UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2019, 6:43 pm   #1
Tom williams
Pentode

Default MK dimmer plug

Hi there,
Today I picked up this little Jem, it is an MK plug with another socket on the back, on the bottom there is a flex outlet which has a two-core flex leading to the dimmer switch shown in the photos, the plug has a maximum load of 400 Watts and uses the slightly older type socket shutters.

Photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190806_183801.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	187946   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190806_183813.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	187947   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190806_183902.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	187948  
Old 6th Aug 2019, 7:25 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: MK dimmer plug

I've not seen one of those before, although I have in the past cobbled together home made units that did much the same thing.

It's a pity MK abandoned that shutter design, it was an outward sign of some very well built accessories.
Old 6th Aug 2019, 7:32 pm   #3
Tom williams
Pentode

Hi rambo1152,
The only problem with this shutter design is that it makes it easy to shove a euro plug into the socket without an adaptor, as said by John ward.
https://youtu.be/4PB-nhM0YBY
Old 6th Aug 2019, 8:10 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
The only problem with this shutter design is that it makes it easy to shove a euro plug into the socket without an adaptor, as said by John ward.
Some of us would view that as a benefit/convenience not a problem!

I've not seen a "dimmer-adaptor" like the one shown; I'm intrigued - presumably the bit-with-the-knob is a traditional thyristor-dimmer, wired in series with the live-pins on the 'adaptor' bit?

I remember a similar sort of "regulator" thing - in traditional brown Bakelite - from my youth. It looked like an oversized 13A adapter but only had one socket-outlet, and a knob/dial on the top along with a little window through which a neon-bulb would glow. It was used to regulate the heat to infra-red heater-bulbs in lambing-pens. As the weak lambs got stronger the control would be dialed-back because they no longer needed so much radiant heat to keep them alive.
Old 6th Aug 2019, 9:33 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom williams View Post
Hi rambo1152,
https://youtu.be/4PB-nhM0YBY
There are two shutter designs of those sockets, the earlier design did accept a Europlug.

I'm a fan of JW, I wonder if he watches my channel
https://youtu.be/JSLuhwfDeXE
Old 8th Aug 2019, 9:32 am   #6
ralphshephard
Retired Dormant Member

Clas Ohlson (the really useful store) sell / used to sell a similar thing. Very useful for making real Christmas lights last longer.
Old 8th Aug 2019, 10:17 am   #7
BRASSBITS
Hexode

We used to sell them back in the day.

MK did two versions, the one in the op and a cone shaped one in bright orange.
Old 8th Aug 2019, 11:06 am   #8
Tom williams
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
There are two shutter designs of those sockets, the earlier design did accept a Europlug.
Hi rambo1152,
I did try a UK to euro adapter in it and all that happened was the shutters moved back, they did not allow the euro adapter to be inserted.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 2:28 am   #9
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom williams View Post
Some of us would view that as a benefit/convenience not a problem!

I've not seen a "dimmer-adaptor" like the one shown; I'm intrigued - presumably the bit-with-the-knob is a traditional thyristor-dimmer, wired in series with the live-pins on the 'adaptor' bit?

I remember a similar sort of "regulator" thing - in traditional brown Bakelite - from my youth. It looked like an oversized 13A adapter but only had one socket-outlet, and a knob/dial on the top along with a little window through which a neon-bulb would glow. It was used to regulate the heat to infra-red heater-bulbs in lambing-pens. As the weak lambs got stronger the control would be dialed-back because they no longer needed so much radiant heat to keep them alive.
In the US, it was a novelty to make table lamps to have a "touch" type dimmer, where all you had to do was touch the metal work on the lamp to select three light levels and off or on. Of course, our lamps are not earthed, because at our lower mains voltage. I actually repaired the dimmer module in a few. Generally it was a shorted triac, that failed because of a short circuit lamp.
I bought a lamp module from a charity shop, that was similar to the one shown. It worked just by plugging a lamp in that had a metal base. It works the same as one that has a dimmer module built in.
Dave, as usual, always collecting.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 9:51 am   #10
paulsherwin

The vast majority of table lamps in the UK are also unearthed. They are fitted with a BS1363 13A 3 pin plug because that is the only plug in the system. The earth pin isn't connected to anything and just operates the socket shutters.

Touch controlled lamps were also popular here for a while, but now appear to have fallen out of fashion.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 3:16 pm   #11

Quote:
but now appear to have fallen out of fashion
All done by ones* 'phone these days (another useless gadget). All my lights are digital, I put my digit on a switch and a binary result happens, on or off.

Back on topic, it is reassuring to see a 13A socket labelled for reduced current use, as I want to tap from the lighting circuit for a low power use socket (charging SHMBOs eBike in a lit shed).

*Everyone assumes you have one, I don't

Old 10th Aug 2019, 5:08 pm   #12
usradcoll1
Heptode

I own one of the lowest price phones that I seldom use! I have over 3500 minutes of use left.
Back on topic, If I can buy an electrical gadget for mere pennies , I can't resist it!
As usual, your entries are very cleverly written!
Dave, US radcoll1, another one that caters to my feline types.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 6:28 pm   #13
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Yes, Dave, we do love our cats here on UKVRRR!

Peter.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 8:38 pm   #14

Quote:
As usual, your entries are very cleverly written!
If that is me it's down to a very nice lunch at the local gastropub with 'er indoors with a good helping of an ethanol based side dish.

On topic bit, dimmed lights and a cat or two are useful after that.

Old 11th Aug 2019, 5:11 pm   #15
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The vast majority of table lamps in the UK are also unearthed. They are fitted with a BS1363 13A 3 pin plug because that is the only plug in the system. The earth pin isn't connected to anything and just operates the socket shutters.

Touch controlled lamps were also popular here for a while, but now appear to have fallen out of fashion.
The new US NEMA 5-15 receptacles have a form of shutter system incorporated. The live and neutral prongs have to be inserted simultaneously for the shutters to open. They're generally located in areas that would be accessible to small children.
USradcoll1, Dave.
Old 11th Aug 2019, 6:42 pm   #16
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Sounds like the excellent 1980s MK sockets, that didn't have an earth pin-operated shutter system (see pic)

I've had them in this house for forty years, and never had a fault, or needed to replace any.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20190811_18_33_18_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	188210  

Peter.
Old 12th Aug 2019, 1:38 am   #17
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
Sounds like the excellent 1980s MK sockets, that didn't have an earth pin-operated shutter system (see pic)

I've had them in this house for forty years, and never had a fault, or needed to replace any.

Same here, although none of mine are switched.
I've just had a kitchen refit, and now I have seven double and one single sockets of unknown manufacturer, but at least they have switches.
I tell you, they'll be trouble!

I like slim BICC plugs as well, even it they are "illegal" now.
Old 12th Aug 2019, 2:08 am   #18
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Most of mine aren't switched either (pic) The one with switches was bought specially because, years ago, we only had a basic manual electric kettle (no auto switch-off) and my Mother didn't like unplugging the boiling kettle every time, because there was usually a blue spark when the plug was withdrawn.

I really like the Legrand/BICC plugs too! Why are they 'illegal', Graham?

First I've heard of it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20190811_18_35_50_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	188227  

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 12th Aug 2019 at 2:34 am.
Old 12th Aug 2019, 3:28 am   #19
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Non-sleeved L & N pins. Must not be fitted to equipment offered for sale or hire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2 plug.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	188228  
Old 12th Aug 2019, 3:43 am   #20
Lancs Lad
Heptode

I have twelve of those plugs, Graham.

Ten have sleeved pins, and two haven't - all in regular use!

I live dangerously me

Peter.
Closed Thread