UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2023, 8:51 am   #21
pmmunro
Octode

Angry Re: MoD Voltmeter - wiring arrangement?

Herald1360,

Thank you for pointing out and correcting my serious mistake - a bad slip of the brain. (Shame emoticon x 1000)

6SN7GT,

There's a good possibility that the fault with your meter is an open-circuit rectifier, especially if it's copper oxide or selenium. This can fairly easily be replaced, ideally with four germanium diodes, but silicon will probably give sufficient accuracy.

You can test the basic meter (without the rectifier) with a variable power supply and a 12k or 15k resistor in series with the movement. Set the supply to around 9V and increase it until you get full scale deflection.

PMM
Old 24th May 2023, 11:19 am   #22
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Default Re: MoD Voltmeter - wiring arrangement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmunro View Post
You can test the basic meter (without the rectifier) with a variable power supply and a 12k or 15k resistor in series with the movement. Set the supply to around 9V and increase it until you get full scale deflection.

PMM
I often use a DMM set to ohms and manual range where you can therefore 'drive' a movement with a precise and limited current.
Old 24th May 2023, 1:35 pm   #23
karesz*
Heptode

Hi Richard,
I do it often too, but these testing currents are, usually ~1mA (not exact=1mA!), so can be too much for some sensitive movement--so: be careful please, begin in higher range!
K.
Old 27th May 2023, 2:12 pm   #24
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by karesz* View Post
Hi Richard,
I do it often too, but these testing currents are, usually ~1mA (not exact=1mA!), so can be too much for some sensitive movement--so: be careful please, begin in higher range!
K.
Fortunately my DMM goes down to 500nA at high ranges, and then steps through 5µA, 10µA, 100µA, then max of 1mA.

But, yes, you do need to be careful - a bit like some older ohm meters and testing 1.4V filament battery valves...