UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2022, 11:49 am   #41
regenfreak
Heptode

Default Re: German one-valve superhet FM tuner

Quote:
Perhaps though the best heptode for FM work – for anyone inclined that way - was that in the Brimar 12AH8 triode heptode. Brimar seemed to have put some effort into obtaining reasonable FM performance.
Many thanks for the info.
Looking at the datasheet for Brimar 12AH8, it has an equivalent noise resistance of RNv=100k ohms. The noise voltage is 18 microVolts at VHF. This seems massive compared with ECC85, RNv= 500ohms and ECF80 pentode section RNv=1500ohms.

100k may be the overall equivalent resistance of all sections. The noise figure RF is a non-linear function of RNv, it would give 12AHB a bad noise figure:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...nt-input-noise

Quote:
ts definitive response was the 6X8 triode pentode in 1951, suitable for AM, FM and AM/FM as well as TV frequency changing.
This is new to me too.

This listing gives a rough snapshot of the types of FM valves used in different decades:

https://mwsherman.com/fmonly/fm_only_list.html

Note the prevalence of 12AT and 12DT8; I believe they are very similar except 12DT8 has an isolating earthed screen between triode sections. Note the 44-50MHz FM band in 1930s.

Quote:
However, I suspect that the request for this kind of valve may have come from Zenith, who had a history of working with valve makers on new valve types (and later did the same with the IC makers.). Zenith had not long changed its domestic receiver FM front end from the two-valve type (combined AM and FM) to the single-valve type (FM-only), using the 12DT8. It probably wanted to keep to that format with the introduction of stereo, of which it was a major proponent, but also needed more RF gain for a better quieting curve.
Zenith seems to be a master of FM valve sets using good quality components and simple but effective designs. I have two Zenith H722 radios. Both of them works perfectly without the need to change any of the components including electrolytic caps. Its one-valve 12DT8 autodyne design provides impressive sensitivity and selectivity.
Old 15th Jan 2022, 1:10 am   #42
Synchrodyne
Nonode

If you haven’t already seen it, BBC Research Report 1953-02 of 1953 January provides some information American and German FM/AM receivers of the time. It is available at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/rdreport_1953_02.

By then, the American receivers had settled down to their respective makers’ normal patterns.

Zenith, RCA and GE all use the same front ends for both FM and AM, including the RF amplifier for AM. Zenith used a 6BJ6 RF amplifier with a 12AT7 mixer-oscillator. RCA used a 6CB6 RF amplifier with a 6X8 mixer oscillator. The mixer part was operated as a pentode on AM, but triode-strapped on FM. GE used a 6BJ6 RF amplifier, with a 12AT7 as mixer-oscillator on FM. On AM, the oscillator part of the 12AT7 was used, but the 1st 12AU6 pentode in the IF strip served as an AM mixer as well as 1st FM IF amplifier. (GE was also known to use pentodes in autodyne mode for AM frequency changing.) So both RCA and GE preferred the triode pentode combination for AM frequency changing.

The German receivers all predated the availability of the ECC85 (later 1953, from Telefunken, I think.) Braun used an ECH42 frequency changer on both AM and FM, with an EF80 RF amplifier on FM only. Lowe Opta did similarly but with an ECH81 instead of the ECH42. Mende used an EF85 RF amplifier on FM only, then employed an ECH81 in a manner included in the original Philips information. That is, it was a regular frequency changer on AM, but on FM, the triode was used as an autodyne, with the heptode as 1st IF (presumably pentode-strapped). The next valve was also an ECH81, the heptode as IF amplifier on both bands (again, presumably pentode-strapped), the triode as an extra AF amplifier on AM (again something included in the original Philips notes.) Grundig used an ECH42 frequency changer without RF amplifier on all bands.

My guess is that an appropriate RF amplifier ahead of a hexode/heptode mixer was acceptable for FM reception in reasonably strong signal areas. But without the RF amplifier, it might have been rather grim.

