UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2021, 11:49 pm   #21
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Philips 1400AF projection television progress

I have just given it another try with the brightness and contrast turned down to minimum. The picture looks better on the camera now though the picture is much more bright and crisp than the picture shows.

Whilst I had the aurora connected, I played a DVD through it. The picture quality does look good. The sound from the speaker is pretty good as it has a decent size to it being a console cabinet.

I will have to get the line timebase centred and have another go.

Christopher Capener

p.s spot the ant. I have no idea where that came walking in from!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	third picture.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	248734  
Old 1st Jan 2022, 12:09 am   #22
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 1400AF projection television progress

I think your line timebase is running at half speed.

Peter
Old 1st Jan 2022, 11:13 am   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Agree. It confused me a bit due to it's clean perfect shape! Probably a resistor gone high, maybe R69 270K. J.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 1st Jan 2022 at 11:19 am.
Old 1st Jan 2022, 6:21 pm   #24
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I agree I think the series resistors to both the line and frame hold pots require checking. They are both right on the adjustment limits of their controls. I managed to get the line to lock (just!) at the correct frequency.
The volume pot didn't respond to some switch cleaner so will have to remove the front control assembly again.

Christopher Capener

p.s
I did the Christmas turkey today as I was at my parents for Christmas day. I burnt a couple of small sausages which fell down the back of the tray. They reminded me of something. Can you tell which one it is
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	centred.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	248805   Click image for larger version

Name:	capacitor.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	248806  
Old 1st Jan 2022, 6:35 pm   #25
peter_scott
Dekatron

Yes, an over cooked sausage and an over cooked Philips black capacitor are difficult to tell apart.

Peter
Old 1st Jan 2022, 8:14 pm   #26
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

If you pull one of those tar capacitors apart, you'll find sausage meat inside it

Regards,
Lloyd.

PS, good work on the telly so far!
Old 1st Jan 2022, 8:51 pm   #27
Jan Zodiac
Pentode

About the old Philips potentiometers. If they are the same type as used in the chassis of the attached photo, then I understand your trouble with them. I restored some early Philips sets myself (TDK1410 - TDK1420 - TDK1720 and TDK1722) and I really had a lot of trouble with those pots. I remember I even had to open a few of them to get them properly cleaned. That was pretty difficult. Especially the ones for vertical and horizontal hold was bad. You can live with a noisy volume pot, but the same problem on the hold controls, makes it almost impossible to adjust correctly.

Jan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	42.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	248821  
Old 1st Jan 2022, 10:13 pm   #28
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
I burnt a couple of small sausages which fell down the back of the tray. They reminded me of something. Can you tell which one it is
I think the first one is the capacitor with it's leads cut off.

To be fair to Philips those black tar capacitors had a very long service life. They outlived all the conventional wax types and many were still good after 25 years or so. Nothing lasts for ever. That picture looks really good, just needs a bit more height and width. Warm the EHT cup before removal. If it very tight it can snap the glass cup. A smear of silicon grease will aid future removal. John.
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 12:12 am   #29
high_vacuum_house
Octode

A bit more progress tonight.
The resistors in series with the line hold and frame hold pots were checked and had gone rather high in value. Replacing these brought the controls back to near their mid point and eliminated picture jitter.

There are still a few black capacitors to change. There is one in the width control circuit which was replaced and the width is more controllable now.

I found the issue with the uncontrollable sound was caused by a poor connection on one of the 13 way paxolin plug/sockets that connect the front controls with the chassis assembly. After giving these a clean and making sure they were well pushed home, the sound is now very good with no crackles.

With the Aurora connected to a DVD player, the picture quality is good and stable.

Christopher Capeer
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 11:03 pm   #30
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I refitted the CRT assembly back into the optical assembly and refitted the final mirror and tidied things up a bit. I adjusted the final mirror to get the picture more central onto the Fresnel lens. I adjusted the mechanical focus but it needs a bit more fiddling to get the focus better.

After refitting everything, I played a film through the aurora to see how it performed. I have no idea how bright the picture would be when new but it was bright enough to watch comfortably once most of the lights were switched off.

