UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2022, 6:38 pm   #1
qtronix
Pentode

Default jlh 1969 voltage mismatch

quick q so i built this circuit a while back,
but got it back out to have a mess with it.
if you look a my crap drawing i have a 2v diff between the l and r channel,

one is 0.8 the other 2.8. every part between the 2 boards is within .1 tolerance.
everything is the same voltage on each board apart from where i have marked on the drawing.
this is making the one board with 0.8 run about 10 % hotter. any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eeeeee.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	249237  
Old 7th Jan 2022, 6:43 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: jlh 1969 voltage mismatch

If there's a static voltage across the speaker-terminals it suggests that the output-coupling capacitor [C2 in your diagram] is leaky.
Old 7th Jan 2022, 6:57 pm   #3
Ambientnoise
Heptode

0.8v represents 0.08mA through the 10k resistor; this can only come from leakage through the output cap. This is high with the other channel even more but given that the standing current in the output transistors is over 1A, most unlikely to be the cause of overheating unless there is instability going on.
The standing current is set by R1, R2 and the current gain of TR2. These may have shifted from when first built. You need to check this, just the current on the V+ supply to the whole amp will do.
To check for instability, you really need a scope but a judicious finger on various points may give a clue. There was a later article covering some mods to the design, to add compensation components and tame its bandwidth though I don’t think it was particularly sensitive originally.
Old 7th Jan 2022, 7:11 pm   #4
mole42uk
Nonode

JLH 1969 amplifiers run very hot - mine achieves a heatsink temperature of 80º in normal use. I used 105º components for the output capacitors to give them an even chance. If you have a different DC voltage on the speaker outputs it must be a leaky capacitor.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 7th Jan 2022, 7:16 pm   #5
qtronix
Pentode

just pulled the 2500 caps one is 3476 the other 3347.
they where brand new never would have thought they would be so off.
so out of all the components on the board i never tested these.
live and learn lol, thanks guys. i just wasted about an hour pulling every other part lmao.
Old 7th Jan 2022, 7:22 pm   #6
qtronix
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
JLH 1969 amplifiers run very hot - mine achieves a heatsink temperature of 80º in normal use. I used 105º components for the output capacitors to give them an even chance. If you have a different DC voltage on the speaker outputs it must be a leaky capacitor.
i built mine in an old amp case i had just to test it out. until i get around to building a better case.
i have an old rack mount case i am temped to put it in its massive with larghe heatsinks.
the heatsinks are small for now so i changes a couple of things to keep the temp under control.
but when i just put my hand on to test the temp i come close to getting 3rd degree burns off the one channel lol.
Old 7th Jan 2022, 9:30 pm   #7
Silicon
Nonode

If the output capacitors are electrolytic then some leakage through them is to be expected.

The capacity tolerance can also be large.

Put an 8 Ohm resistor across the output terminals and then measure the voltage across it.
Closed Thread