The BBC (Spencer) simple FM receiver (Wireless World 1951 October & November) used a triode heptode frequency changer, initially an Osram X81, but later an X79 (which was said to be suitable for use up to 100 MHz). It had a Mazda 6F12 (= Z77, EF91) RF amplifier. Evidently the same basic circuit was adopted by Lowther for its first FM tuner (1953), but with different valves. The RF amplifier was a Brimar 6BW7 (perhaps directionally better than an EF80), the frequency changer was a Brimar 12AH8. The IF amplifier an EF80, and the limiter an EF42. A reasonable deduction is that the valves were chosen to extract the maximum performance from the basic circuit. Re the 12AH8, it was probably better described as being the best of a not-so-good bunch where FM was concerned. I did read somewhere (that I can no longer trace) that Brimar had traded off conversion gain for higher input resistance. That at least would explain the conversion gain of around 0.5 mA/V at a time when the “going rate” was around 0.75 mA/V (X79, ECH81, etc.)

I suppose something to bear in mind that lowest possible noise was not always the goal with domestic receiver FM front ends, which would explain why some setmakers, like GE, preferred pentode over triode RF amplifiers until the end. A tuned input (itself with a noise debit) was easier with a pentode. The best answer was probably the cascode, but that was mostly reserved for better performance FM tuners in the USA, and quite rare in European FM practice. In the bipolar era, there was an RCA paper noting that a bandpass tuned input (four-gang circuit) gave noticeably improved spurious response rejection as opposed to a single-tuned input (three-gang circuit), but at the expense of 4 dB on the quieting curve (early part thereof), considered to be a worthwhile tradeoff.

Cheers,
Old 15th Jan 2022, 12:32 pm   #43
FERNSEH
Dekatron

From the September 1952 Wireless World.
Part 1 of the construction of a three valve FM feeder unit.
Receiver is designed to cover the VHF broadcast band 87.5 to 100Mc/s.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WW_FM_Tuner_Sept_1952.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	249697   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW_FM_Tuner_Sept_1952_cct.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	249698  
Old 15th Jan 2022, 12:50 pm   #44
regenfreak
Heptode

Quote:
f you haven’t already seen it, BBC Research Report 1953-02 of 1953 January provides some information American and German FM/AM receivers of the time. It is available at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/rdreport_1953_02.
Thanks. Very interesting paper. There were three ways of standardized sensitivity comparison in the paper. 6BJ6 and 6CB6 have rather poor sensitivity compared with later VHF double triode successors.

Quote:
I suppose something to bear in mind that lowest possible noise was not always the goal with domestic receiver FM front ends, which would explain why some setmakers, like GE, preferred pentode over triode RF amplifiers until the end. A tuned input (itself with a noise debit) was easier with a pentode. The best answer was probably the cascode, but that was mostly reserved for better performance FM tuners in the USA, and quite rare in European FM practice. In the bipolar era, there was an RCA paper noting that a bandpass tuned input (four-gang circuit) gave noticeably improved spurious response rejection as opposed to a single-tuned input (three-gang circuit), but at the expense of 4 dB on the quieting curve (early part thereof), considered to be a worthwhile tradeoff.
I would love to read the RCA paper. In USA, FM stations are very crowded. 4 to 8 gang tuners were in vogue within the higher-end market from 60 to 80s (Kenwood, Mcintosh, Sherwood,Marantz, Scott). Higher tuning gang count was considered to be unique selling points for the audiophiles. Quite often better adjacent channel selectivity and image rejection is more important than sensitivity in urban areas. Each tuned bandpass stage introduces insertion losses and have to be compensated by additional RF stages, adding more noises.

Having double-tuned bandpass filiter with steep skirts of the response curve in the RF front end helps to filter out the spurious signals (intermodulation products). I have often seen the bandpass filters introduced in the mixer stage instead of the front end. It seems it is desirable not to have too much RF gain before it goes to the mixer, as the higher the gain, the more the Intermodulation products the mixer creates. Too much RF gain in the front end would introduce more Intermodulation junks or worst IP3 for closely spaced stations.

Quote:
Re the 12AH8, it was probably better described as being the best of a not-so-good bunch where FM was concerned. I did read somewhere (that I can no longer trace) that Brimar had traded off conversion gain for higher input resistance. That at least would explain the conversion gain of around 0.5 mA/V at a time when the “going rate” was around 0.75 mA/V (X79, ECH81, etc.)
The Brimar 12AH8 datasheet is excellent. It did mention that 12AH8 was too noisy to be applicable for narrow band FM communication receivers.

