UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2021, 2:29 pm   #1
HECTOR63
Banned

Default SDR Indoor Antenna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9EOQ2ouA9Y

This one looks at the possibility of using a TV Aerial!(Above)

http://www.on1bes.be/sdr_antenna_considerations_en.html

This one offers quite some good advise overall on this Genre which is becoming a great option for me to RX with at the moment(Above)

Old 19th Jan 2021, 6:14 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: SDR Indoor Antenna

What frequencies are you interested in Hector? The amateur bands from 1.8 -30MHz are very badly affected by noise from all kinds of domestic equipment and broadband lines. On 3.8MHz, some aerials will give you an S8 reading just on the noise background, so it's hard to hear anything through that.

One alternative is to use a magnetic loop aerial, which is largely immune to such noise. The Wellbrook company is probably the market leader for such aerials, which have been widely praised. Although a commercial one will set you back over £300, you can make one for ~£20.

There are several threads on the forum about them. Well worth considering and ideal for indoor use, but they won't work at VHF.

B
Old 19th Jan 2021, 6:19 pm   #3
ex seismic
Heptode

Also the "Mini-Whip" is worth considering. Gets good reviews and is available as a kit or ready built from various suppliers. Or home-brew, the circuit and details are readily available.

gmb.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 1:10 pm   #4
HECTOR63
Banned

Thanks for the replies Folks-Yes its a tricky one but whatever I can use on a possible Hardware SDR through PC although the one that comes already as per page of links I had posted recently works incredibly well with various bans. It is just to consider if its worth a trial and likewise loaded whips and coils have very practical up keeps but like and good Aerial its about developing frequency traps etc but some thing of general use would be good until I can get my self back into a workshop facility and go all out roof etc for Aerials etcI will do some searching on previous posts and see if I can find any experimental builds etc always good to get into some practical's as that's where you learn from good and bad in realtime
Old 20th Jan 2021, 2:02 pm   #5

A good aerial/antenna is the key to good radio reception. Many people think a "good/brillant" radio will work well with a poor aerial, that 'aint so. Spend time/money on a good one (the aerial).

Old 20th Jan 2021, 3:16 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

An SDR or an 'ordinary' type of radio both require an efficient aerial located away from as many external / local noise sources as possible. So for VHF/UHF, an outside aerial (dipole or Yagi log periodic) as high as possible. ideally on a rotator. For MF & HF, a traditional 'longwire' as high as possible and about 60 feet long plus an earth connection, fed to an AMU should be effective.

Al.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 3:18 pm   #7
HECTOR63
Banned

Thanks Merlin Yes totally agree very wise words of advice indeed also benefits in the long term to learn from such endeavour'sBut I'm on the case moving forward and looking into how far I can take it being located in a ground floor flat with a possible up and coming SDR and additional Hardware Spectrum analyser etc to go along with testing and learning to use plus all manor of other goodies that will start to apply I'm sure
Old 20th Jan 2021, 3:20 pm   #8
HECTOR63
Banned

Many Thanks for the out door advices Al much appreciated-as noted before as soon as I can get into a workshop somewhere then that's the project Land and neighbours allowing!
Old 24th Jan 2021, 4:11 pm   #9
Little-Freddie
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
A good aerial/antenna is the key to good radio reception. Many people think a "good/brillant" radio will work well with a poor aerial, that 'aint so. Spend time/money on a good one (the aerial).
.....So, so true,... Remember, the most important part of your shack, ain't in your shack!!
Closed Thread