UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2021, 8:40 am   #1
Scotorvm
Pentode

Default Philips LFH 0085 pocket memo rubber repair help?

Hi Guy's

Was hoping a repair is possible on the rubber attached to the brass wheel in the picture? It has a small nick(s), during playback every revolution the drive shaft of the motor hits this nick and pauses, recovers and continues.

Not sure what this part is called.

Thanks.
Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210710_082241.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	237392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210710_082253.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	237393  
Old 10th Jul 2021, 10:44 am   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Philips LFH 0085 pocket memo rubber repair help?

I used to service the little 85's when they were still in use by offices in the 80's. Back then spares were no problem to source.

Perished rubber parts are an increasing problem especially when machined into special shapes and vulcanised onto a former like here. To avoid speed changes the rubber needs to be true at its outer diameter and in good condition.

Sometimes on rubber tyres I've been able to effect a temporary repair with silicone and the excess trimmed, but the old rubber may have gone hard as well.

If your aim is to playback important recordings it might be better looking for another minitape player whether portable or desktop. Philips made a range of them. I think the 85 was among the first of the minitape models.

In minitape machines I still have a working condition LFH 0086 and a LFH 0812, both desktop models with varispeed playback.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 10th Jul 2021 at 10:56 am.
Old 10th Jul 2021, 2:12 pm   #3
Scotorvm
Pentode

Default Re: Philips LFH 0085 pocket memo rubber repair help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
I used to service the little 85's when they were still in use by offices in the 80's. Back then spares were no problem to source.

Perished rubber parts are an increasing problem especially when machined into special shapes and vulcanised onto a former like here. To avoid speed changes the rubber needs to be true at its outer diameter and in good condition.

Sometimes on rubber tyres I've been able to effect a temporary repair with silicone and the excess trimmed, but the old rubber may have gone hard as well.

If your aim is to playback important recordings it might be better looking for another minitape player whether portable or desktop. Philips made a range of them. I think the 85 was among the first of the minitape models.

In minitape machines I still have a working condition LFH 0086 and a LFH 0812, both desktop models with varispeed playback.
Thanks Tim, I may try silicone on this or something similar, I don't intend to use for anything important, just like trying to repair

Cheers
Lee
Closed Thread