PS Attached photo is the Telefunken NT2 that I got last week. It is NOS in a factory box and working well. it has a bandpass filter in the mixer stage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Telefunken NT-2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	249702   Click image for larger version

Name:	telefunken NT-2B.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	249703  

Last edited by regenfreak; 15th Jan 2022 at 1:04 pm.
Old 15th Jan 2022, 12:51 pm   #45
regenfreak
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
From the September 1952 Wireless World.
Part 1 of the construction of a three valve FM feeder unit.
Receiver is designed to cover the VHF broadcast band 87.5 to 100Mc/s.

DFWB.
Thanks
Old 15th Jan 2022, 1:49 pm   #46
regenfreak
Heptode

Quote:
6BJ6 and 6CB6 have rather poor sensitivity compared with later VHF double triode successors.
correction: I meant "receivers with" 6BJ6 and 6CB6 as RF amp have rather poor sensitivity compared with later VHF double triode successors. It is difficult to interpret those numbers..there are different ways of quantifying sensitivity of a receiver.
Old 16th Jan 2022, 11:22 pm   #47
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by regenfreak View Post
Having double-tuned bandpass filiter with steep skirts of the response curve in the RF front end helps to filter out the spurious signals (intermodulation products). I have often seen the bandpass filters introduced in the mixer stage instead of the front end. It seems it is desirable not to have too much RF gain before it goes to the mixer, as the higher the gain, the more the Intermodulation products the mixer creates. Too much RF gain in the front end would introduce more Intermodulation junks or worst IP3 for closely spaced stations.
With dual-gate mosfet devices, a single-tuned input with a bandpass interstage seemed to be the norm, the Recox A76 being an early example. Presumably this provided a reasonable trade-off between noise and spurious responses. With bipolar devices, which were not so good on the spurious response front, a bandpass input with single-tuned interstage seemed to be better, at least according to RCA. Nonetheless, Dormer & Wadsworth did it that way with dual-gate mosfets, perhaps simply because it carried over its bipolar practice. (See: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=157235.)

Quote:
In USA, FM stations are very crowded. 4 to 8 gang tuners were in vogue within the higher-end market from 60 to 80s (Kenwood, Mcintosh, Sherwood,Marantz, Scott). Higher tuning gang count was considered to be unique selling points for the audiophiles. Quite often better adjacent channel selectivity and image rejection is more important than sensitivity in urban areas. Each tuned bandpass stage introduces insertion losses and have to be compensated by additional RF stages, adding more noises.
When I was living in Dallas, TX, where just about every FM channel was occupied, I used a Carver TX-11a, which at the time of its release was noted for having very good selectivity. This had a single-tuned input with a quadruple-tuned bandpass interstage. Carver evidently resisted the temptation to separate the quadruple interstage into two double-tuned stages by adding a 2nd RF stage, perhaps because it thought that would overdo it on RF gain. Later I also used a Quad FM66, which was at least as good as the Carver. I forget how many gangs it had, but as I recall it did use the National LM1865 FM IF IC, one of whose innovations was a dual-threshold RF AGC system. (Described in the LM1865 application note and also in IEEE and SAE papers.)

Returning to single-valve front ends, this is from a 1961 Zenith paper on stereo receiver circuitry:

“Let us look at the RF tuner portion of this receiver. In Figure 1 we see a photograph of the complete tuner. This is a newly developed three gang permeability tuner featuring low noise reception with improved sensitivity.

“Figure 2 contains the circuitry used in the tuner. A newly developed 6JK8 double triode tube is used utilizing frame grid construction for the RF section and a conventional triode for the autodyne converter section. Average noise figures for these tuners in production are 7Db measured in accordance with the IHFM standards. Image rejection ratios of 45Db are obtained.”

That does suggest that Zenith had a hand in development of the 6JK8. Also, three gangs (including a tuned input) with a single-valve front end was unusual. But Zenith dropped back to two gangs, still using the 6JK8, for the production MJ1035.