Just needs the mechanical focusing to be improved and the Fresnel lens cleaned and I think that it is not far off complete.

Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front_a.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	248908   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_b.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	248909  
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 11:32 pm   #31
peter_scott
Dekatron

Well done! That certainly looks as bright as I remember the 1400A.

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 2nd Jan 2022 at 11:47 pm.
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 12:57 am   #32
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Don't remove the outer circular corrector plate on the optical unit. It is very difficult to refit and will make correct overall focusing very difficult.
Manual focus can be a bit of a fiddle at first but it should be perfectly focused over the entire area of the screen

What a cracking picture! A very brave attempt Chris. Well done. John.
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 9:25 am   #33
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
If you mark the corrector lens in relation to its fitted position there is no problem removing it. I had the corrector lens off the Decca 1000 many moons ago and didn't mark it and it easily set up rotating it but TBH the change was pretty marginal. I did a rare Peto Scott projection set last year and the corrector lens had gone white inside from corrosion so a Philips 1400 lens was substituted and it worked perfectly with excellent focus.

That's a brilliant picture on your set. I really like the pictures on a good projection set, well done.
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 10:29 am   #34
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The corrector lens was quite critical in the DECCA 131 I restored for the museum. The original Philips projection service kit included a jig to set it correctly.
Your Decca 1000 came from an hotel in Littlehampton. I didn't touch it but it was very original. I have another one that actually came from Decca Radar at New Malden when they closed the service dept decades ago! John.
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 11:31 am   #35
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Your Decca 1000 came from an hotel in Littlehampton.
Not the beach hotel by any chance, I worked there part time when I was a student, once served Margaret Rutherford tea. It was Littlehampton's most prestigeous hotel and just the sort of place to have a projection TV.

Its now long gone, replaced by flats which sit on the old footprint which is crescent shaped.

Peter
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 7:25 pm   #36
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Exactly! The hotel with the strange log timberwork almost on the beach. Long gone...John.
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 8:56 pm   #37
lightning
Heptode

That's a lovely old TV, well done on the restoration. Should see it right for the next fifty years
Old 4th Jan 2022, 12:04 am   #38
high_vacuum_house
Octode

More progress today,
The screen had white dots and marks on it and had distorted a bit over time. This probably didn't help the final optical focus.
Final mirror removed and screen removed from cabinet. It is a thin Fresnel lens sheet held in tension by 4 small springs, one on each corner. All assembled on a rectangular frame which screws into the cabinet.
With the screen removed from the frame, it was washed in the sink with ordinary soap and water. This cleaned all of the white marks off and it looked a little less yellowed.
To flatten it out I warmed it up with hot water and flattened it with some heavy chopping boards and a big bag of flour and left it nearly an hour. It is still a little warped but now considerably flatter.
Dried and reassembled.
Whilst the screen was out I cleaned the screen surround, speaker surround and knobs. The top of the cabinet was also polished. The cloth went nearly black! With the screen refitted the cabinet looks much better now.
With test card C I was able to get the mechanical (optical) focus much better now. The picture looks a lot clearer now.
Think I am not too far on completing the restoration

Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen removed.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	248972   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen flattened.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	248973   Click image for larger version

Name:	complete.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	248974   Click image for larger version

Name:	complete1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	248975  
Old 4th Jan 2022, 2:01 am   #39
McMurdo
Dekatron

A great write-up and result, there can't be too many of these projection sets left. I wonder what the designers would've thought of our modern 60-inch lcd screens.
Old 4th Jan 2022, 12:02 pm   #40
peterpixel
Pentode

A very interesting read indeed. Way back in the mists of time I came across Philips and Ferranti projection sets and being based in Manchester we could obtain new screen material from Ferranti in Oldham. It was Gem Mill I think. The service manual called for Egyptian cotton wool used with, I think, industrial alcohol as the cleaning materials. The alcohol was obtained from the local chemist after undergoing the inquisition by the pharmacist but the Egyption cotton wool drew a blank. I have a vague memory of the subject of seeds contained with the cotton being less of a problem with the Egyption variety being mentioned. All a very long time ago. Well done Christopher. Peter.
Closed Thread