UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2023, 1:16 pm   #1
inaxeon
Pentode

Default Building an original Philips pattern generator from scratch

Hey folks. Just thought I would share this one with the forum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqOodLWSI5g
Old 7th Jun 2023, 2:06 pm   #2
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: Building an original Philips pattern generator from scratch

That takes home construction to a new all-time high! what a fabulous outcome, I wonder how many man-hours it took!

David.
Old 7th Jun 2023, 2:40 pm   #3
Chris55000
Nonode

WOW!

The GitHub Repository is currently downloading at the moment and it's an enormous one – 2.80 GB and still climbing!

Five stars and Mega–kudos to this Danish chap who has so willingly shared it for us all to look at and enjoy – I think I'd need to win the (free!) ITV7 to afford to be able to build one of these boards described here!

Chris Williams

PS!

Just completed downloading – 4.86 GB!
Old 7th Jun 2023, 5:55 pm   #4
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Wow, all that just for a test pattern!!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 8th Jun 2023, 8:59 am   #5
inaxeon
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Engr View Post
That takes home construction to a new all-time high! what a fabulous outcome, I wonder how many man-hours it took!

David.
The actual build time was about 6 hours. Half the time it took to edit the video. But there is no denying it was a big project overall. I first started on the preparation 3 months ago and it has consumed the bulk of my spare time since then.
Old 9th Jun 2023, 10:26 am   #6
See_Mos
Hexode

WOW from me as well!
Old 9th Jun 2023, 10:31 am   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Strewth!
Old 11th Jun 2023, 7:26 am   #8
wd40addict
Octode

Amazing! Even more amazing that the data to do it has been open sourced. There's definitely a dark age from roughly the mid 90s on when proper service manuals and circuit diagrams became unavailable.

Companies like Keysight have no interest in releasing info on no longer supported kit from this era, they just want you to buy a new one. Obviously the Philips test gear business doesn't exist anymore so I wonder who had all the IP to release it and did they have to get approval from Fluke?

Last edited by wd40addict; 11th Jun 2023 at 7:32 am.
Old 11th Jun 2023, 8:55 am   #9
inaxeon
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
Amazing! Even more amazing that the data to do it has been open sourced. There's definitely a dark age from roughly the mid 90s on when proper service manuals and circuit diagrams became unavailable.

Companies like Keysight have no interest in releasing info on no longer supported kit from this era, they just want you to buy a new one. Obviously the Philips test gear business doesn't exist anymore so I wonder who had all the IP to release it and did they have to get approval from Fluke?
I sort-of outlined that in the opening of the video. No approval from Fluke needed. TV related Philips test equipment was split out of Fluke's portfolio in the mid 1990s and remained under the ownership of Philips. But then Philips sold everything they still had to a US based private equity company in 1998.

-some- of it (i.e. the more recent stuff) was bought up by DK-Audio A/S in 2001 when that US company decided to sell out. DK-Audio was recently wrapped up when its founder and CEO retired, and that is why it got open sourced. He owns 100% of the IP. He can do it.

But as for the rest, it is a mess. The engineering archives are (probably) held by ProTelevision Technologies Corp A/S (protelevision.com) but the IP is owned by Trescal. The whole lot of it was sold off them and in return they could collect any calibration/service revenue till all of the remaining kit died off. A shame and we'll probably not see anything more open sourced as a result of it.
Old 12th Jun 2023, 8:36 am   #10
greg_simons
Octode

Wow!, that takes a special kind of madness to attempt the replication of something so complex, very good result, I'm in genuine awe, i built the hedgehog mk2 but it kind of pales in comparison!.
Greg.
Old 15th Jun 2023, 11:42 pm   #11
Philips210
Nonode

What a splendid project and an incredible achievement!

Regards,
Symon
Closed Thread