Quote:
Note the prevalence of 12AT and 12DT8; I believe they are very similar except 12DT8 has an isolating earthed screen between triode sections.
Thanks! I had missed that connection between the 12AT7 and the 12DT8. But the data sheets certainly demonstrate that it was so. In particular the American setmakers probably wanted a double triode with a 12 V, 150 mA heater for AC-DC receivers. The 12AT7, although designed for use as a mixer-oscillator, had been used as a single-valve front end, although not ideal because of backward oscillator leakage. So simply adding a screen solved the problem, although the pinout required meant that the split heater of the 12AT7 had to be abandoned. There was a precedent for this. GE’s 6BK7 double triode intended for cascode TV RF amplifier applications was essentially the existing 12AV7 with the addition of a screen. The 12AV7 was more-or-less a “beefed-up” 12AT7 for TV frequency changer applications, although it was quickly superseded by the triode pentode in this role (for which GE adopted the Tung-Sol 6U8 rather than rolling its own). The ECC85, which looks to have been largely an ab initio design, was also used in American practice as the 6AQ8.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
From the GFGF article.
The response curve of the FM demodulator.
The choice of the received swing frequency recommended by R.Cantz was 20 to 50Khz.

DFWB.
This is new to me. I got used to seeing S-curves in FM frequency sweep
That looks like a slope detector curve. It was a form that periodically made a reappearance, followed by a quick exit as its basically unsatisfactory nature was rediscovered. (Philips/Mullard with the TAA350 IC was probably one of the later examples.) The RCA differential peak detector of the late 1960s actually used both sides of the peak, measuring the difference between the sides, which evidently made it somewhat more linear than the conventional form.

Cheers,
Old 17th Jan 2022, 1:03 pm   #48
regenfreak
Heptode

Many thanks!

Quote:
When I was living in Dallas, TX, where just about every FM channel was occupied, I used a Carver TX-11a, which at the time of its release was noted for having very good selectivity. This had a single-tuned input with a quadruple-tuned bandpass interstage. Carver evidently resisted the temptation to separate the quadruple interstage into two double-tuned stages by adding a 2nd RF stage, perhaps because it thought that would overdo it on RF gain. Later I also used a Quad FM66, which was at least as good as the Carver. I forget how many gangs it had, but as I recall it did use the National LM1865 FM IF IC, one of whose innovations was a dual-threshold RF AGC system. (Described in the LM1865 application note and also in IEEE and SAE papers.)

This is a very interesting design concept with 4-pole varactor tuned filter as shown in attachment 1!

I have been experimenting with DIY 5-gang varactor FM tuner with 2-pole filter at the front end using a passive double-balance SBL-1 ring-mixer. The attachment 2 is my work in progress. It uses 6AK5 pentode as front end RF amp, ECC88 in cascode 2nd tuned RF, ECF80 as mixer and oscillator. I have encountered tracking and oscillator instability issues (sensitive to L/C ratio) as varicap is highly non-linear and lower Q than air gangs.

Quote:
With dual-gate mosfet devices, a single-tuned input with a bandpass interstage seemed to be the norm, the Recox A76 being an early example. Presumably this provided a reasonable trade-off between noise and spurious responses. With bipolar devices, which were not so good on the spurious response front, a bandpass input with single-tuned interstage seemed to be better, at least according to RCA. Nonetheless, Dormer & Wadsworth did it that way with dual-gate mosfets, perhaps simply because it carried over its bipolar practice. (See: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=157235.)

Quote:
Attachment 3 is the heavy beast Sony CRF-230 that uses unusual double-tuned input. . It uses 5 -gang (2x RF, x x 1st IF, 2nd oscillation) with dual FM band 64-108MHz and dual conversion. Note the quirky 2-pole RF frond end using capcitive coupling network.

Quote:
Let us look at the RF tuner portion of this receiver. In Figure 1 we see a photograph of the complete tuner. This is a newly developed three gang permeability tuner featuring low noise reception with improved sensitivity.

“Figure 2 contains the circuitry used in the tuner. A newly developed 6JK8 double triode tube is used utilizing frame grid construction for the RF section and a conventional triode for the autodyne converter section. Average noise figures for these tuners in production are 7Db measured in accordance with the IHFM standards. Image rejection ratios of 45Db are obtained.”
Attachment 4 is a German 3-gang permeability tuned one-valve autodyne.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carver-tx-11a.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	249835   Click image for larger version

Name:	ring-mixer.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	249840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony CRF-230.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	249841   Click image for larger version

Name:	r-sabatun.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	249842  
Old 17th Jan 2022, 10:41 pm   #49
regenfreak
Heptode

I have found these two unknown tuners in my storage box.

