2022, 7:04 am   #6
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Hi Dave,

When I posted the first message in this thread I had an off-list reply giving me 5 stations that are often on a Sunday morning CW net around 0800-0900 hrs local time. I won't give out the callsigns as it was a private message but they were mostly in the East Anglia area and one was in Cromer, very close to you and I.

Last Sunday I listened but only heard the tail-end of a CW QSO involving a Bedfordshire station who was about RST439 here. My receiving set-up isn't brilliant, I mostly use my Icom 7100 which works down to 150kHz but I can hear stuff on the CR300 at around the same strength as the Icom, although there is no S-meter in the CR300 of course.

The all-HF band aerial I use is a 100ft inverted L with buried radials and a Smartuner, the tuner being useless below 160 metres. I'm contemplating a loop antenna for receive but the prices of some of the commercial ones are a bit eye-watering!

The TGY2 has a variometer for tuning 330-500 kHz and there might be some way I can use that to provide a RX feed from the inverted L. At the moment, I'm making up a new power lead to go between the TX and a homebrew PSU. I have had the TX working into a dummy load (from a BC-375) and it works on all bands with the VFO.

I have been using the SDR at EI0CF for LF listening, mostly for NDBs, plus I have WSPR installed to use with the Icom and have had reception out to 1600km on occasion during this winter using the untuned L. G0MRF is a big signal here and can hear him now in beacon mode.

Perhaps we could have a chat about LF stuff on 2m or 70cm as we're pretty close?

Roger/G3VKM

Last edited by G3VKM_Roger; 14th Jan 2022 at 7:08 am. Reason: Spelling.
Old 15th Jan 2022, 12:08 pm   #7
Dave757
Heptode

Hi Roger,

Many thanks for the info, - I wish I could get external antennas up, but am unfortunately limited as they are not permitted
under my tenancy agreement and I have no back garden and a tiny front paved area. However, I am QRV on 2 metres
with an indoor antenna, but would only reach your area via NB. Perhaps we could arrange a sked on the repeater?

I'm currently using an indoor loop for MF reception. This is a wire loop made from
4 pair telephone cable with the pairs strapped and of the resulting four cores,
three are wired in series and tuned with a 1000pf Variable, and the fourth used to
couple to the Datong VLF converter The loop is 3.6 metres long and 1.8 metres
high, and as you can imagine, it is only put up when in use!.

My score for NDBs this winter so far is now approaching 150, so I am quite pleased
with the way it works.

I will certainly have a listen on 630m in the morning, and look forward to meeting
you on the air.

Best 73
Dave G0ELJ
Old 16th Jan 2022, 11:12 am   #8
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave757 View Post
Hi Roger,

Many thanks for the info, - I wish I could get external antennas up, but am unfortunately limited as they are not permitted

Best 73
Dave G0ELJ
Dave - You have a P/M.

Roger/G3VKM
Old 17th Jan 2022, 1:43 pm   #9
Keith
Heptode

Hi Roger,
My only foray onto 472kHz was using an ART13 with low frequency adaptor. I used a variometer and aerial current meter from a T1154. Had a couple of contacts and even got a mention in Radcom! I just strapped the feeders of my 80m doublet. I think I used a Racal RA17 as the receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	472kHz setup_comp.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	249843  
Old 18th Jan 2022, 2:24 pm   #10
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Hi Roger,
My only foray onto 472kHz was using an ART13 with low frequency adaptor. I used a variometer and aerial current meter from a T1154. Had a couple of contacts and even got a mention in Radcom! I just strapped the feeders of my 80m doublet. I think I used a Racal RA17 as the receiver.
Hi Keith,

There are still a few people on 472 CW apparently, around 0800 on Sundays. I will see if the TGY2 will work there with my inverted L. The TX has a built-in variometer and was supposed to work into end fed wires on smaller naval vessels. My CR300 seems to work OK on 472 but I may have to make a loop aerial or an ATU for the receiver.

Roger/G3VKM
Closed Thread