UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2022, 10:21 pm   #1
stevie23
Pentode

Default Beocord 2000 buzzing

Hello all and HNY!!
I have a Beocord 2000 deluxe I really want to get working properly and so far all is good except I have a problem with a buzzing that occurs after it has been on for 5/10 minutes. It seems to be emanating from the back around the mains connector area. I have taken a video. If anyone recognizes that sound and can help me or give me advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Heres the video link : (I couldnt upload it, it was 77MB).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Unl...ew?usp=sharing
Thanks,
regards,
Steve.S

Last edited by stevie23; 6th Jan 2022 at 10:34 pm. Reason: added content
Old 7th Jan 2022, 2:50 pm   #2
mitajohn
Pentode

Default Re: Beocord 2000 buzzing

My guess: Unplug the mains cable. Disconnect the secondary cables of the transformer, then connect the recorder to the mains again and see what happens.
Old 7th Jan 2022, 2:57 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I also suspect the transformer - a piece of wood used as a stethoscope is handy here. I take it the recorder works well otherwise?
The good news is I have a machine here for spares so I may well be able to help you when you've reached a diagnosis.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 1:22 am   #4
teetoon
Heptode

Hi Steve.
I had one of these years ago that buzzed after being on a while.. It came from the transformer.
After it warmed up the buzzing stopped. It worked perfectly otherwise.

I had 2 others bought for spares as it's usually the heads going O/C that renders them U/S so there are plenty of machines for parts out there.
I sold my 3 before a house move in 2012..

David.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:12 pm   #5
stevie23
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
I also suspect the transformer - a piece of wood used as a stethoscope is handy here. I take it the recorder works well otherwise?
The good news is I have a machine here for spares so I may well be able to help you when you've reached a diagnosis.
Yes, good suggestion. Thanks. I used a wooden spoon. The buzzing is coming from the transformer itself. Would you have a spare? Does anyone reckon its possible I could stop the buzzing in any way?

I dont think any of the heads are O/C as all play and recording functions work correctly. Also, I'm sure I checked them already a few months ago with my multimeter.
Thanks again!

Steve.
Old 9th Jan 2022, 3:36 pm   #6
wd40addict
Octode

The transformers on these do buzz. When I had one I never managed to improve it.
Old 10th Jan 2022, 11:13 am   #7
stevie23
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hi! I believe that the transformer is at fault yes. I've now discovered that its a common fault with B&O machines that the transformer corrupts after a while... Would you have a spare transformer you can liberate from your spares machine?

Steve.
Closed Thread