The two-valve tuner looks the same as this Russian Hi-Fi system with turntable:

https://youtu.be/sOCQbp49DTQ

The Youtube algorithm has recommended me to watch this video by pure coincidence. I was searching for its ID last week! In the video it shows the schematic. It uses 6N3 double triode in cascode which I have lots of experience with homebrewing FM tuners with it. The closet European counterpart would be ECC85. After the World War II, the US transferred lots of RCA valve technology to the USSR. So the russian radios were heavily influenced by the American designs. This tuner could be a clone of a Western design, I a not sure.

The one-valve autodyne has Gorler and US patent number markings on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s1.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	249899   Click image for larger version

Name:	s2.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	249900   Click image for larger version

Name:	s3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	249902   Click image for larger version

Name:	s5.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	249911  

Last edited by regenfreak; 17th Jan 2022 at 10:53 pm.
Old 1st Feb 2022, 11:10 pm   #50
Synchrodyne
Nonode

[QUOTE=regenfreak;1441413]Attachment 3 is the heavy beast Sony CRF-230 that uses unusual double-tuned input. . It uses 5 -gang (2x RF, x x 1st IF, 2nd oscillation) with dual FM band 64-108MHz and dual conversion. Note the quirky 2-pole RF frond end using capcitive coupling network./QUOTE]

The Sony CRF-230 also appear to be unusual in having a bipolar cascode RF amplifier. At least I am not aware that this configuration was widely used. The bipolar cascode was sometimes found in TV IF amplifiers, and as a mixer in some American VHF TV tuners. (RCA used it following a Nuvistor RF amplifier, later using a dual-gate mosfet RF amplifier.)

On the other hand, the jfet cascode was used as an FM RF amplifier in the interval between the bipolar era and the advent of dual protected gate mosfets. (And I think Heathkit stayed with that arrangement well into the 1970s.) The dual-gate mosfet RF amplifier was inherently a cascode. When used as an FM mixer, the typical arrangement was what might be called a “half-cascode”, in that it was a cascode to the signal input on g1, but not to the oscillator input on g2. (VHF TV applications used a full cascode, with oscillator and signal both on g1 to avoid the low-Band I channel regeneration issue, and in the early days, TI suggested the same for FM.) Valve cascode RF amplifiers were also used for FM, soon after their adoption for VHF TV, in both series and shunt forms, and with both “regular” and frame-grid valves. Returning to solid-sate, the mixed cascode of singe-gate mosfet and jfet was also known, see attachment. The single-gate mosfet seemed to have not so many applications, although well-know is Leak’s use of such, solo, as the RF amplifier in its Stereofetic FM tuner. I wonder if that choice was simply a case of where it chose to get off the RCA bus. RCA had moved to mosfets in stages in its published FM front-end circuitry: from all bipolar to single-gate mosfet RF with bipolar mixer; to single-gate mosfets in both positions; to single-gate mosfet RF and dual-gate mosfet mixer; to dual-gate mosfets in both positions.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Earl T & A p.34.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	250896  
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 12:46 am   #51
regenfreak
Heptode

Quote:
RCA had moved to mosfets in stages in its published FM front-end circuitry: from all bipolar to single-gate mosfet RF with bipolar mixer; to single-gate mosfets in both positions; to single-gate mosfet RF and dual-gate mosfet mixer; to dual-gate mosfets in both positions.
Thanks. Attached is a 8-gang Technics ST9030 high-end tuner; 3 double-tuned LC filters with 2 dual-gate FETs, 1 tuned oscillator and 1 tuned oscillator buffer. I guess the push-pull balance double dual-gate FET mixer requires high input signal? Note the first, second and third tuned bandpass filters have fairly wide bandwidth. The overall response would give very steep skirts.

In the 2nd attachment, it is the response curves of three bandpass for a german car radio of unknown model that I found on internet.

