UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2022, 4:42 pm   #1
Damo666
Hexode

Default Re-capping a Kenwood TS-850S

I'm in the process of re-capping a 1990s Kenwood TS-850S Transceiver that's notorious for leaking Capacitor's.

I'm about to re-cap the Electrolytic Capacitor's on the display board, the IF board at the AF PA stage, and also the power supply stage as per the attached image.

Can anybody please suggest what Capacitor's to buy, as there is an overwhelming range available from various sources with spec's that are confusing to me (apart from dimensions, tolerance, temperature, etc').

Here is a link to the various modules in the TS-850S that encounter the leaking components - https://jvgavila.com/wb7.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220110_153114.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	249455  
Old 10th Jan 2022, 5:06 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Re-capping a Kenwood TS-850S

A year or two ago, there was a useful thread on here about recapping a TS530 if you can find that.

B
Old 11th Jan 2022, 2:58 am   #3
Damo666
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
A year or two ago, there was a useful thread on here about recapping a TS530 if you can find that.

B
Thank you for the reply.

I'll have a search & see if I can find it.
Old 11th Jan 2022, 3:25 am   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Ah, I'm sorry but I read 830 for 850; a 'Senior Moment'

The 520 through to the 830 series all have a lot in common (they are hybrid) but I think the 850 may be a totally different animal?

B
Old 11th Jan 2022, 9:19 am   #5
Damo666
Hexode

I managed to find the thread, but like you say, the TS-530 is a totally different animal.

The TS-850S, although quite old, is much more modern & operates from 13.8VDC.
Old 11th Jan 2022, 3:27 pm   #6
WB6NVH-GEOFF
Tetrode

I am not aware of what is conveniently available in the UK but here in the USA, when I worked at a service center for these in the 1980's, we used Panasonic, Nichicon or TDK brand capacitors rated at 105 Degrees C. Those should all be the same or smaller size than the originals. You should note that not all originals will be leakers or be dried up. Changing them all was a luxury our customers would not pay for, so we used an ESR meter to find the bad ones and let it go at that. It helps to have a vacuum desoldering station and a lot of patience. Be careful not to insert any backwards and watch for solder bridges.
Old 11th Jan 2022, 8:43 pm   #7
Sparky67
Heptode

One seller - bijkker - on eBay is selling a kit of 127 caps for the TS850S, advertised as Panasonic or Nichicon make and 105°C rated. Useful to get them all in one place and looks to be a fair price too. I recapped an Icom 7000 PSU with similar caps recently and they worked perfectly.

Martin
G4NCE
Old 11th Jan 2022, 8:52 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Panasonic, Nichicon are good, so are Rubycon.

Beware though that there's brands called "Rulycon" and 'Rukycon' who are parasitising the good name of Rubycon in order to sell inferior capacitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9E-CXVFQ0M

and https://badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34031
Old 11th Jan 2022, 9:53 pm   #9
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

I recapped a TS440S not too long ago, if similar, be aware of the VCO tantalum 0.47 uF decoupling caps!
They will make the VCO intermittently go haywire for a few seconds every so often, so hard to track down, just nasty ol' tants doing what they do best of course!
Old 12th Jan 2022, 2:37 am   #10
Damo666
Hexode

After further reading around, I've decided to go with Panasonic FC range; they're 105oC, middle of the road price wise, and seem to be a popular choice.

Many thanks for the replies, guys.
Old 12th Jan 2022, 2:45 am   #11
Damo666
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky67 View Post
One seller - bijkker - on eBay is selling a kit of 127 caps for the TS850S, advertised as Panasonic or Nichicon make and 105°C rated. Useful to get them all in one place and looks to be a fair price too. I recapped an Icom 7000 PSU with similar caps recently and they worked perfectly.

Martin
G4NCE
Thank you for the heads up.

There only seems to be 3 places in the TS-850S that are renowned for leaky Capacitor's & related issues as a result, and these are the display board, IF board AF PA stage, and carrier board.

It seems Kenwood purchased a load of bad Capacitor's way back, and the models starting with serial numbers 2xxxxxx & 3xxxxxx were the ones affected. Following serial numbers weren't affected by this problem.

I ended up buying about a dozen Capacitor's from CPC in addition to a few other bits 'n bobs.
Closed Thread