UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2019, 8:25 pm   #21
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: I got it!! Zenith 6S254 console.

There is enough room inside that cabinet for a Frame Aerial or a ferrite rod aerial.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 11:19 pm   #22
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
It's interesting to see the relatively rare, high-sensitivity, 6F6 used in this circuit as opposed to the more usual 6V6 - but I'm sure Zenith had their reasons.

gm for the 6V6 is higher than for the 6F6 (around 3.7 rather than 2.5 mA/V). Doesn't that make the 6V6 the more sensitive type?

Though since apparently the 6V6 didn't exist yet the 6F6 makes sense anyway.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 5:07 pm   #23
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
It's interesting to see the relatively rare, high-sensitivity, 6F6 used in this circuit as opposed to the more usual 6V6 - but I'm sure Zenith had their reasons.
I think the OP may have a longish journey ahead before he needs to worry about aerials (and earths).
As long as the O/P is having the set totally restored, I would seriously consider replacing the mains transformer. It's probably about the same cost as a step-down transformer or a little more and the original one is probably running on borrowed time.
Regarding the 6V6 valve, it had to be used in US built equipment for over 30 years. A popular one indeed!
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 5:40 pm   #24
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

As far as I can tell from reading the excellent book by Martin Blenkenship 'Zenith The Glory Years' it seems that the set is from 1938 as this form of Shutter Dial was only used on 1938 models.

All the large Zenith sets I have seen use a 6F6G or 6F6GT as the 6V6 valve was not as powerful.

Regards
Trevor.
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 3:22 am   #25
usradcoll1
Heptode

I hate to be too disagreeable but the set shown is not a shutter dial, but it is referred to by the Zenith collectors as a "Tear drop dial". It is a late 1935 or 1936 model year, at the latest.

IIRC, the single ended output valve models used 6F6's, where the sets that used push-pull or parallel push-pull used 6V6's, 37 or newer models. The 12 tube models used two and the 15 tube models used four.
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 11:26 am   #26
Hoveradio
Pentode

Well, Radio Museum call it a 1938 model and from my experience this is correct as the numeral 2 denotes 1938. 1937 having a 1, 1939 being 3 etc.

John(Zenith Collector)
Old 24th Mar 2019, 10:10 am   #27
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
As long as the O/P is having the set totally restored, I would seriously consider replacing the mains transformer. It's probably about the same cost as a step-down transformer or a little more and the original one is probably running on borrowed time.
A very wise suggestion. If the original transformer is still fitted, it will be designed for 60 c/s mains, so would not be entirely happy on a 50 c/s supply. Tony.
Old 25th Mar 2019, 12:16 pm   #28
Julianh
Triode

I have a few american devices, the I bought a special adapter that converts the 240-120 and 50 to 60 hz, although the transformer needs upgrading anyway. Well I always it did the HZ, not so sure now.

I wonder if it's worth buying another for it, What wattage do you think I'd need, the closes I can find is something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSKJ-220V-1...-2-spons&psc=1

But it only seems to be a step down transformer in which case I may as well use a beefier transformer the gives me the resultant voltages. it's the 50/60 HZ thats the issue to me. I can't see if the product above does the HZ conversion. Any thought anyone?

Thanks

Julian
Old 25th Mar 2019, 2:21 pm   #29
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

It won't do 50Hz to 60Hz and it's probably an auto-transformer so unsafe for vintage equipment.
If the transformer runs cool on 110V 50Hz, then it's big enough. It's only a problem running a transformer at 50Hz rather than 60Hz if it's a very tight rating. The reverse isn't ever a problem.
Obviously anything with a 60Hz synchronous AC motor will run slow on 50Hz, such as a turntable, clocks (including drum and flip types but not quartz or electrically actuated balance wheel types), mains tape motors, time switches, LED / VFD / LCD clocks that count mains instead of 32768 Hz crystal (most mains only clock radios even if a PP3 backup battery).
Closed Thread