UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2020, 10:47 pm   #21
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Little and Large (Grundig portables)

Yes because of their non Hi-Fi spec I am not expecting much sound quality wise, just will be a bit of fun and something slightly different trying to get them to work.
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 5:16 pm   #22
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Have had a quick look inside Cub # 2. Overall good condition, motor drive belt to flywheel & chain drive belt intact and look useable.

Some of the battery contacts are in a very poor way, 2 of them are completely broken/eaten away due to battery leakage corrosion. During the testing/evaluation phase not going to worry about the battery contacts.

Will use a PSU to power the 6 volt motor power stage and use two AA batteries for the 3 volts amplifier power (in lieu of the original 3 volt Every Ready # 8 Duplex battery).

I have found a Sony 6 volt Lithium rechargeable battery, am wondering whether that would have enough capacity to drive the motor, although at the moment I have no idea what Sony device it is from and where the charger for it might be.

If I can get it running OK then will look at cleaning/repairing/replacing the battery contacts later as required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200403_162007915.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	202169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200403_165013028.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	202170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200403_164803323.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	202171  
Old 4th Apr 2020, 8:48 am   #23
radiotechnician
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I have no information on the TK2. My copy of the Grundig Book doesn't mention it.

It's always possible that the optional power supply had adaptors that fitted in place of the batteries and connected to the battery contacts. Like Philips did with the mains adaptor for the EL3585.
I have a service manual and a parts list (in German) for the
TK2 / TK4.

Same manual. Models differ in that the TK 4 has a record level meter,
and a built in mains power unit. The TK 2 uses a DM71, powered from
the bias oscillator. (like the TK1.)

The NIKI was the one we had here, looks like your Cub.

I spent a great deal of time repairing battery machines.

My 'division' looked after things technical.

An other 'division' catered to those who put them to use.

The strangest story that wafted back was the about client
wearing a Minifon P55, which made a ticking sound under his coat
when the wire broke.

NIKI TK1,2,4,6 . Any details I can provide. Ask.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grundig TK 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	202207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig TK 2  4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	202208  
Old 4th Apr 2020, 9:28 am   #24
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the information.

I have an original SAMS Photofact Folder for the Grundig Majestic Niki, as you say very similar to the Cub.

I have a copy of that German TK 2 / TK 4 Service manual and also an original copy of the TK 1 Service manual plus download copy of the TK 1 Repair manual, also have the 2 page TK 1 Servicing notes from the Radio & Television Servicing Manual.

Also have an original copy of the Cub Service manual.

Never seen any Grundig operating instructions/manuals (not that one needs anything really) apart from what is shown in "The Grundig Book". The Niki document does include operating info.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 4th Apr 2020 at 9:40 am. Reason: Update
Old 4th Apr 2020, 9:33 am   #25
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I had to Google to see what a Minifon P55 was, have no experience/knowledge of wire recorders.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 1:11 pm   #26
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Cub # 2 tape transport tested OK. Now need to figure out easy way to connect 2 x 1.5V batteries for the amplifier supply to be able to test Playback and Record. Cannot currently find any suitable battery holders and do not want to solder wires onto the batteries.

Cub # 1 in the background is much poorer condition, although its battery contacts are good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200404_125207981.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	202221  
Old 4th Apr 2020, 7:31 pm   #27
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Decided too difficult to repair the battery contacts for the row of 3 batteries, so removed all those contacts and later will replace with a 3 x D size plastic battery holder (for the 6V motor supply), the single D battery set of contacts being good. Plus later will also fit a 2 x AA battery box for the 3 volt amplifier supply. By measurements both boxes should just about fit in (fingers crossed).

For current testing of Playback and Record have borrowed the 2 X C size (referred to as Baby batteries in Grundig documentation) plastic battery holder from my TK 1, it is too deep to go in with the bottom panel fitted but will be OK for test purposes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200404_165244797.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	202249  
Old 6th Apr 2020, 10:56 am   #28
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Tested Playback using a 3" tape that came with one of the Grundig portables, sound was terrible. Tried the tape on another machine and still terrible so a bad tape/recording.

Tried another 3" tape on the Cub and got a much better playback but speed somewhat slow and noticeable hiss/hum at high volume setting, particularly noticeable when Stop (Pause) pressed.

Tried to connect one of my microphones (3 and 5 pin DIN) to do a fresh recording, then recheck playback, but found that the DIN socket connector on the Cub (and the other portables) is a 5 pin including a centre pin so not compatible.

One of the portables came with a tiny Grundig microphone, which I assume has this type of DIN plug but cannot locate it currently.

I may have a suitable DIN socket (in a box of DIN connectors) that I could connect to one of my microphones to, need to check.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200406_104039525.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	202327  
Closed Thread