PS I am not familiar with TV tuners but this page gives very good historical overview of their evolution in designs. It talks about noise figure as well

https://www.maximus-randd.com/tv-tuner-history-pt2.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	technics ST9030.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	250897   Click image for larger version

Name:	FmTunerBlockDiag_WF2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	250898  

Last edited by regenfreak; 2nd Feb 2022 at 1:01 am.
Old 8th Feb 2022, 2:05 am   #52
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Something of a surprise find was an RCA circuit for a cascode Nuvistor front end, attached. This was in the RCA 1964 Receiving Tube manual, RC-23.

When the Nuvistor was introduced, RCA used a single 6CW4 as the RF amplifier in a VHF TV front end, claiming that it gave superior overall performance to other forms, including the frame-grid cascode, shielded grid triode (including the frame-grid variant) and low-screen-current tetrode. (See RCA Engineer 1960 August, September p.28ff.) Thus a cascode Nuvistor seems almost “over-the-top”. Whether it was used in a production tuner I do not know. But I recall that the single-Nuvistor RF amplifier was used by one or other of the US tuner makers, perhaps Scott.

At the other end of the spectrum was another RCA FM tuner circuit, which remained in its Receiving Tube Manuals at least until the 1961 edition, RC-21. With its 6BE6 mixer, albeit externally excited, it looks like a relic from the 1940s. The 6BJ6 dated from late 1946. And if we assume – reasonably I think – that RCA would have used the 6BA7 as mixer once it became available during 1948, then that puts it at around 1947. And from c.1952, RCA’s “norm” seemed to be a 6CB6 RF amplifier with a 6X8 frequency changer. The 6BJ6 was an interesting valve. It was derived from the 6BA6, but with some “tweaking” the heater requirement was halved, to 150 mA, and the VHF (100 MHz) performance was significantly improved. In part it was aimed at the then emerging VHF mobile market, where low power consumption was an attribute. But its heater characteristics also meant that the same valve could be used in both 6.3-volt and 150 mA series-string circuits. And in the latter case, its low voltage requirement (as compared with the 12.6 V or more required for most 150 mA valves) was an asset in American AC-DC AM-FM receivers, where typically seven valves had to be fitted into the available 117 volts.

The GE FM tuner circuit is from its Essential Characteristics tube data book, the latter undated but I’d say that the circuit was from the early-to-mid 1950s. (The 6BZ7 cascode valve dates from 1952.) It was probably reasonably representative of cascode FM RF amplifier practice of the period.

The GE AC-DC AM-FM receiver circuit was also reasonably representative of lower-level American practice before the single-valve front end arrived, with a 6BJ6 RF amplifier and a 12AT7 mixer-oscillator.

Cheers,
Old 8th Feb 2022, 9:08 pm   #53
regenfreak
Heptode

Quote:
Something of a surprise find was an RCA circuit for a cascode Nuvistor front end, attached. This was in the RCA 1964 Receiving Tube manual, RC-23.

When the Nuvistor was introduced, RCA used a single 6CW4 as the RF amplifier in a VHF TV front end, claiming that it gave superior overall performance to other forms, including the frame-grid cascode, shielded grid triode (including the frame-grid variant) and low-screen-current tetrode. (See RCA Engineer 1960 August, September p.28ff.) Thus a cascode Nuvistor seems almost “over-the-top”. Whether it was used in a production tuner I do not know. But I recall that the single-Nuvistor RF amplifier was used by one or other of the US tuner makers, perhaps Scott.
Thanks. Cascode with two Nuvistors can be found in a few American and Japanese tuners (Kenwood, Sansui, Lansing). Sometimes a single Nuvistor is paired with a different type of triode (ECC85 or 12AT6 as ground grid ) in top cascode triode (Mcintosh, Kenwood, Citation III-X) . I tried this combination in my homebrew FM tuner with nuvistor and ECC85. I have attached the Kenwood using this combo. I guess they tried to save money as nuvistors were expensive.
I do not know if nuvistor cascode is way more superior than framegrid ECC88. But ECC88 has higher noise figure with Rn = 300 ohms. In RCA Engineer 1960 August, September, It compared Rn of 6CW4 (=181 ohms) with 6ER5 and 6FH5 which i never heard of. Surely ECC85 cascode can be found in some tuners and they are not as good as nuvistor in cascode. But ECC88 and 6BS8 were designed to be used in cascode. I believe 6BZ7 is not the same 6SB8. I tried replacing ECC85 with 6SB6 in my homebrew as ocillator, its output is more uniform across the frequency range.

