UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2021, 10:04 pm   #1
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Default Clarion IC 55 PE-420

Hello,

one of my sons today has shown up with a Clarion IC 55 Eight Track Player he bought for one of his cars. The unit is in overall fair to nice shape let alone the fact the drive belt has disintegrated.

Not simply broken, but is has become little sticky pieces of ..., better not to talk about.

So my question is: Does anybody know the dimensions and routing of the belt? It is about 1/4" wide, and it may be about 10" or so in length? I have found some pix of the unit but not one showing it without upper lid so that one could see how the belt runs.

Any advice is appreciated!

Regards, Joe
Old 25th Jul 2021, 10:32 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Clarion IC 55 PE-420

Joe, would have thought just from the motor pulley to the flywheel.

The third photo in this link appears to show that.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/clario...stereo_pe.html

Do not know dimensions but just run a piece of cotton or string fairly snugly around and measure the overall length (circumference) then if required calculate the diameter.

David
Old 25th Jul 2021, 11:16 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The link above is for the PE-421A variant of the IC 55, not sure of the difference but would expect drive belt routing to be the same. The 420A is also on radiomuseum but no photo of belt.

David
Old 26th Jul 2021, 9:53 pm   #4
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Thank you, gentlemen! I will give it a try. I must admit I was puzzled by that white plastic bolt next to the flywheel.

Regards, Joe
Old 26th Jul 2021, 10:47 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes unsure what that maybe ?

David
Old 30th Jul 2021, 9:52 pm   #6
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Well, I said "flywheel", that's not correct. What I meant is the Capstan wheel and indeed, first hand I have no idea of the purpose of that white plastic bolt. Some closer inspection will tell.

Good news: The belt is running just plainly as shown in the PE-421A variant. Just have to find a fitting one. The one I fished off my secret drawers is too long.

Regards, Joe
Old 1st Aug 2021, 7:56 am   #7
llama
Octode

Some people report success having cut a too-long belt and splicing back together as a butt joint using superglue.
Graham