UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2021, 12:51 am   #1
joebog1
Banned

Default Double sided tape

I don't know that its available in UK ( its from the local "Chinese shop ) But I bought some of this tape to try and I must recommend it. Its extremely aggressive, and with patience is removable. Its not cheap ( $30 for 3 off 3 metre rolls ) but it is as good as the 3M hook and loop I have been using which costs 3 times as much. It needs SHARP scissors to cut!!! I tried a razor blade and that is a total waste of time. It seems to be clear silicone rubber that is extremely flexible and stretchable to fit almost any surface. It comes with the very necessary isolation tape between layers.

I have nothing to do with the company!! but this is a product everybody needs. Beats Araldite hands down, and is instantly dry.

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tape.pdf (771.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: pdf Instructions.pdf (512.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 12th Dec 2021, 11:52 am   #2
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Double sided tape

I used something similar last Christmas to attach a Seasonal Picture to a door.

It took me the whole of the rest off the year to remove it again, with the careful assistance of hair dryer, knives and scraper!

Martin
Old 12th Dec 2021, 12:10 pm   #3
wireman
Heptode

Looks interesting.

The internet is failing me though, a search for "3M Nano tape" is not giving me what I want so I don't know if a company that I have heard of sells this stuff.
Old 12th Dec 2021, 12:12 pm   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

Try 'Alien Tape'.

Alan
Old 12th Dec 2021, 12:19 pm   #5

Is this the stuff with Gecko type foot pad "hairs"?

Old 12th Dec 2021, 4:15 pm   #6
wireman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Is this the stuff with Gecko type foot pad "hairs"?
I think that's the inspiration, been around for a decade or more, sold under a few brands but most of the nano tape manufacturing seems to be in China.

Here is a reference from some time ago...

https://www.technologyreview.com/200...icky-nanotape/
Old 12th Dec 2021, 5:04 pm   #7

Thanks, I saw it on one of Mark Miodowniks TV programmes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Miodownik

Old 12th Dec 2021, 5:53 pm   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Double sided tape

Double-sided sticky tape is something I rarely use. When a need arises - such as mentioned in post #2 - I use ordinary sticky tape made into a small loop with its sticky side on the outside of that loop. Then stick that loop to the vertical surface - such as door, for example - and stick the card (or whatever) to the loop.
For removal, much easier to remove than D.S. sticky tape.

Al. / Dec. 12th.
Old 12th Dec 2021, 10:06 pm   #9
joebog1
Banned

I had different uses in mind rather than a card on the door. I used it to "stick" my UHF radio under the dash in my 4WD and its been there a few years and I go some pretty rough places. Its never fallen off. Nor the microphone from the verticle front of the dash, and its only a patch about 30mm square.

Because its reusable I have tried it in my travelling alarm clock to hold in the battery ( its electronic, what else ? ) Its also never moved. Batteries are in most cases hard surfaced, rather than old fashioned cardboard tubes, ( or a christmas card ) and it is quite easy to remove an AA battery from a clock. It is strong enough and I think reliable enough to hold a small transformer inside say, a battery radio to make a mains adaptor without drilling holes in the radio ( Tacky idea ).

Anyway, I think its pretty good stuff, and like me, you will find lots of uses for it.

Joe
Old 13th Dec 2021, 12:04 am   #10
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
Its not cheap ( $30 for 3 off 3 metre rolls ) Joe

Cheaper than they were advertising it for on one of those really annoying TV ads though.
Closed Thread