Quote:
ith its 6BE6 mixer, albeit externally excited, it looks like a relic from the 1940s. The 6BJ6 dated from late 1946. And if we assume – reasonably I think – that RCA would have used the 6BA7 as mixer once it became available during 1948, then that puts it at around 1947. And from c.1952, RCA’s “norm” seemed to be a 6CB6 RF amplifier with a 6X8 frequency changer. The 6BJ6 was an interesting valve. It was derived from the 6BA6, but with some “tweaking” the heater requirement was halved, to 150 mA, and the VHF (100 MHz) performance was significantly improved. In part it was aimed at the then emerging VHF mobile market, where low power consumption was an attribute. But its heater characteristics also meant that the same valve could be used in both 6.3-volt and 150 mA series-string circuits. And in the latter case, its low voltage requirement (as compared with the 12.6 V or more required for most 150 mA valves) was an asset in American AC-DC AM-FM receivers, where typically seven valves had to be fitted into the available 117 volts.
6BE6 was used in millions of AA5. RCA was pushing it by claiming it could perform well above 100MHz. 6BA7 was expensive so therefore it was not popular among manufacturers. It was used with 6BJ6 RF amp in Emerson early FM radios. Without the 6BJ6 RF amp, the front end with pentagrid 6BA7 alone could be very deaf in the absence of an external antenna. 6BA6 were universally used as variable mu IF amp for most FM receivers. Sometimes, 6BA6 was used to replace sharp cut-off 6au6 in the limiter stage in receivers with ratio detectors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kenwood tk80 nurtistor version.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	251458  

Last edited by regenfreak; 8th Feb 2022 at 9:38 pm.
Old 25th Mar 2022, 3:37 am   #54
Synchrodyne
Nonode

A 1953 September Radio-Electronics article on cascode fronts ends (for TV and FM) included (incorrectly, I think) one FM front end that in fact used a pair of grounded grid stages in cascade. Probably because it was included in the cascode groups, there was no commentary as to how it compared with the regular series cascode circuit.

Name:	RE 195309 p.58.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	254056

Nonetheless, the double grounded grid RF amplifier did turn up again, in a 1957 RCA circuit for a VHF TV tuner with constant input impedance.

Name:	RCA Constant Impedance RF Amplifier.png
Views:	34
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	254057

It does not seem to have had much influence on actual VHF TV tuner practice, though. Soon after, there was a move to the use of specialized single triodes rather than cascode double triodes as RF amplifiers, to some extent on the basis that the cost decrement so obtained was bigger than the performance decrement – the old “nearly as good” premise.

Cheers,
Old 25th Mar 2022, 8:17 pm   #55
regenfreak
Heptode

Quote:
A 1953 September Radio-Electronics article on cascode fronts ends (for TV and FM) included (incorrectly, I think) one FM front end that in fact used a pair of grounded grid stages in cascade. Probably because it was included in the cascode groups, there was no commentary as to how it compared with the regular series cascode circuit.
I saw that too. It was an oddball design! Strictly speaking it is cascade and not cascode.

In the other thread (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...88#post1458288 ) , i was going to use a pair of 6cw4 in cascode because of the much lower noise figure (see attachments). But 6cw4 are too pricy. So I ordered four Soviet military spec 6s52n-v from Ukraine in January, They are supposed to be identical to 6Cw4. Then I changed my mind again, opting for more simple construction and replaced two nuvistors by one E88CC in cascode.

The Marantz 10B uses two-stage cascade EC88 single triodes (not the same as E88CC or ECC88) amps with grounded grids (see attachment). Although it has 8-gang air capacitors, effectively the 10B has 3-tuned pi-networks cascade Rf amp to compensate the insertion loss of the passive ring mixer. (All of the Marantz design team members did not have a university degree in electrical or electronics engineering.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6cw4=6s52n-v.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	254079   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuvistor noise factor.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	254080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marantz 10B cascade amp.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	254083  

Last edited by regenfreak; 25th Mar 2022 at 8:30 pm.
Closed Thread